:

Accessories Discussion

Old August 24th, 2008, 10:27   #1
Auhydride

Send a message via ICQ to Auhydride Send a message via MSN to Auhydride
Goggles with RX inserts

So far, i only found these
http://www.opticsplanet.net/ess-striker-rx-insert.html
in these http://www.esseyepro.com/Profile-Tur...53_detail.html to be useful.
There are a few goggles that allow RX inserts, and say the goggles won't fog up, but problem is, the RX lenses fog up and you can't just apply anti-fog products on them (strips their filtering, which has to stay to avoid reflections, also can blur them)
What do you people use?
Are there any alternative goggles with ventilation, similiar to the turbofan ones? That also have RX inserts?
I don't want to wear glasses under goggles, it's just trouble.

Also if anyone have any rx inserts for the ESS striker and turbo goggles that they don't use, i'm willing to buy one or two

Last edited by Auhydride; August 24th, 2008 at 10:32..
Auhydride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 10:38   #2
dpvu

Send a message via MSN to dpvu
There's some made by Wiley-X. I'm not sure if the prescription lenses on those fog though. I personally wear glasses under my goggles. It's not trouble unless they start to fog (just like RX inserts). I've yet to really find a good anti-fog for glasses but I find a coat of soap can keep it under control.
Old August 24th, 2008, 10:46   #3
Auhydride

Do you just soap and clean the glasses?
Old August 24th, 2008, 10:51   #4
Auhydride

Also
http://www.botachtactical.com/eyesafsyscbc.html
http://www.botachtactical.com/essprtugo.html
http://www.botachtactical.com/esssttugo.html

Whats the difference between these? Just the looks, or what? There have to be reason for them to release 3 types
Old August 24th, 2008, 11:00   #5
tentacle

The problem with glasses, as I'm sure you know, is that if your head is tilted down then you cannot see over the glasses should you need to look up but keep the head tilted down. Vice versa, too. Contacts solve this.

Do yourself a favor and consider contact lenses. Get the disposable kind just for airsoft and sports. Contacts never fog up and provide TOTAL field of vision, unlike glasses which do not provide peripheral coverage. As well, Contacts stay put and weigh nothing.

In my opinion, the "turbo-fan" thing is a gimmick. I have the ESS Turbofan goggles and they've been nothing but troublesome. Others seem to be happy. For one thing, they make a shitload of noise. And I don't just mean ambient noise, I mean they drown out noises that other people are making such as when they're approaching. Giveaway sounds such as branches snapping or other soft sounds get masked out by the fan. The fan itself emits noise, something to consider.

The fan connections are a point of failure. Mine have become "flaky", as in the fan stops/starts working if I play around with the switch. The fan also WILL NOT make you fog free, not in weather such as high humidity, rain, and heavy sweating. Neither will the non-fan ones but at least those don't cost you $150-$200.

Last edited by tentacle; August 24th, 2008 at 11:13..
tentacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 11:08   #6
Auhydride

Allergic :D
I noticed, the RX inserts are quite big, using plenty of space inside the goggles, http://www.botachtactical.com/bolatrxad.html these ones look especially big.
It should solve the reduced field of vision, thats why i use big glasses for daily use,
The ESS inserts seem to be a bit smaller.
yeah i'm a bit obsessed with "perfect vision", for example i don't touch my glasses, at all, don't even clean them with cloth, i just apply some liquid soap on them, rub the soap on them a bit, and keep it under the shower, pressured water until the water cleans the soap off, than i dip the glasses into a bowl of clean water and slowly take them out, if you do it correctly, the glasses will come out of the water completely dry because of the water's surface tension. This way you can prevent your glasses from blurring out at least 2-3 years.

Last edited by Auhydride; August 24th, 2008 at 11:12..
Old August 24th, 2008, 11:21   #7
eV.Viper

I'm using the ESS Advancer V12 and Ice 2.4, both can take the RX Insert
eV.Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 11:29   #8
Auhydride

Do you think "ESS Advancer V12" cover enough area around the eyes? I don't like the ice series much, not that safe, especially while playing with my friends.
Old August 24th, 2008, 11:31   #9
eV.Viper

the Advancer cover all your eyes. No chances a BB can hit your eyes !!
eV.Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 12:18   #10
Zekk05

Send a message via ICQ to Zekk05 Send a message via AIM to Zekk05 Send a message via MSN to Zekk05 Send a message via Yahoo to Zekk05
Ive been using Ice tactical glasses with RX inserts and in the 2 years and they only ever for when its hot out and raining. Which is rare.

I also use 1day contact lenses as theyre by far the superior choice, but I like having a backup method in case im in a rush one morning, or if i forget something.
Old August 24th, 2008, 13:42   #11
Drake
E-01

I use ESS NVG Profile goggles and ICE 2.4 glasses, both use the same wire frame Rx insert. I was never able to use contacts, they drive me insane and end up irritating my eye (and my mood).

Field of vision isn't really a problem since the goggle's frame limits your field around the edges, plus I'm usually wearing either a ball cap, boonie hat or helmet (MICH), all of which force me to tilt my head back (when prone) to see forward.

Your Rx inserts get their own set of prescription lenses, so coating isn't really a problem. I got the most basic set with no anti-fog or anti-reflection coating, and use my own anti-fog solution (Sea Drops). The reasoning for no treatment on the lenses is simple: the anti-fog they use isn't sufficient for airsoft, and the polycarb lenses on the goggles don't have anti-reflection, so even if your Rx lenses are treated you'll get reflection anyway. Better to save your money and use your own anti-fogging solution. And with a hat on, reflection has rarely been an issue.
Old August 24th, 2008, 16:03   #12
Auhydride

I just placed order for a bolle t-800 with rx holders, if the shipping doesn't cost much, i might just get those.
Also contacts are annoying for sure, i quit fencing because my eye got irritated from contacts.
btw Drake whats that thing in your avatar?
Old September 18th, 2008, 09:43   #13
Auhydride

Bloody botach, i shouldn't have ordered from them lol.
Old October 11th, 2008, 16:32   #14
Auhydride

These goggles are nice, i hope i will be able to get some RX glasses cut to them, i still need to trim my eyelashes though
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:41   #15
Auhydride

So, after spending 430$ on these, (90$ the goggles inc shipping) (90$ for the eye exam to get my RX again) (250$ on the glasses since both of my eyes are -7.25 and %55 thinned lenses were used)
it fogs up, the lenses does, not the goggles, i tried OP DROPS, still fogs up.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion