Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

New guy going from real to airsoft. These laws are confusing.

:

Newbie Tank

Old February 29th, 2012, 13:50   #1
bubblewhip

New guy going from real to airsoft. These laws are confusing.

So I'm new to the airsoft field and I'm comming off from someone who is more interested in using real firearms than airsoft or BB. But the cost of ammo is really expensive so I started looking at airsoft as a solution. I started brushing through the laws in your faq here, and some other posts here, and where is what i found.

For the sake of argument I am going to use two firearms you can purchase legally in Canada that is very tactical looking.

IMI TAVOR
.223 caliber
10 round Magazine

Kel Tec SU-22
.22 LR Caliber
27 (I think) Magazine

Importing:
Airsoft: You basically cannot import and airsoft gun that resembles anything like a real gun, even if it was under legal velocity, chances are that it has a very high chance of being seized by customs for at least forensic testing byt the RCMP

Real Guns: At least afik from the US, you simply import your firearm either through airport security (by you physically crossing the border) and with the required paperwork. So long as everything is under legal requirements you are clear. (paperwork may have changed from killing the long gun registry)

Difference: You can legally import a real gun much more easily than the airsoft gun of the same model (infact you cannot import the airsoft gun at all)

Messed up level: Pretty messed up

Ownership:

airsoft: You cannot own anything resembling the real gun

real guns: You can own the real gun that is illegal in airsoft, even with a 27 round magazine or a 16 round pump action 12 gauge

Difference: You can own the gun that is the actual dangerous object that's ability to kill is much much greater than the airsoft gun.

messed up level: Super messed up

Actual Use:

Airsoft: Basically you can only use it in private environments and you will get hell for using it in any public field or forest.

Real guns: So long as you are in areas of Canada where a discharge of a firearm is legal and safe such as hunting grounds, you may use any non-restricted firearm in a public area. (there are plenty of these)

Difference: Apparently airsoft guns are so dangerous that the government and public see real guns to be more safe than airsoft.

messed up level: :banghead:

what the hell.

Is Airsoft this messed up that it be better to own real guns instead?
bubblewhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 13:56   #2
Deadpool

Welcome to the crazy world of canadian airsoft laws!!

Vérificateur d'age Mauricie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
So you're saying we cannot engage in a hobby once we are older?

Children these days.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 14:00   #4
Crunchmeister

Buy a toy Tavor that at worse can cause someone bruises, and you're a public threat and responsible for the decline of our civilization.

Buy a real one, and as long as you have your PAL, you're fine and it's not dangerous.
Old February 29th, 2012, 14:10   #5
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Check out the "airgun" law sheet on the RCMP.GRC website. That will solidify your understanding of what is legal and not. A little black and white, but very clear.

Airsoft guns may or may not replicate real firearms with near prescision which causes a few regulation issues. There are several posts on this, and should be read in detail for thorough information.

The general idea is that you "should not" import guns on your own. Check with licsenced retailers, they can probably get you what you want. As the CBSA has it's own rules they can seize or destroy anything they want within reason.

Another major point is that replica firearms are prohibited devices. That would include any device that "replicates a firearm with near precision". The Canadian firearms program came up with a standard to help with this. Any airgun that replicates a real firearm with near precision that is capable of inducing bodily harm with a projectile is legal. Basically they decided that a standard 0.2 gram BB traveling between 407-499 is capable of hurting someone. And a replica cannot hurt someone. So to move into the "non replica" classification happens at 407 FPS plus. Once the Airsoft gun "can" hurt someone.

It makes sense in a political/beauracratic kind of way. But is is a goofy way of going about it. Airsoft is legal once you can shoot someones eye out, lol.

Do some more reading and talk to a few retailers, but that's the basic idea. Make sure to check out the airgun fact sheet on the RCMP website. There are links to it on these forums. As well as stories and experiences. Airsoft can be a very rewarding hobby, wether you play or collect.
Old February 29th, 2012, 14:22   #6
Rookie021

You guys might want to check this out:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...2-005-eng.html
Rookie021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 14:30   #7
Jimski

this is where all the fuckery stems from:
Quote:
6. If an airsoft gun, firing a .20g 6mm plastic pellet, shoots below 111.6 m/s (366 fps), and resembles with near precision an existing make and model of a firearm, other than an antique firearm, it will be classified as replica firearm. Replica firearms are prohibited devices and must meet import requirements as listed in D19-13-2.
this is how you transform a toy into an object of the devil, made in hell and brought to earth by demons.The purpose of it being to avoid having people assaulting depanneurs with fake M4s to steal 300$ in cash and coins.
Old February 29th, 2012, 15:14   #8
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

I see ......They changed it again. It seems like a change for the better, but more reading is required. Good find.
Old February 29th, 2012, 15:23   #9
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

You'll enjoy airsoft and it is legal to own. aslong as...grandfather....BS...more BS... they cant prove grandfather rule. Yup your safe.
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 15:30   #10
kyle milliken

Quote:
4. Based on the latest research, it is now established that the muzzle velocity at which a .20g 6mm plastic airsoft projectile is capable of causing serious bodily injury is 111.6 m/s (366 fps).

5. Airsoft guns, firing a .20g 6mm plastic pellet, with a muzzle velocity above 111.6 m/s (366 fps), will be classified as firearms. Please refer to D19-13-2 for the import requirements of low muzzle velocity firearms, including low muzzle velocity “uncontrolled” firearms.
am i reading this right because, to me it says that any airsoft guns coming into the country now don't have to shoot that bullshit 407+fps they only need to shoot over 366fps.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)
kyle milliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 15:41   #11
JonsM4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle milliken View Post
am i reading this right because, to me it says that any airsoft guns coming into the country now don't have to shoot that bullshit 407+fps they only need to shoot over 366fps.
Under 366
Old February 29th, 2012, 15:48   #12
kyle milliken

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonsM4 View Post
Under 366
what! they have to shoot under 366 now instead of over 407fps that's... that's AWESOME. does that mean more Tokyo marui?

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
Albert Einstein
Old February 29th, 2012, 15:49   #13
Crunchmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonsM4 View Post
Under 366
Re-read. Under 366 it's a replica. Over 366 it's an uncontrolled firearm.

It's only legal if it's able to cause serious bodily injury. If it can't hurt you, it's illegal.

Gotta love our laws.
Old February 29th, 2012, 15:53   #14
kyle milliken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchmeister View Post
Re-read. Under 366 it's a replica. Over 366 it's an uncontrolled firearm.

It's only legal if it's able to cause serious bodily injury. If it can't hurt you, it's illegal.

Gotta love our laws.
so i did read it right and, now that i have that all out of my system i have to ask. How is this going to change Canadian airsoft? well guns be cheaper, the same price, more available, etc?

Albert Einstein
Old February 29th, 2012, 16:07   #15
Conker

Tokyo Marui AEGs are has-been anyways.
Conker is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank