Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

CA M249 box mag Q

:

Accessories Discussion

Old August 24th, 2012, 09:04   #1
danhay

CA M249 box mag Q

I would like to ask for suggestions for an auto-winding box mags for a CA M249/Mk.46. I have read (on this forum and others - I have searched so don't jump on me) that the sound controlled mags can be a little flaky with the sound board thingy breaking fairly easily. With that in mind, are the auto-winding units NFG? Should I go with a manual switch actuated unit?

May I ask for any suggestions or recommendations any of you may have for a good box mag for a CA M249?

Thanks very much in advance for any assistance any of you may offer.

Cheers - Dan
danhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 09:11   #2
durak

My big green box mag that came with my saw never worked, and the replacements i got never did either so I cant comment on the large one. I had the CA cloth style mag, it worked like a dream, but the capacity was too limited. so I picked up a MAG cloth mag and it did its job well.

between the two styles I prefer the auto wind, but on higher rates of fire(30+bb/s) it doesn't keep up on long bursts and empties out too fast, being only 1500 rnds. right now im using an AD classic sound controlled box mag jsut because i can put a battery in the mag. it works well. im a few months into using it, sound controll is working like a charm. if it does ever break down, it wont be too hard to splice in a pressure switch.
durak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 11:20   #3
drk242

buddy of mine is upgrading the 249 mags to keep up with the rof and batteries that are rechargeable. his parra was not feeding fast enough now with his mods he is grouping bursts 4inches at 200-250 feet out . 7th angel . does great work.
Old August 24th, 2012, 13:14   #4
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

I recommend the A&K box mags
If I remember correctly, they're significantly more reliable than the CA boxes, and they have room to mount a large battery inside the box. You can also run your box feeder off that large battery making things simple.
Also, I'd rig the boxes up like the G&P style. Get a pressure switch with a 10" lead and use that to turn your feeder on. And secure the switch just above your grip, so you can hit it with your thumb.

Then it feeds when you need it to feed, and most importantly, it STOPS when you need it to STOP.
It's so aggravating trying to listen for people calling hits and all you can here is the damn auto-winding box mag.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 20:27   #5
scubasteve

+1 on the A&K box mag if your using a Classic Army. I had nothing but problems with my CA 249 box mag.
scubasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 20:58   #6
coach
aka coachster

I run a 9.6v mini with the CA big box mag and just the standard 9v with the CA nutsack. Both seem to keep up with the high ROF of the DG CA m249.

The wiring was upgraded in the big green box prior to me buying it with the gun
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 15:21   #7
Rommen

Just bought a CA Mk46 spw today, now looking for a box mag. From reading this thread I gather the A&K is the best brand to buy atm? Other places I've looked recommend MAG boxes as well.. any more info would be appreciated
Rommen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 16:09   #8
scubasteve

I'm not sure about the MAG brand one (only mag brand Ive owned is there M4 midcaps) But every CA box mag Ive owned sucked. Maybe thats just me and the way I play. I tend to run into tree's and recently pulled a thundercactus and went full bore into a trailer hitch. But in the 1.5 years I gamed with my old CA M249MKII with a A&K box mag it never once gave me problems. For box mags G&P takes the cake then A&K. Just my opinion I'm sure there will be somebody here who disagrees with me.
Old September 1st, 2012, 16:34   #9
Rommen

Scubasteve, were you using the sound activated box or manual pressure switch?
Rommen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 17:33   #10
scubasteve

My A&K box was a manual switch. Ive always heard bad things about the sound activated.
Old September 11th, 2012, 15:04   #11
danhay

Thanks very much all for your assistance with box mags.
Old September 15th, 2012, 17:36   #12
disasterarea

Have you thought about going with a self-winding STANAG-type mag? Wouldn't be right from a sim perspective on a Mk 46 (the real one omits the STANAG magwell and only feeds from a belt), but it's an option. Much more attractive too if you're like me and have short arms. I can't shoulder my A&K SAW with the box mag on without resting the mag on my arm somewhere.
disasterarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 15:39   #13
danhay

A short while ago I purchased a Classic Army 1200 rnd box mag (often referred to as a nut-sack). I used it for the first time at a 24 hour game this past weekend. It worked like a charm until I got some dirt or crud in there which jammed up the feed tube something fierce (and right at a critical moment no less). I will now completely dis-assemble the box to ensure that I remove all dirt and crud as that jam was no fun at all.

The things I liked about the mag are as follows:
  • I was very impressed with the compact size of the mag which made it quite easy to fire my SAW from any position.
  • The box is dead easy to fill via the large door/hatch.
  • The spring loaded riser platform is a nice touch as it eliminates noise from loose BBs sloshing around in a half-filled box.
  • The mag kept up with long trigger pulls. Not once did I experience any dry firing due to the mag not feeding fast enough. When I was testing the mag at home I emptied a full mag in one trigger pull and the mag kept pace nicely (I was using a 11.1 V 20 c LiPo).

I was impressed with the mag thought I did note a few short comings:
  • I dislodged the box feed door a few times dumping most of the contents of the box. This is likely the method of ingress of the aforementioned dirt which jammed the feed tube. I will fashion some sort of safety clip or strap over the feed door to ensure this does not happen in the future.
  • The auto-winder often kept spinning/feeding even after it was clear that the feed channel was full. I found myself shutting the feed/power off quite often to avoid possibly stripping the presumably plastic gears inside. A load detecting cut-off for the feed motor would be a nice touch.
  • The 1200 round capacity is not quite enough for really heavy engagements. Providing covering fire for your squad chews through ammo at a fierce rate!

Overall I was very happy with the mag. I would not hesitate to recommend this mag to others.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion