Airsoft Canada

Airsoft Canada (https://airsoftcanada.com/forums.php)
-   Gear Discussion (https://airsoftcanada.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   People who want CF kit (non-surplus) (https://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=102955)

Kokanee April 24th, 2010 22:15

People who want CF kit (non-surplus)

I just wanted to take a moment to address an issue I've seen cropping up more and more here on the buy&sell.

There are users here asking for or selling non-surplussed gear such as TacVests, small packs, cadpat leather gloves, cadpat raingear etc. I'm currently serving in a front-line unit, and we are experiencing extreme shortages of equipment. Regarding the above mentioned tacvest, we don't even have enough on base to ensure that soldiers posted into the unit each get one, we're down to sharing and cannibalizing from those who are in staff/HQ positions, long term medical restriction etc.

Persons who actively seek to acquire these kit items are fueling the market for black market goods, pieces of kit going walking from supply depots is an issue right now, and publically demonstrating an interest does not help the matter.

I urge any player here who counts themselves as patriotic and pro forces to not engage in the purchase or trade in non-surplussed CF issue kit. There are many alternative sources for similar items available; and for example the TV is a piece of crap, why would you want one?

Anyway, thanks for reading, cheers.

FOX_111 April 24th, 2010 22:20

I'm suprised that such basic tools of warfighting are in short supply for deployed troops. I agree with your motion of not supporting the sale and trade of these items. People who want to do an impression of the CF could try to focus on those lucky troops that get to use better gear than what is normally issued.

Conker April 24th, 2010 22:38

Should be stickied.

Huron April 24th, 2010 22:49

+1. I think this is the one time that it's okay to pretend you're a 1337 operator who gets to use his own gear over his Cadpat.

Barf April 24th, 2010 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by FOX_111 (Post 1219292)
I'm suprised that such basic tools of warfighting are in short supply for deployed troops.

Not to get political, but thank the Liberals for that. During the Gulf war, they had to strip mannequins in the museums to get uniforms for the troops.

This should definitely be stickied, so people can be made aware of the problem. Don't steal from the troops.

Drake April 25th, 2010 05:37

Stickied (thereby dooming the thread to go ignored by most :P )

Weren't troops allowed to get their own vests now?

And what ever happened with Integrated Soldier System, weren't they looking at the TT 2-piece MAV, amongst others, last fall?

ex April 25th, 2010 05:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake (Post 1219461)
Stickied (thereby dooming the thread to go ignored by most :P )

Weren't troops allowed to get their own vests now?

And what ever happened with Integrated Soldier System, weren't they looking at the TT 2-piece MAV, amongst others, last fall?

Yes most units allow personal purchase rigs for Overseas deployment, but not for garrison or field duty here in county.

Yes they are looking at a new Vest but as with all other procurement processes in Canada it will take longer than it actually should to the detriment of Soldiers themselves.

H1TMAN April 25th, 2010 08:07

Any CF procurement project usually takes around 10 years from start to finish and I am not joking. Afghanistan has helped to acelerate this process due to immediate operational requirements to meet a threat or a specific need. You must all understand that with the size of our military we dont have factories continually making new gear for us. We pass a larger order and when the inventory gets low we place another order. However it can take years sometimes to recieve that order and you also have budget cuts to reduce the speed of the process also. They system isn't perfect but it works in the long run.

Just as an example the project cloth the soldier started around 1998 and in 2010 it is not yet completed. Another example, last week I saw in the classifieds a pair of Cadpat boots for sale. Distribution of these new boots have just start this year for troops deploying in Afghanistan and they are already up for sale.

Infidel April 25th, 2010 08:29

The CADPAT boots are not entering General Issue according the CLS. Instead they are going to get a brown boot. I dont know why. Also the Desert boots that were issued for Roto 9, the boot company lost the contract and some people are unable to get issued desert boots, and those that got issued the desert boots are not impressed with the fact that they do not breath.

Also I agree with the OP 100% mainly because if you want to make an impression of teh CF while deployed overseas on a combat tour, buy your own rig like most members. The Tacvest is not even that great a vest and when I see Repo ones that people have purchased I ask them why.

Regards,

~Grimm

Cico April 25th, 2010 08:46

Its has gotten to the point with our unit that guys go and either a. buy army "surplus" vests which can cost almost as much as a good rig or more. or b. they wear the patter 82 webbing(with auth from the CO).

CDN_Stalker April 25th, 2010 09:13

Good threead Kokanee, I've wondered about this for a while (again after seeing those CADPAT boots on sale last week). Butt ugly, yes, but still.......

Kokanee April 25th, 2010 09:16

Thanks for the positive feedback from the post, it's appreciated. Let's just kep in mind that some of us are familiar with the system, and some are not, like below;

Quote:

Originally Posted by H1TMAN (Post 1219478)
You must all understand that with the size of our military we dont have factories continually making new gear for us. We pass a larger order and when the inventory gets low we place another order. However it can take years sometimes to recieve that order...

Actually contracts are usually continuous, with deliveries happening over a span of time. It would make no sense to put out a contract, get stuff made then send everyone home, only to hire them back a year later to pump out more items. Delays are a result of the lack of capacity in the Canadian textiles industry, not that people are sitting around doing nothing.

Quote:

...Just as an example the project cloth the soldier started around 1998 and in 2010 it is not yet completed....

CTS while originally mandated to procure a limited number of goods, eventually became a permanent fixture of the CF procurement system, like Natick Soldier Systems for the US Army. So to use CTS as an example of a project taking forever is disingenuous, and displays your complete lack of understanding regarding CTS and the procurement process. CTS is now charged with developing, researching and fielding new gear for the soldier on a continual basis.

Quote:

...Another example, last week I saw in the classifieds a pair of Cadpat boots for sale. Distribution of these new boots have just start this year for troops deploying in Afghanistan and they are already up for sale.

No, stop. The CADPAT boots you are seeing are samples done up for the "Temperate Combat Boot" project, which has been about 9 years in the running so far. Along with problems with the CADPAT pattern wearing off (see our new leather gloves for an example), RSM's etc provided too much resistance to their fielding, and the pattern was dropped from the boots. CADPAT boots are test samples, and thus surplus if you find them, and completely legal, fill your boots! (no pun intended). The CADPAT boot idea was recently trotted out as a control sample to test how well the latest version of the temperate boot (in brown) does.

The project has taken so long in fact, that a whole other boot was rushed into production as an "interim boot", the Mark 4. It's a wet weather boot sans the insulation, and is meant to address the fact that we are out of Mark 3's, with no replacement.

Anyway, enough from me. So let's all do our part to stop the spread of bullshit when it comes to CF gear; if you don't have a clue, walk away from the keyboard.

AngelusNex April 25th, 2010 11:22

I sigh and shake my head everytime i see a cf issue vest on sale (especially in the local army surplus)

Didn't realize it was THAT bad though.... CF should stop giving every reservist a vest and start only giving them to the guys who need them, that'll free up allot for everybody else.

kylem_8 April 25th, 2010 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelusNex (Post 1219531)
I sigh and shake my head everytime i see a cf issue vest on sale (especially in the local army surplus)

Didn't realize it was THAT bad though.... CF should stop giving every reservist a vest and start only giving them to the guys who need them, that'll free up allot for everybody else.

Ill equiping our reservists is NOT a good way to solve this issue. Reservists are out there doing just as good of a job as the regular force, so by targeting the reserves is just arrogence on your part. They need the equipment just as much as the next guy. There are many regular force members that you could say "don't need a TAC VEST".

With Operations including more and more reservists would you really want them to join you in an Operation without their full issued kit and properly know how to use it and have trained with it? I know I wouldn't.

Our reserve force needs the same equipment as the regular force to be an effective member of the CF. Although it usually tends never to happen that way we should not purposly take kit away from serving members of the CF, just because they dont do it full time.

So, by you saying "CF should stop giving every reservist a vest and start only giving them to the guys who need them" is a mute statement because we are all one army and we all need the same kit.

Anyways, thanks to the OP for bringing this up. I'm tired of seeing CF issued kit at games as well as being posted on ASC for sale. RETURN YOUR ISSUED KIT GUYS!

AngelusNex April 25th, 2010 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylem_8 (Post 1219540)
Ill equiping our reservists is NOT a good way to solve this issue. Reservists are out there doing just as good of a job as the regular force, so by targeting the reserves is just arrogence on your part. They need the equipment just as much as the next guy. There are many regular force members that you could say "don't need a TAC VEST".

With Operations including more and more reservists would you really want them to join you in an Operation without their full issued kit and properly know how to use it and have trained with it? I know I wouldn't.

Our reserve force needs the same equipment as the regular force to be an effective member of the CF. Although it usually tends never to happen that way we should not purposly take kit away from serving members of the CF, just because they dont do it full time.

So, by you saying "CF should stop giving every reservist a vest and start only giving them to the guys who need them" is a mute statement because we are all one army and we all need the same kit.

Anyways, thanks to the OP for bringing this up. I'm tired of seeing CF issued kit at games as well as being posted on ASC for sale. RETURN YOUR ISSUED KIT GUYS!

I was in the reserves.... I know guys who have been for years and they ALL PERMANENTLY get a Tac vest, where reg force only get them (for the most part) when being deployed, I'm just saying do the same with reserves and there will be much more vest to go around for those being deployed.

Lerch April 25th, 2010 12:35

RegF only gets tacvests when being deployed?

...eh? I dunno, personally I haven't seen any 'problems' with supply of kit with the exception of the CADPAT raingear. Everyone here in Shilo (and Gagetown for that matter) is able to get issued the equipment they need without having to be put on a waiting list. I've had most of my FFO since I finished Basic two years back for Christ's sake.

Just in case anybody doesn't know, any kit that is issued through a base supply, which is independent from a unit, is kept by the member until he/she releases from the military. Anything issued from a unit supply (quartermaster) is kept by the member until the leave that unit.
Base supply carries generic kit that everyone will be making use of, everything from combats to rucksacks to barrack boxes. Unit supplies will carry more job specific kit like ear defenders and BFA's.

Gato April 25th, 2010 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cico (Post 1219488)
Its has gotten to the point with our unit that guys go and either a. buy army "surplus" vests which can cost almost as much as a good rig or more. or b. they wear the patter 82 webbing(with auth from the CO).

That's just straight up bullshit that they have to buy a vest, especially at the price of a good rig, that shitty vest we get issued is only worth around $163 if I remember right.

But the original point, I fully agree wth, people, you don't need current issue CF gear, sure you mght LIKE to own it but there are people who NEED it, and I don't know bout others here but I know of units who're desperatly short on kit like the TV, I've heard of one unit who they took the TVs away from because an Infantry unit in the area did't have enough, but that's out ass end of somewhere or other.

Loathing April 25th, 2010 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gato (Post 1219608)
That's just straight up bullshit that they have to buy a vest, especially at the price of a good rig, that shitty vest we get issued is only worth around $163 if I remember right.

But the original point, I fully agree wth, people, you don't need current issue CF gear, sure you mght LIKE to own it but there are people who NEED it, and I don't know bout others here but I know of units who're desperatly short on kit like the TV, I've heard of one unit who they took the TVs away from because an Infantry unit in the area did't have enough, but that's out ass end of somewhere or other.

Here in Kingston they will only issue you a TV if you are at an operational unit or deploying. A good friend of mine, who had one issued to him a whiles back - got it taken away from him because he didn't fit into those two categories at the time even though he was posted to a field unit (wasn't on a deploying roto at the time).

Now, oh shit, he needs one and they have to scramble to get one ordered for him through the unit.

The new army rain gear is a bitch once its own. The only reason I got mine was because I knew a Sgt, who knew a Sgt, who put my name down on a list somewhere and six months later I received an email saying to come pick up new rain gear.

AngelusNex April 25th, 2010 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loathing (Post 1219626)
Here in Kingston they will only issue you a TV if you are at an operational unit or deploying. A good friend of mine, who had one issued to him a whiles back - got it taken away from him because he didn't fit into those two categories at the time even though he was posted to a field unit (wasn't on a deploying roto at the time).

Now, oh shit, he needs one and they have to scramble to get one ordered for him through the unit.

The new army rain gear is a bitch once its own. The only reason I got mine was because I knew a Sgt, who knew a Sgt, who put my name down on a list somewhere and six months later I received an email saying to come pick up new rain gear.

May only be kingston then, Cause when i was a reservist (little over 2 years ago) we all had vests permanently, even though only a very few guys from our regiment were actually doing anything at any given time.

Gato April 25th, 2010 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelusNex (Post 1219633)
May only be kingston then, Cause when i was a reservist (little over 2 years ago) we all had vests permanently, even though only a very few guys from our regiment were actually doing anything at any given time.

EVERYONE in our unit has them, even guys with nothing but BMQ and some who don't even have that yet.

AngelusNex April 25th, 2010 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gato (Post 1219731)
EVERYONE in our unit has them, even guys with nothing but BMQ and some who don't even have that yet.

Are you agreeing with me (your reservist) or saying this whole thread is wrong (your reg force)

Gato April 25th, 2010 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelusNex (Post 1219740)
Are you agreeing with me (your reservist) or saying this whole thread is wrong (your reg force)

I'm reservist, reg force or not though, if people don't have the kit they'll be using if the ever do go operational, how are they expected to become accustomed to it?

AngelusNex April 25th, 2010 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gato (Post 1219742)
I'm reservist, reg force or not though, if people don't have the kit they'll be using if the ever do go operational, how are they expected to become accustomed to it?

which is the problem with most reg force guys.

Infidel April 25th, 2010 20:58

Depending on the base you are at and the unit you are posted to will depend on if you get field gear. Air Force and Navy pers attached to a Field unit will get FFO. Army guys posted to a none field unit probably will just have the basics.

Also some bases, such as the smaller ones like Kingston have a much smaller stock and sometimes they dont have enough to issue to people who need them. I know some people who wernt issued winter KIT till mid February last year.

Even if you are deploying it can still be like pulling teeth to get the KIT you need, depending on the base you are on at the time.

~Grimm

mopic April 25th, 2010 21:22

While I understand your frustraion Kokanee, Your frustration should be levelled at your fellow colleages and supply techs who are stealing property. I think it is beyond the scope of anyone buying equipment to know if the stuff they are buying is stolenor legally sourced.

pugs144 April 25th, 2010 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by mopic (Post 1219872)
I think it is beyond the scope of anyone buying equipment to know if the stuff they are buying is stolen or legally sourced.

The type of kit Kokanee moentioned could not be not "legally sourced."

Thenooblord April 25th, 2010 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugs144 (Post 1219879)
The type of kit Kokanee moentioned could not be not "legally sourced."

alot of people wouldnt know, I wouldnt have had any Idea if I hadn't just read this thread

pugs144 April 25th, 2010 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thenooblord (Post 1219882)
alot of people wouldnt know, I wouldnt have had any Idea if I hadn't just read this thread

Hence the reason why this thread is stickied. Ya feel me?

Infidel April 25th, 2010 21:48

Did anyone know that they shred and burn CADPAT uniforms?

~Thanato

pugs144 April 25th, 2010 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimm Reaper (Post 1219895)

~Thanato

Yup, they cut up a pair of unserviceable pants I exchanged in front of me one time.

Loathing April 25th, 2010 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimm Reaper (Post 1219895)

~Thanato

Yup.

I've done it before.

It's a pain in the ass.

Scalpel April 28th, 2010 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loathing (Post 1219901)
Yup.

I've done it before.

It's a pain in the ass.

You're supposed to take the pants off first. :rolleyes:

+1 to the OP
Reservists seem to get all the newest gear, pre-bmq
Small pack system, MK4, TVs, Cadpat gloves. Maybe it is completely dependant on the unit you're in

Gato April 28th, 2010 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scalpel (Post 1222057)
You're supposed to take the pants off first. :rolleyes:

+1 to the OP
Reservists seem to get all the newest gear, pre-bmq
Small pack system, MK4, TVs, Cadpat gloves. Maybe it is completely dependant on the unit you're in

Mk4s SUCK ass, the tacvest is ok but I prefered the webbing for the short time I had it, cadpat gloves are good stuff, small pack....... I never really use it

submarineman April 28th, 2010 15:48

Now for this one. I am in the Navy working at the hospital and i am going as a Range Officer(mentor, whatever you want to call it). Now I have Naval Combats and It almost took an act of god to get some Cadpat gear. I went to my local army surplus store and found the brand new CF issue rain jacket. It's too small for me and I even went to supply to try and exchage it and of course they did not have any. Fuck they did not even have Master Corporal Logistics slip ons. I had to get them at the surplus store.
So here I am stuck with this hard to find cadpat rain jacket thats too small.

Anyway long story short supply never has anything in and I can find most things at the army surplus store.

SnipersVenom April 28th, 2010 16:25

dont you wish you had a dollar every time you heard "sorry your a common size and we dont have any in stock" ha ha

Gato April 28th, 2010 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnipersVenom (Post 1222212)
dont you wish you had a dollar every time you heard "sorry your a common size and we dont have any in stock" ha ha

How about a dollar for every time I hear "That's onl;y for reg force" then hear regforce bitching only reservists have it :P

kylem_8 April 29th, 2010 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gato (Post 1222299)
How about a dollar for every time I hear "That's onl;y for reg force" then hear regforce bitching only reservists have it :P

yes +1 to that. Everyone complains reservists get all the good shit... ya right... Hey Reg Force... hows your new MSVS's.... happy to get rid of the MLVW... i wish i could :| how about the CADPAT rain gear, or new rucksacs... i'm sure im missing a whole bunch of kit that the Reg Force gets that reservists dont... let me know if im missing anything....

So, ya. Reservists aren't stealing all of the good kit... supply is just saying that....

dutchydoc April 29th, 2010 11:48

Thats because supply has you all fooled, they are telling you all lies and selling shit as "Surplus" on the net.

Danke April 29th, 2010 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by dutchydoc (Post 1222884)
Thats because supply has you all fooled, they are telling you all lies and selling shit as "Surplus" on the net.

No, it's just if you give you their last one they'll have to order more!

Jbone 11 11 May 9th, 2010 14:12

Those of you in active units might want to have a look at this shit... almost fell off my chair when I saw this... its gotta be a con or completely illegal!

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Genuine-Cad...#ht_500wt_1182

Loathing May 9th, 2010 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbone 11 11 (Post 1229900)
Those of you in active units might want to have a look at this shit... almost fell off my chair when I saw this... its gotta be a con or completely illegal!

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Genuine-Cad...#ht_500wt_1182

It is illegal to sell currently Issued gear online/where ever - that doesn't mean people don't do it...or else I guess we wouldn't be having this discussion now would we?

And $2500? Who the fuck would pay that much for a TV/FV/Helm/SP and fucking elbow pads? Actually I don't think the frag vest is included in that sale, doesn't have it listed in the description (unless I'm blind) but it is in the picture.

The smallpack, or daypack is sort of a joke really. I love the damn thing when I had to take books/learning material with me to courses, but I found it useless when I went into the field so I really don't know what the big deal is.

Bowers May 9th, 2010 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loathing (Post 1229928)
It is illegal to sell currently Issued gear online/where ever - that doesn't mean people don't do it...or else I guess we wouldn't be having this discussion now would we?

And $2500? Who the fuck would pay that much for a TV/FV/Helm/SP and fucking elbow pads? Actually I don't think the frag vest is included in that sale, doesn't have it listed in the description (unless I'm blind) but it is in the picture.

The smallpack, or daypack is sort of a joke really. I love the damn thing when I had to take books/learning material with me to courses, but I found it useless when I went into the field so I really don't know what the big deal is.

maybe what the seller calls the "inner tac vest" could be referring to the frag vest?
Quote:

inner (size Large) and outer TAC Vest (size Large)

ptescrewby May 9th, 2010 21:29

no matter what army you are in there are always kit shortages or garbage kit.....look at the CEF in the first world war with our boots that melted in mud and our ross rifles...we stole boots off of dead guys and stole enfields off of dead british guys....anyways the tv is only good for domestic ops....i have heard from the guys that went on tour that the new ruck suck but you can cram a lot of stuff in there...i have a cp gear jump ruck simply because i couldnt exchange my broken 82 ruck....i also have been waiting a long time for boots that fit since i am a generic size 9 i got size 11s because there were no size 9s left.....

Gato May 10th, 2010 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylem_8 (Post 1222878)
yes +1 to that. Everyone complains reservists get all the good shit... ya right... Hey Reg Force... hows your new MSVS's.... happy to get rid of the MLVW... i wish i could :| how about the CADPAT rain gear, or new rucksacs... i'm sure im missing a whole bunch of kit that the Reg Force gets that reservists dont... let me know if im missing anything....

So, ya. Reservists aren't stealing all of the good kit... supply is just saying that....

I have cadpat raingear ...... just ask for it

SnipersVenom May 10th, 2010 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gato (Post 1230600)
I have cadpat raingear ...... just ask for it

i did they told me no ha ha ha

Blackthorne May 10th, 2010 11:36

LOL..I feel bad now...

I have every single piece of kit I am supposed to have as an Infantryman. Right down to the gas mask.

Our regiment has already been sized for the new ruck and we are getting them before the summer training cycle at Meaford. That seems to be a double edged sword however as they are apparently 15 lbs empty and HUGE.

Allot of our guys are deployed and have deployed over the last few ROTO's.

With IBTA, PWT 1, 2, 3 and 4 as well as regular BFT's, I don't see how an infantry trade could even stay current on BASIC skills without a tacvest, regardless of how much they suck.

Roguer May 10th, 2010 12:07

Hey Kylem_8, i wouldnt really complain about who has the MSVS right now, the whole fleet is grounded, no one can use them. And i love the ML, you get your hands on a good working one, and do proper maint on it, it will take care of you.

As for the new ruck's, so far only reserve combat units get them right now. And the new rucks, they are huge, but if fitted properly, you can haul alot of gear in them and barely feel it.

BUT, i hate usin them on BFT's, the waist strap kinda sucks. Its great for arty guys (we have trucks to carry them :D), but ive seen alot of infantry guys stick with jump rucks over the new ones.

kylem_8 May 10th, 2010 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roguer (Post 1230644)
Hey Kylem_8, i wouldnt really complain about who has the MSVS right now, the whole fleet is grounded, no one can use them. And i love the ML, you get your hands on a good working one, and do proper maint on it, it will take care of you.

As for the new ruck's, so far only reserve combat units get them right now. And the new rucks, they are huge, but if fitted properly, you can haul alot of gear in them and barely feel it.

BUT, i hate usin them on BFT's, the waist strap kinda sucks. Its great for arty guys (we have trucks to carry them :D), but ive seen alot of infantry guys stick with jump rucks over the new ones.

Ya i actually just heard that the new MSVS catches fire or something because of its breaks.... not sure if that entirely true of not.

I agree that the MLVW would be a good vehicle IF I could actually drive one that IS in good working order haha. Hopefully some of the vehicles im driving this summer in meaford are fixed or else the battle school is rucking it the entire time lol. But off-roading in the ML is awsome... that thing can go anywhere.

Roguer May 10th, 2010 12:38

its due to a wiring problem is what ive been hearing. Nice big ol comfy truck by the looks of it, but yea, gotta wait for that to be sorted out before i can get qualified on it. and if you want a ML in good working order, be prepared to do alot of the work yourself.

kylem_8 May 10th, 2010 12:48

ya... screw that ahah... i'll let Meaford Transport do the work for me. Last time I was up there they were actually VERY helpful

Roguer May 10th, 2010 12:51

oh they can be. but a good driver always does maint on their vehicle, moreso than that they are supposed to be. because transport wont always be there in the field to help you.

kylem_8 May 10th, 2010 12:56

agreed

H1TMAN May 10th, 2010 14:25

Kokanee,

If the CADPAT boot is only a trial please explain why the entire 1 R22R Battle Group (TF 3-10) in Valcartier had them issued, because that quite a large fielding test for the CF.

Crunchmeister May 10th, 2010 14:38

Interesting enough, I was in at our local surplus store on Friday to get some new boots, and they have a nice stack of about 10 pairs of brand new, unissued CADPAT AR pants on the shelf, as well as some almost new condition matching shirts. Seems like they have a nice inside source for product.

SnipersVenom May 10th, 2010 15:38

yeah Blackthorne my unit got sized for the new rucks to but then its bin this that and the next thing as to why we havnt gotten them yet, and honestly im not lookin forward to it either lol considering the bad reviews ive heard about it. and for the new AR cadpat stuff it doesnt surprise me one bit you finding it Crunch most places find some way to get their hands on new shit off the back of the truck so to speak.

ptescrewby May 10th, 2010 20:26

yeah we finally got new raingear too about 5 months after they told us we were getting it.....i knew guys on DP1A infantry that still had 82 pt web gear and had to fight to get the tv from the meaford rq

Roguer May 11th, 2010 19:07

ive seen a couple of people put the waist band around the tacvest, and its worked just fine.

NovaKaynE May 13th, 2010 13:37

Not sure about anyone else, but for me, in order to get the CADPAT raingear, you need to be at least SQ qualified or have a year of service under your belt.

Supply is awesome. I think "piss soldiers off" is part of their work instruction. This IS the military. We will one day have to destroy something for real. Why keep us happy and supplied when they can keep us angry and more prone to fawking shit up.

On a good note, I actually got a small pack finally.

Danke May 13th, 2010 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaKaynE (Post 1233544)
Not sure about anyone else, but for me, in order to get the CADPAT raingear, you need to be at least SQ qualified or have a year of service under your belt.

Supply is awesome. I think "piss soldiers off" is part of their work instruction. This IS the military. We will one day have to destroy something for real. Why keep us happy and supplied when they can keep us angry and more prone to fawking shit up.

On a good note, I actually got a small pack finally.

Hey let's say that clerk actually gave you the last one of anything and then RSM came in right after you and wanted one also, how would that clerk feel?

pugs144 May 13th, 2010 14:06

The Small Pack is pretty much only good for carrying books and holding your pens when you’re on course. It’s like they took a Kifaru Zulu, shrunk it, and made it suck. Assault/day packs should at least be half-clamshell openings so you can get at stuff when you need it RIGHT NOW.

RAID or Kiffy Marauder FTW.

NovaKaynE May 13th, 2010 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Skeletor- (Post 1233551)
Get yourself a real patrol pack; also a real ruck as the new ruck sucks IMO. Theres a reason why lots of us are still rockin the 64 Pat Jump Ruck.

Yeah, i'm rockin' the old ruck still. I'm content with it. Does the trick. The only problem is getting jacked up for having any non issued kit.

Lerch May 13th, 2010 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roguer (Post 1230644)

I actually found it quite nice on my last BFT, got the order that only the new ruck was allowed so I pulled off everything from my jump ruck and stuck it straight into the new one.

And now that I'm back in Shilo, the stack nicely in the back of our tractors :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roguer (Post 1231815)
ive seen a couple of people put the waist band around the tacvest, and its worked just fine.

What I've been doing was loosening the bottom adjustment strap on the back and letting the bottom of my TV sit over the waist belt.

Oh and Mike, you're a lucky fucker, next door here we've been told only the new rucks are to be used. The RSM has a thing for shiny kit apparently...

Loathing May 13th, 2010 17:25

Where I'm at they thankfully don't really care what you use, as long as you can do the damn BFT and work up for it. None of us have the new rucks yet, were still using the normal issued ones. A couple people have the jump rucks, I'd love to get my hands on one of them!

mr_nuts31 May 13th, 2010 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaKaynE (Post 1233544)

Wait what? That's the requirement? I got mine as soon as my unit said it was available for the unit. Then again, I'm in Petawawa, so we get a lot of things first, like the new MLVW and probably the new tac vest, whatever it may be. I've met reservists who come here for a tasking come back with all this new kit that will make the others jealous, so chances are to all those who are missing kit might have to resort to grabbing some from other bases

Jbone 11 11 May 14th, 2010 03:35

Is it just me or is there recurring theme here? LOL!
There are CF regs and then there is how it actually works. Same as anywhere.

Roguer May 14th, 2010 11:36

and then there at the guys workin in supply who can be dicks about issueing kit and such. But thats how things are, not much we can do about that

Jbone 11 11 May 14th, 2010 12:40

Amen.

Infidel May 15th, 2010 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Skeletor- (Post 1233551)
Get yourself a real patrol pack; also a real ruck as the new ruck sucks IMO. Theres a reason why lots of us are still rockin the 64 Pat Jump Ruck.

What are you talking about... the new Ruck is Great........ for a glorified duffel bag.... Ya I went out and got a 64 jump ruck because its a shit ton more comfortable then the new one, and its smaller, lighter, and well more useful.

Got a Rush 72 Hour bag for my tour... I havnt used it in the field but I can pack it alot better and mroe organized then the Smallpack, and its about the same size.

~Thanato

Roguer May 15th, 2010 12:40

the only reason i like the new ruck is i can pack it full of stuff for extended ops, that and the arty has trucks that we put all of our kit onto. That and the staves that are formed to our backs, well that goes to shit when you have a flak vest on with plates.

Infidel May 15th, 2010 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roguer (Post 1235281)
the only reason i like the new ruck is i can pack it full of stuff for extended ops, that and the arty has trucks that we put all of our kit onto. That and the staves that are formed to our backs, well that goes to shit when you have a flak vest on with plates.

If you need to fill that thing when you are going on exercise you are over packing. And if you are in the field that long you will more then likely be able to have a duffel full of kit that stays in a staging area.

I have learned to pack light and im a signaler lol I guess that extra few pounds of radio really add up lol

~Thanato

Roguer May 16th, 2010 03:14

ive only packed that much when i was on a op overseas and needed to pack extra gear.

IronYuppy January 27th, 2011 23:47

Just reading this whole thread for the entertainment value. I'm a Reservist, and I have some stuff that seems to be made of unobtanium for my reg-force pals, and some stuff that is commonplace, I don't have.

Examples: I have the rare as hen's teeth CADPAD waterproof bivvy bag, CADPAT gloves, fleece, and a TAC-vest, and - for no apparent reason - a white balaclava. But I also have old (type II) combat boots (which I got new in a box covered in dust), type 82 webbing (with completely useless 7.62 mag pouches) AND a type 82 gas-mask bag, and I wasn't issued basic stuff like socks, a bush hat, mortar gloves, suspenders for my cold weather pants, a scarf, a gas mask FILTER, or a ground-sheet.

One guy I know was issued every possible piece of kit you can imagine, EXCEPT a green beret. :rolleyes: It's just crazy.

What would I like but can't seem to find? A small pack and a light GoreTex jacket. Good luck!

Zep January 28th, 2011 08:57

everyone has a small pack. i think.. i love mine, but never use it when im not working, dont want people knowing im military.

Off_kilter January 28th, 2011 09:00

everyone has a small pack?! wish clothing stores wouldn't be so miserly hell I can't even get a gerber(they're all broken apparently)

Zep January 28th, 2011 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infidel (Post 1219486)
The CADPAT boots are not entering General Issue according the CLS. Instead they are going to get a brown boot. I dont know why. Also the Desert boots that were issued for Roto 9, the boot company lost the contract and some people are unable to get issued desert boots, and those that got issued the desert boots are not impressed with the fact that they do not breath.

Also I agree with the OP 100% mainly because if you want to make an impression of teh CF while deployed overseas on a combat tour, buy your own rig like most members. The Tacvest is not even that great a vest and when I see Repo ones that people have purchased I ask them why.

Regards,

~Grimm

yeah those boots are pretty comfy, i have a pair, but i use my own HAIX now, i also thought they would come out with the brown boots and i asked a friend in supply, they said no dice, not for a few years at least. My opinion, it would look sick with brown boots and greens, but not tactical at all. Im pretty sure now that the trial is over for the cadpat boots they will come out with them by the end of next year for all troops. This is what i've heard.

and its so true most our gear sucks, no idea why people want it when they play soldier, for one it's illegal, I had my own setup overseas, and trust me it wasn't a 4 mag vest.

Zep January 28th, 2011 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off_kilter (Post 1397430)
everyone has a small pack?! wish clothing stores wouldn't be so miserly hell I can't even get a gerber(they're all broken apparently)

oh man when i was in Edmonton i couldn't get even underwear. now, i can get anything. I know all the small packs are for the deployed guys. but for some reason the reservists tend to have all the damn gear. whats up with that.

Loathing January 28th, 2011 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zep (Post 1397436)
and its so true most our gear sucks, no idea why people want it when they play soldier, for one it's illegal, I had my own setup overseas, and trust me it wasn't a 4 mag vest.

Probably because it's what most people see when they see the CF in the media, so they want to go for the 'authentic' CF look.

So far in Kingston gas masks/filters/tac vests/small packs/new rucks are all deployment only items now. Also the QM's new motto now is "We have the Kit, but not the Manpower to issue it." so trying to get anything from them is like pulling teeth.

Loathing January 28th, 2011 12:26

Oh, I think the small pack is awesome.

