Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

GATE Merf 3.2 Lipo Issue

:

Doctor's Corner

Old March 23rd, 2018, 15:06   #1
Keep Firing

GATE Merf 3.2 Lipo Issue

I just recently picked up a merf 3.2 FET from a local vendor to install in my new M4 DMR build. I decided to go with the full "enhanced" install which required soldering the FET trigger wires directly to the trigger switch and routing the motor wires from the FET directly to the motor.

Before I even plugged the merf into my gun, I decided to sort out all the settings using the supplied trigger switch (battery type and voltage, 3 RD burst setup/delay, etc.). I plugged in one of my 11.1v lipos (Maple Armouries 1450mAh stick type, deans wired) that I normally use in my guns into the FET, and nothing happend.

I thought maybe it was a bad connection or something so I tried wiggling the connectors, nothing. Checked the voltage of the battery, was fully charged at 12.6V. Plug the battery into my Kriss Vector, works no problem. At this point I try plugging in the other 2 lipos I have to see if they work with it (1 identical Maple Armouries and 1 Airsoft Logic 11.1V 1200mAh stick type). The other Maple Armouries one did not work, however the Airsoft Logic 1200mAh one did and the LEDs on the merf finally lit up.

Any ideas why one type of battery would work and the others wouldn't? Do I need to do some additional programming or something to get my other 2 batteries to work? I've already set the battery type to 11.1v lipo on the merf using the one battery that did work.

EDIT: Added picture of batteries below.

Last edited by Keep Firing; March 24th, 2018 at 22:06..
Keep Firing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2018, 16:34   #2
BobbyDangerous

Sounds like some sort of conflict with the voltage setting back to the battery. The merf doesn’t recognize the battery. At least it’s working. I don’t know the batteries you’re using though. I use Turnigy directly from hobby king.

BA Level 3 Certified
BobbyDangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2018, 17:09   #3
Freeze

Can you give more details on the batteries? Like, take a picture of each, or list out Capacity, Cell, Tested Voltage, Discharge Current, etc.

TM G17 Loki Tactical Pink - TM G19 TTI Combat Master
Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2018, 22:04   #4
Keep Firing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeze View Post
Can you give more details on the batteries? Like, take a picture of each, or list out Capacity, Cell, Tested Voltage, Discharge Current, etc.
Sure, here's a pic of all my batteries together.

All are 3 cell, the 1200mAh Airsoft Logic one is 20C, the Maple Armouries ones are 30C.

Tested voltages are 12.64V for the Maple Armouries ones and 12.46V for the Airsoft Logic.

Last edited by Keep Firing; March 24th, 2018 at 22:07..
Old March 24th, 2018, 23:26   #5
Freeze

Only difference that's obvious right now is that the discharge current is different. Perhaps the Maple Armouries ones being 30C are overloading hte Merf?

Old March 24th, 2018, 23:53   #6
Keep Firing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeze View Post
Only difference that's obvious right now is that the discharge current is different. Perhaps the Maple Armouries ones being 30C are overloading hte Merf?
I suppose it's possible, but it wouldn't really make sense for it to be overloaded without even being plugged into a motor. Amps would come into play once power is actually being used from the battery to power the motor, no?
Old March 25th, 2018, 07:51   #7
BobbyDangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep Firing View Post
I suppose it's possible, but it wouldn't really make sense for it to be overloaded without even being plugged into a motor. Amps would come into play once power is actually being used from the battery to power the motor, no?

The programming of the merf not allowing that beforehand. But you did say one worked and the other didn’t. Seems like a compatibility issue. Time for better batteries

BA Level 3 Certified
Old March 25th, 2018, 20:14   #8
Keep Firing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDangerous View Post
The programming of the merf not allowing that beforehand. But you did say one worked and the other didn’t. Seems like a compatibility issue. Time for better batteries
So I went to Airsoft Depot today and went through their entire 11.1v lipo stock of batteries, not a single one turned the merf on.

I'm starting to think the thing is defective...
Old March 25th, 2018, 20:34   #9
Freeze

Sounds like its toast if none of them work lol.

Old March 27th, 2018, 15:53   #10
BobbyDangerous

Got the receipt? Pretty sure Gate has a good warranty policy.

BA Level 3 Certified

Last edited by BobbyDangerous; March 27th, 2018 at 15:57..
Old March 27th, 2018, 17:10   #11
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Sounds like the connector isn't making a connection. Try prying up the spring part of the deans connector a bit so it applies more pressure.
Check the simple things first.....physical connection.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2018, 21:53   #12
Keep Firing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDangerous View Post
Got the receipt? Pretty sure Gate has a good warranty policy.
Yup, went through the retailer for an exchange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
Sounds like the connector isn't making a connection. Try prying up the spring part of the deans connector a bit so it applies more pressure.
Check the simple things first.....physical connection.
This was the problem, however the connector was off quite a bit on the merf itself and only made connection with the one battery I had that had a very tight deans on it.

Funny enough, the one I exchanged it for had this problem as well albeit to a much smaller extent. I just added a bit of solder to the back of the prongs on the deans plug (on the merf plug) and all my batteries work perfect now.
Old March 28th, 2018, 16:17   #13
Jaeger_CDN

I can confirm Gate has a good warranty and a great to deal with. I had a Merf 3.2 that went bad and after I shot a little video proving the Mosfet was bad (swapped in a nanohard to prove the wiring wasn't bad) and they shipped me a replacement.

On a side note, the replacement took a long while (they used standard mail) I thought it was lost in the mail after a 2 month wait, emailed them and they shipped another next day... ironically the first one showed up 3 days after they sent the replacement.
Jaeger_CDN is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner