Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

A&K FN M249 Mk. I / C9A1 GPMG Inquiry.

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old March 20th, 2014, 17:17   #1
Corinth

A&K FN M249 Mk. I / C9A1 GPMG Inquiry.

I was talking to a good buddy of mine awhile ago about airsoft and he was wondering if there was a C9 available. I know of a couple of companies that do the FN M249 Mk. I, including Classic Army, but I know A&K also does one. Has anybody had experience working on these models, specifically the A&K? I'm a question whore, I know. A&K doesn't surprise me as a very reputable company but as I'm new with a lot of the lesser known Chinese brands I thought some of you might have valuable input on the subject. Do the internals need to be beefed up? How does one go about putting an Elcan C79 sight on top of the receiver? Where do I find one of those nifty Canadian Forces Cheek Rests?

...*drum roll* BEGIN! lol

Honour and Respect... Pew! Pew!

Last edited by Corinth; March 20th, 2014 at 17:23..
Corinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 20:56   #2
Wilkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinth View Post
I was talking to a good buddy of mine awhile ago about airsoft and he was wondering if there was a C9 available. I know of a couple of companies that do the FN M249 Mk. I, including Classic Army, but I know A&K also does one. Has anybody had experience working on these models, specifically the A&K? I'm a question whore, I know. A&K doesn't surprise me as a very reputable company but as I'm new with a lot of the lesser known Chinese brands I thought some of you might have valuable input on the subject. Do the internals need to be beefed up? How does one go about putting an Elcan C79 sight on top of the receiver? Where do I find one of those nifty Canadian Forces Cheek Rests?

...*drum roll* BEGIN! lol
I run a CA M249 as a primary. Love it. It's had about $200 worth of work done to it, though its certainly gameable out of the box.

I've been far less impressed by the A&K 249s I've seen, but they aren't bad. I would recommend doing some work to it, however, considerably more so than the CA.

The models based on more modern versions of the Minimi will have a rail running upon it's feed try, which can mount an optic. I assume the mk.1 you speak of is an older design without a rail, so you'll have to hunt down a whole new feed tray.

I'm not sure what you mean by cheek rest, however if you mean the pad on the C9a2's stock, you may have to do some hunting. That said, I would recommend you scrap that and go with a solid stock so you can run a larger battery.

If I were to buy a new SAW, I would go for a CA mk46
Wilkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 23:15   #3
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

for the love of god do not get the classic army C9, they call it "minimi" specifically
it's their first gen M249 and it couldn't be any more obvious.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 23:37   #4
Wilkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
for the love of god do not get the classic army C9, they call it "minimi" specifically
it's their first gen M249 and it couldn't be any more obvious.
Well, an m249 is built on the minimi platform.
Old March 29th, 2014, 00:00   #5
J.Martel

My A&K C9A1, its possible with a little work
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1966813_10152234226274725_1328896250_n.jpg (57.1 KB, 48 views)
Old March 29th, 2014, 01:24   #6
ThunderCactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkie View Post
Well, an m249 is built on the minimi platform.
the M249 IS the minimi, but classic army only refers to one product only as the minimi
Old March 31st, 2014, 12:16   #7
Corinth

Quote:
The models based on more modern versions of the Minimi will have a rail running upon it's feed try, which can mount an optic. I assume the mk.1 you speak of is an older design without a rail, so you'll have to hunt down a whole new feed tray.

I'm not sure what you mean by cheek rest, however if you mean the pad on the C9a2's stock, you may have to do some hunting. That said, I would recommend you scrap that and go with a solid stock so you can run a larger battery.

If I were to buy a new SAW, I would go for a CA mk46
I imagine the M249 is the designation of the United States Armed Forces:

Light Machine Gun, Caliber 5.56, M249.

Whether it's that, Minimi, MAG, etc, we know thoroughly now that it's also the Canadian Forces C9 family of light support weapons. That being said, my friend has a hard on for the Mk.1, which is closest to the original C9A1. I don't have a problem modifying the feed tray so it can support a M1913 MIL-STD rails but I would prefer it if there was already one available for purchase.

I mistakenly put cheek rest earlier when I meant stock grip that mounts onto the tubular stock of the original Mk.1, as seen in the picture below. Similar in concept to the British stock grip on their L86A1 LSW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Martel View Post
My A&K C9A1, its possible with a little work
That, sir, is one fine instrument of warfare. Can I inquire as to how you went about putting the rail on the feeding tray? Save me some work?

Old March 31st, 2014, 12:52   #8
Brit ter

You can buy a railed feed tray cover !
Old March 31st, 2014, 12:55   #9
Brit ter

Here is a pic of mine !but mine is the para version .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (1.02 MB, 33 views)
Old March 31st, 2014, 14:25   #10
Corinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit ter View Post
You can buy a railed feed tray cover !
Arrow Dynamic makes one, out of stock @ eHobbyAsia but that's better than having to modify the feed tray.

Also, I registered on CADEX to view the prices of the C9 accessories and my wallet cried. I'm going to give them a call at some point and see if I can fandangle myself a tubular stock grip. I found a thread here about someone else looking for one...

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=113672

If I can, then I'm going to begin a C9 project with my buddy and I'll make sure to post pictures of what we've done.

Old March 31st, 2014, 19:56   #11
Wilkie

Just remember that your going to have to put a big battery in there. Common places to stash it are a solid style stock, or under the 249's heat shield. Unfortunately the c9a1 has neither

That rear grip is unfortunately illigal for a civilian to own, as silly as it sounds. Same with the offset grip you see one some of them. I'm not sure of a replica of either of them.
Old March 31st, 2014, 22:33   #12
ThunderCactus

or in the box mag
Old March 31st, 2014, 23:19   #13
Wilkie

True, true that's also an option. I go with the MAG 100 round style box so I don't have room for a battery in there
Old April 2nd, 2014, 09:39   #14
Corinth

Quote:
Just remember that your going to have to put a big battery in there. Common places to stash it are a solid style stock, or under the 249's heat shield. Unfortunately the c9a1 has neither

That rear grip is unfortunately illigal for a civilian to own, as silly as it sounds. Same with the offset grip you see one some of them. I'm not sure of a replica of either of them.
If it's military property or holds a patent under the DoD, I'm waiting to hear back from CADEX on that one. There's a number of mid-life upgrade programs going on right now in the CF, that being said it could also be under license from Fabrique Nationale in which case that's just as much a no-go.

I talked with my buddy and he seems more interested in the Classic Army Minimi, now. Which is good, saves some time on fixing up that beast. I personally wouldn't be caught dead lugging around that thing. lol

As for the battery dilemma, I'll let him know. Thanks, mate.

EDIT:

They must not be that hard to get a hold of. >>> http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=71821 <<<

Last edited by Corinth; April 2nd, 2014 at 10:22..
Old May 26th, 2014, 02:51   #15
vise101

Hi gents,

Quick question, how is the port for the bbs oriented? Do they feed from the side, top or bottom?
I am doing a custom gun and need to have a top feed or side feed for the bbs.

TIA

Kevin
vise101 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion