View Single Post
Old September 5th, 2009, 17:47   #72
m102404
Tys

Manchovie...If the disassembled mags are in the "FUCK...I can't bear to tackle that" pile...I'd love to take a crack at one of them. They're the only thing I haven't taken apart with this system...solely because I'm still messing with the nozzle system. But if you don't mind me messing with one of yours, I'll give it a shot.

I've noticed on some fills that "over filling" will cause it to vent. Then you're sure to pop off the tiny little o-rings...I have 3 out of 5 without the o-ring. Anyone know how to put that oring back on...it's so freaking small that I can hardly manipulate it.

Last night and today I messed around with the floating valve/nozzle assembly to try and get some sort of more predictable/adjustable velocity.

Mark1: Spacer screwed onto threaded part of rod
- brass
- m4 threaded (CW/RH)
- ~2.7mm thick moves the stock AWSS valve up far enough to give sub 400fps (340~)...not sure of what it'll do in hot temps.

Mark2: Modified AWSS valve (RedGreen attempt at the WE NPAS SCAR design)
- drilled and tapped through the center of the valve for a M4 threaded screw
- with the valve pushed forward the distance of the screw head...FPS is bang on 400fps (396-401fps)
- the screw body protrudes down the center of the valve...probably inhibiting the flow of gas
- if I can find a way to "grab" the end of the screw (the head is in the valve assembly)...I'll be able to adjust it. I'm not sure if my diamond blade is thin enough to cut a cross slot on a M4 screw. Thinking of milling two flats on the screw body and making a jig with a slot to reach down through the nozzle and grab the screw.
- if that works it'll be adjustable...but I'm not sure that with such little bearing surface (i.e. small screw and thin amount of material that it's going through) that it won't work itself loose quickly. With blue loctite it held it's setting for about 10 shots, before it started to "shorten" itself.

Mark3: Home made valve
- I machined a valve out of brass.
- smaller diameter center hole in barrel and a 4 hole arrangement vs. the AWSS "2 sides cut away" setup
- weird...between 200-300fps...wild fluctuations
- works though......more tinkering needed

So predictable sub-400 seems acheivable...rock solid predictable 350 is no so concrete. Whatever comes out...I really wonder if there'll ever be a "drop this into your existing assembly and you shoot xxx" (unless they give you the majority of the bolt assembly).

The saga continues....

Last edited by m102404; September 5th, 2009 at 18:06..
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote