Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Is shooting your airsoft gun in your backyard legal?

:

Newbie Tank

Old August 12th, 2009, 18:03   #1
Steveo

Is shooting your airsoft gun in your backyard legal?

I plan on purchasing an airsoft gun soon, and I was wondering if it's legal to shoot it in your backyard. I live in the suburbs and there are homes all around me, I'm paranoid they'll call the police for the stupidest reason and I'll get into something. I plan on using the airsoft for shooting targets and cans, small figurines, etc. My backyard is medium sized, about the same size as 4 minivans. Thank you for your time.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 18:07   #2
Doombringer

You should consider an air rifle instead of an airsoft. Airsoft is not meant for target shooting, they are not as accurate as bb guns.
Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 18:07   #3
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

if u want to shoot targets or cans get a pellet gun, and yes shooting an airsoft gun or any kinda of realistic airgun is a bad idea, don't do it.
Old August 12th, 2009, 18:09   #4
Steveo

I've also been planning on purchasing an air rifle or an airsoft. Well, if I do go with the bb gun, is it legal to shoot in your backyard?
Old August 12th, 2009, 18:13   #5
kalnaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
I've also been planning on purchasing an air rifle or an airsoft. Well, if I do go with the bb gun, is it legal to shoot in your backyard?
Generally no. Not to mention how stupid of an idea it is to bring something that looks nearly identical to a firearm into full view of the public.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 18:14   #6
Sha Do

Well, depending on where you live you can be seriously screwed over by the local authorities. Check with your local By-Law enforcement office and ask what the By-Law regulations are for discharging an air gun.
For example, anyone with in the GTA (Toronto, Scarbarough, Etobicoke, Mississauga, Brampton, etc) will want to avoid shooting an airsoft gun in their back yard, because there is an existing By-Law stating that it is unlawful to discharge any air gun (paint ball, airsoft, BB gun, etc) with in city limits in the GTA area. So if your neighbours call in and complain, the locals police will have grounds to seize your toys, and possibly charge you with disturbing the peace. If on the other hand you are lucky enought to live in the country, you should be golden.

SHA DO
Sha Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 18:14   #7
Steveo

Ok then. So where am I able to use a bb gun legally?

Last edited by Steveo; August 12th, 2009 at 18:17..
Old August 12th, 2009, 18:25   #8
ShelledPants

Private property with no public throughput and no public view. Airsoft is also used with permission at paintball facilities.

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 18:45   #9
Steveo

Are there any ranges in the GTA area where I am able to play with bb guns? I don't plan on playing an all out game (yet), just want to shoot targets for now.
Old August 12th, 2009, 18:48   #10
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

for more information regarding airguns, checkout airgunforum.ca, for airsoft games check out the events section.
Old August 12th, 2009, 18:49   #11
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

If you think it's stupid, it probably is.

With that said, shooting ANY air gun or real gun within city limits (unless at a prescribed location) is illegal and can land you a criminal charge under the Criminal Code of Canada and the Firearms Act.
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 19:00   #12
m102404
Tys

If you are over 18yrs old...consider coming out to one of these:

CQB - Aug 31st
CQB - Sept 27th

They'll be suitable for guys who are new to airsoft. It's more geared around playing...but you'll get to see all types of stuff and be able to ask any/all questions you might have in person.

I wrote this earlier today...sorry, doesn't answer your specific question...but there might be something helpful in there as you look into airsoft.

New Players - Hints & Notes & Navigating ASC

If you're in public view...I'd highly recommend against shooting anything. All it'll take is one pissed off neighbour and the cops will be at your door. Legal or not...it's going to be headaches you don't want.

Tys
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 19:07   #13
venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha Do View Post
Well, depending on where you live you can be seriously screwed over by the local authorities. Check with your local By-Law enforcement office and ask what the By-Law regulations are for discharging an air gun.
For example, anyone with in the GTA (Toronto, Scarbarough, Etobicoke, Mississauga, Brampton, etc) will want to avoid shooting an airsoft gun in their back yard, because there is an existing By-Law stating that it is unlawful to discharge any air gun (paint ball, airsoft, BB gun, etc) with in city limits in the GTA area. So if your neighbours call in and complain, the locals police will have grounds to seize your toys, and possibly charge you with disturbing the peace. If on the other hand you are lucky enought to live in the country, you should be golden.

SHA DO
Ditto for Halifax. Same municipal law.

...However, if you have an airsoft gun and don't mind stepping on bbs, then the basement is your best bet for an urban area. Outside is where phone calls will be made to police and -worse- 911. Not good for airsoft or airguns , whichever you choose. At least in your basement you can have some privacy.

As Sha Do says, though, rural is golden for this activity.

Visit us at :www.ventureairsoft.ca
venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 19:12   #14
Steveo

Ok thanks a lot guys, you've been a lot of help
Old August 12th, 2009, 21:03   #15
L473ncy

How old are you exactly? If you're under 18 (preferably under 16) consider joining Cadets. I kind of think it's a waste of time, you'll be able to at least shoot something. Although there's asinine rules and such and you're probably better off waiting it out than wasting your time there.

If you're over 18 then consider getting AV'ed and playing.

NOTE: Although it's illegal to discharge an airgun within city limits you can usually get away with it if it's not in public view and you're shooting in a garage or basement. However be prepared to face the consequences of a by-law violation if a neighbour calls to complain ("I'm uhhh... renovating and that's my brad nailer you're hearing").
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank