Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Tamiya to Deans

:

Accessories Discussion

Old March 23rd, 2012, 15:18   #1
hungryforbbs

Tamiya to Deans

Would the added resistance coming from using an intermediary Tamiya to Deans adapter significantly affect power loss and trigger response time coming from an 11.1v 15C Li-Po battery?
hungryforbbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 15:26   #2
tunabreath

In my experience, the difference isn't that significant. I don't have any numbers for you though.

If you're concerned about it, might I suggest having your own guns and batteries wired with deans, and using a deans to tamiya adapter for compatibility rather than the other way around?
Old March 23rd, 2012, 15:37   #3
PrIeSt
takagari

Send a message via MSN to PrIeSt Send a message via Skype™ to PrIeSt
not not really. But the issue is not response it's reliability.
That offers more places for it to break, for a bad connection to actually damage wires etc.. etc.

If at all possible wimply rewire to all deans. This is sort of like plugging an extension cord into an extension cord at home. Sure it works.. But is never recomended practice.
PrIeSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 22:28   #4
kalnaren

Tamiya connectors in general have a shitload of resistance. Rewire completely to something that doesn't suck.. like deans or XT60.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 01:25   #5
THe_Silencer

The Tamiya portion of the connection will heat up like hell and potentially melt, quite possibly shorting out you battery. Do yourself a favour and switch to Deans or XT60 if you're running lipos.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle
-Founder of Steel City Hamilton Infantry and Tactics
-Certified level 43 Autosniper by Commander Amos
THe_Silencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 15:25   #6
Kos-Mos

As Silencer said, it will heat and melt.
Heat means resistance.

So yes, if your LiPo is just barely large enough for the load you put on, the connector will cause ROF/response to drop.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 19:41   #7
johjoh

Send a message via MSN to johjoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
Tamiya connectors in general have a shitload of resistance. Rewire completely to something that doesn't suck.. like deans or XT60.
+1 For XT60, they are amazing, and dirt cheap for genuine connectors. (3.19$ U.S. for 5 Pairs of connectors.)

Found here --> http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9572

And some adapters if you don't want to switch your charger's connector --> http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10257
johjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 20:35   #8
Pesky

Send a message via AIM to Pesky Send a message via Skype™ to Pesky
Okay, i've been debating on switching my gun form Tamiya to deans but i didn't know about XT60 connectors so now which are better and easier, clearly just form this read XT60 connectors seem like the best choice so what do you guys think? xt60 over deans ?
Old March 27th, 2012, 20:59   #9
L473ncy

XT60. I think Deans are considered "barbaric" in the RC world. There are much better alternatives from EC3, to XT60's, to TRX connectors. Hell you could even use Castle Creations bullet connectors potentially but I wouldn't recommend it (potential for arcing even if you seal them up properly with heat shrink). eg. like how this guy has his setup (I assume that's his motor connected up to an ESC): http://www.helifreak.com/attachment....1&d=1309676666
Old March 27th, 2012, 22:14   #10
kalnaren

Many in the RC world use deans.. I use them on all my planes. EC3 connectors can burn in hell.

XT60 are easier to solder than deans, they're slight;y larger though so if space is an issue deans are the better choice.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 23:02   #11
PrIeSt
takagari

Send a message via MSN to PrIeSt Send a message via Skype™ to PrIeSt
From what I've seen online the 60s are also more consistant. I have 5 variations of deans here.
PrIeSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 03:02   #12
THe_Silencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by takagari View Post
From what I've seen online the 60s are also more consistant. I have 5 variations of deans here.
I wouldn't be to quick to say that. I've seen at least 5 different variations of the XT60s, 3 of which are supposedly OEMed by the original factory that produced them (Amass, Turnigy, or no markings). Even with the official manufacturer QC can be spotty. It seems some batches pit together perfectly while others cannot be pulled apart with the use of pliers. It's this type of inconsistency that I have yet to see from authentic Deans.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle
-Founder of Steel City Hamilton Infantry and Tactics
-Certified level 43 Autosniper by Commander Amos
THe_Silencer is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion