Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

WE MK18-ish Build

:

Airsoft Media

Old June 5th, 2014, 02:33   #1
CrAzy AziAn

WE MK18-ish Build

So, I've owned a couple guns getting into this hobby/sport - first was a WE416 which I had to sell for school, but after I owned a Classic Army HK33 AEG which I also sold because I just didn't like the aeg side of the fence.

Missing the feel of the recoil and limited capacity mags, I decided - with inspiration from reading, researching and talking to Turok-T - to build my own WE M4/MK18/Personal rifle.

I'm not looking for any realism, with the 10.3" barrel and the Daniel Defense markings up the body, just a rifle I can say I personally built, and fielded at Nightfall. So here it is!

CrAzy AziAn's MK18-ish Build

Out with the Old
It started out as a used rifle I got off Deltastone. Was a closed bolt, came with an RA-Tech Trigger, NPAS, DD Mk18 9" rail, and the history and dings he's put into the gun.

I ended up selling the rail because it was missing some hardware and was scratched to hell... from regular use. I wanted to ultimately repaint it and put my own wear and tear on it.

I swapped the crane stock it came with, with my trusty ACM Magpul UBR stock, that was purchased and used on the 416. In my opinion, hands down, best looking stock ever. Tossed in the old stack of 5/16" washers to act as the spacer for the buffer tube. Previously learned that the bolt gets stuck in the back if there isn't spacers in the tube.

Order Up
I liked the look of the MK18 RISII rails, but not a fan of the super compact CQB sized 9", so I got a Madbull 12.5".

The sights of choice were Madbull DD irons - as a student you don't get the income to afford real steel parts.

For refinish I got a kit of Duracoat "matte black" and plan on painting it after Nightfall when I can rip it apart and finish her up. (Body, 2 uppers)

I'm used to running open bolt kits in my gbbrs, so swapped the closed bolt, and found a used M4A1 upper from a fellow member, which will be the swap for the CQB outer barrel. Daniel Defense low profile gas block mounted - of course!

Thanks friarsn for the last minute barrel and spare upper receiver! The new barrel threads were able to screw on the Dragon Muzzle break. I guess the old 10.3" was stripped. (Noted to fix in Stage 2)

Gas block lined up and assembled to the barrel. The Madbull delta ring doesn't have an opening where the upper reciever gas block hole is. I cut the gas tube shorter to fit butt end to the delta ring. The gas block is not lined up perfectly to where the M4 triangle sight was. (Gas tube needs to be cut shorter)

And finally. Stage 1: Nightfall is complete! - Stay tuned for Stage 2: Dawnbreaker

The muzzle break is a Dytac Costa Dragon that happened to appear in my order. (Thank you Jugglez! - Too kind)

Technical Difficulties
RA-Tech trigger - It was latching onto the trigger and not resetting after every shot. Turok told me it was a common problem. Will be switching out for a CWI trigger mech, but for now the stock Open bolt kit set works.

Madbull Barrel nut - There is a wobble with the rails and nut. I added O-Ring washers I got out of the plumbing department at Lowes. I put one behind the delta ring and barrel nut and seem to keep everything tight without wobble.

Hopup chamber/Inner barrel - There was a slight slight wobble with the barrel in the hopup chamber. I teflon taped the inside while I changed the hopup to a Maple Leaf.

Parts List
WE M4 CQB
WE Open Bolt M4A1 kit
WE Open bolt PMags (propane)
Madbull MK18 RIS 12.5" rails
Madbull Daniel Defense MK18 iron sights
Madbull Daniel Defense sling rail adapter
King Arms gas tube
Maple Leaf 75 degree hopup rubber
Madbull Daniel Defense low profile gas block
ACM Magpul UBR stock
Magpul MS3 sling
Magpul Angled foregrip (knockoff)
Magpul PTS MOE pistol grip
Dytac Costa Dragon Muzzle break

Any questions, concerns, and/or comments or criticism is always welcome!
Will update project as I get it ready for Nightfall

Last edited by CrAzy AziAn; June 11th, 2014 at 01:13..
CrAzy AziAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 09:41   #2
Laurel
a.k.a. mak11

Good looking. I have a WE M4 too with the DD MK18 rails. However, mine do not fit properly as the barrel nut does not go down all the way. Therefore, it does not keep the barrel tight and the rails wobble way too much. I had to put in a G&P nut & I have teflon tape on it, plus the suppressor being that it sits right against the rail, it keeps it tightish... is this a problem for you btw?

Let us know if the 12.5 rails fit perfectly.

Thanks.

Last edited by Laurel; June 5th, 2014 at 09:48..
Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 01:12   #3
Derpystronk

For those that didn't figure out that you have to actually click the gun to be taken to the album...

God damn it looks sexy.

Derpystronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 10:31   #4
Zack The Ripper

Send a message via MSN to Zack The Ripper
More of an M4 Block 2 build than a Mk18 per se, but still very nice.
Old June 11th, 2014, 01:15   #5
CrAzy AziAn

Thanks Delta for pulling the smoke early.... I guess uploading everything to Photobucket at once was a bad idea...

Laurel - I did my fix with o-rings, updated on the post! Hope it helped
CrAzy AziAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 01:50   #6
Derpystronk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzy AziAn View Post
Thanks Delta for pulling the smoke early.... I guess uploading everything to Photobucket at once was a bad idea...

Laurel - I did my fix with o-rings, updated on the post! Hope it helped
It's not my fault you made the original photograph clickable!!! D:
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Media