Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Media
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Ghillie Thread, lots of thread, litterally ;)

:

Airsoft Media

Old November 10th, 2007, 17:47   #121
Mason
Heeere, Brucey, Brucey, Brucey

Send a message via MSN to Mason
Yeah I think im going to buy some because I want to revamp the suit a bit for next seaon.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 18:17   #122
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Sounds good Mason. Remember, Dollarama is your friend for raffia grass! Just soak it and hang it to dry before use, otherwise you'll get all kinds of funny angles out of it.

Actually I restarted working on a new ghillie myself today, had a woodland helmet cover (for a hood as opposed to a boonie) that I glued (ok Shoo Goo'd) fishing net to earlier this summer but never got farther than that. So sitting on ass in the basement with beer, decided to take what I have for leftover burlap and start shredding and tying. Am looking to make a head/shoulder jacket type lightweight ghillie, something I can roll up and carry easier than my full jacket/pants/boonie+burlap I've been using the past few years, and make it more of a fall type colouration instead of the woodland that my other ghillie is. Got a bunch tied onto the netting for the hood, need more netting to cut a very rough shortcoat out of and attach it to the hood. And more burlap and dye is required. Is ok, winter is almost here and I need stuff to do other than fix guns every weekend.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:44   #123
LyquidFyre

Haven't found the answer to this particular and specific question but has anyone figured out a quick and efficient way to unthread the burlap? Rather than picking a single thread of Jute and pulling it free from the rest of the sheet.

Also this is directed to Stalker; what are your plans for the pants/trousers portion? Saw your post in the other thread of your poncho/jacket+hood so far but leg coverings....?
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:47   #124
Dracheous
Lego Head

There ARE quick ways to do it, but pulling it one by one will get you the most thread out of the burlap. You can cut the burlap down into half inch strips, and tie it onto the netting, and then just pull the small pieces that are left woven in the half inch strip. Start at the end and just yank them off, they come out fairly easy at this length, but you loose half the thread out of your burlap.

"The hydrogen economy car from the people who brought you the 'Hindenburg'" - Glen Foster

Condoms do not guarantee safe sex any more. A friend of mine wore one and was shot by the woman's husband!
Dracheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 12:02   #125
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyquidFyre View Post
Haven't found the answer to this particular and specific question but has anyone figured out a quick and efficient way to unthread the burlap? Rather than picking a single thread of Jute and pulling it free from the rest of the sheet.

Also this is directed to Stalker; what are your plans for the pants/trousers portion? Saw your post in the other thread of your poncho/jacket+hood so far but leg coverings....?
Faster way is to grab TWO strands from the corner and pull. Unfortunately there isn't a faster way.

As for pants, I already have a full ghillie, boonie, jacket and pants, so the one I'm making now is just going to be a lightweight fast ghillie, something I can lug or keep at base, toss on and go do my thing if I need to. Had no intentions of making another full ghillie.
Old December 11th, 2007, 14:00   #126
wey ferro

cut about 2 foot squares out first, then you can pull like 5 strips at a time. plus they will already be cut to a good working size.
Old December 11th, 2007, 14:11   #127
Amos

Roughly how long should the strips on the suit be?

I've got 90% of my dyes right now.. Just waiting to find out how much I'll need to cut and dye.
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 14:12   #128
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Keep in mind there are different types of burlap. The stuff I got a few years ago when I made mine, I got from Rona and Canadian Tire, then I got some from Bouclair, and just recently Rona again. The stuff I got now is very loose, almost like a net, but the previous stuff was a tight weave, meaning only one thread at a time. Even with the loose stuff I can only pull off four tops if there isn't too much resistance from tight weaves.
Old December 11th, 2007, 16:58   #129
whoreable

dont be a whimp, tear that stuff strand by strand, thats how i did it.
whoreable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 18:25   #130
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

I got my burlap at Réno Dépot. It's the kind one's would use to protect trees for winter.

I just cut them in squares of about 30cm. I then rip the strands 2 by 2. It's hard on the fingers and it make a mess. Keep an industrial shop-vac near you. A regular vacuum cleaner will clog easely on that jute fibers.

Once my strands are all separated, I spray paint them because I'm lazy. But it work well in the end.

I just tie them using double knots on my ghillie netting and voila. It's a long processe, but it's worth it.

Once the ghillie is completed, I just soak it in water and drag it in dust and mud. The burlap must be all curly and messy looking. Otherwise, it won't break up your shape that well if all the strands are wooky like straight.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 01:10   #131
tony123

Just a quick question. Is there different thicknesses of the jute used in burlap? I started unraveling mine and from the pics ive seen on the net. myne is starting to look really fine.

Is this going to work or do i start looking for some other stuff?

\

Thanks!

Last edited by tony123; March 12th, 2008 at 14:13..
tony123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 02:43   #132
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

I used one that is made to wrap three for winter. It's brown or tan in color. Not white like yours. (it also match dead grass color and can be used as-is in the ghillie).

But yes, it's fine and hard to pull appart. I got soars on my fingers after a while.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 13:40   #133
SEALs

Send a message via ICQ to SEALs Send a message via AIM to SEALs Send a message via MSN to SEALs Send a message via Yahoo to SEALs
Little trick that I used, try 2 combs like these.

The second and 3rd from the left.

Father of fear, reckless and widowmaker
SEALs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 14:16   #134
tony123

Thanks for the reasurince fox. I have plans on dyeing it anyways so the white dosent bother me. It was also much cheaper than the treee wrap.

Thanks for the sugestion seal. ive been using a fine metal tooth animal comb to get all the just fiber untangeld from the rest of the jute.
tony123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 15:32   #135
JTF27

Send a message via MSN to JTF27
Has anyone ever tried making a full ghillie suit for jsut the back and partial sides? So that when you laydown you are covered but when you stand up your front is exposed.
Is it parctical?
JTF27 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Media