For carrying study material for course, or my lunch to work.

I'll be picking up an Eberlestock at some point to use instead, once I actually need something along those lines for longer ex's.

And I've been up north, got issued the OD parka/snowpants so even then if they have the older stuff lying around you'll get that first. Didn't really matter though, I just wore the ice jacket and windpants and it was fine for the cold.

abbadon January 28th, 2011 14:07

Only good thing about the small pack is that you can snug a radio in it. Thus not having to worry about taking in the back of the head when you take one of a million spills during a night nav through the freaking swamps on the maddawa.

Infidel January 29th, 2011 18:33

I didn't even bother bringing my smallPack overseas with me. Picked up a 5.11 rush 72 so many pockets for organizing. You van modify the inside to carry a radio. It's an awesome bag fits everything I needed in it and then some.

Zep January 29th, 2011 18:56

Ive never had an issue with it, just water.. other than that it has been fine.. I don't spend my money on kit that i really don't need.I have 3 really good packs at home, no need to ruin mine if i get a free small pack if this one breaks. but i do agree most gear sucks balls. and it really does suck to have to spend your own money to make life abit easier.

Infidel January 30th, 2011 04:05

Well it's a matter of comfort. To me that's more important them free.

Latvian291 January 30th, 2011 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loathing (Post 1397468)
Probably because it's what most people see when they see the CF in the media, so they want to go for the 'authentic' CF look.

So far in Kingston gas masks/filters/tac vests/small packs/new rucks are all deployment only items now. Also the QM's new motto now is "We have the Kit, but not the Manpower to issue it." so trying to get anything from them is like pulling teeth.

+1 I had to inform them my kit was to be issued by order of the commandant before they would even look at me... and then they gave me webbing...webbing? Where's my C1 to go with it?

S.N.A.F.U February 9th, 2012 16:22

+1 fuck Kingstons base clothing stores. I got all I needed because most people aren't a 7644 but plenty of regular sized guys get fucked every Monday through Friday. They've got the shit... They march you past a hallway if tv's and small packs straight to the webbing rack.

panzergrenadier February 9th, 2012 16:24

That's how all clothing stores work... The fuckers that work there think the kit is theirs...
They get a kick out of fucking you everytime!

angrypanda83 August 15th, 2012 11:36

I'm Air Force... All I need is my 5 star hotel, and cheap beer...

A lot of my buddies that did go over seas ended buying their own gear... The crap they issue is just that... crap... Not enough magazine pouches, so you'd run dry mid fire fight... Not exactly what you want.
Perfect for airsofting though... But selling Crown property is not only illegal but extremely disloyal to the country.

Gato August 15th, 2012 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Skeletor- (Post 1603119)
Well to be fair, if you are a common size getting uniforms replaced can be a pain as they are usually out of stock. Usually, from my experience they(clothing stores) are pretty good about ordering things in.

As for not getting issued the tac vest and small pack, are you entitled to it? Are you still in the training system(ie BMQ, BMQ-L, QL3/DP1) ? Eventually you will get the tac vest, etc. Until that time, just use the webbing, those before you used it before the tac vest came out and it worked just fine for course, etc Hell, some guys still wear the webbing instead of the tac vest since the webbing is actually modular and can carry more.

Latvian, the webbing was around long after the C1s.. hence C7 mag pouches were made for it. The webbing might not be new and shiny but it'll get the job done.

I love my webbing ....... got given that on BMQ while everyone else got a tac-vest, then they gave me the tac-vest on SQ. They've tried to get me to turn the webbing in but I'll turn in the Tac-vest before I ever do that.

McKee August 16th, 2012 14:36

Re Afghanistan: Depending on what battle-group you went over with, and where abouts you were, attitudes toward wearing purchased vests varied. If you carried a C7 you are generally issued 10 mags, and if you were forced to use the tacvest, you could hold 5 mags between the pouches and your rifle and the other 5 would fit neatly in the C9 pouch. You usually ditched the 1L canteen pouch and carried a hydration pack, and then had your other C9 pouch for C9 ammo, but that configuration could vary. Keep in mind everyone has a small pack too so all your random items usually stored in the C9 pouch domestically can go in there. The vest works.. I personally dont like it though. The frag pouches are too small for actual frags, the canteen pouch makes it a bitch to get the canteen cup out (not that I ever used that pouch), the velcro wears down too quick, and you can't customize it for grenadiers, gunners, officers, etc. I don't know, just my opinion. Not a bad vest when it's free but I wouldn't pay for one.

Curo August 16th, 2012 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by McKee (Post 1692746)
Re Afghanistan: Depending on what battle-group you went over with, and where abouts you were, attitudes toward wearing purchased vests varied. If you carried a C7 you are generally issued 10 mags, and if you were forced to use the tacvest, you could hold 5 mags between the pouches and your rifle and the other 5 would fit neatly in the C9 pouch. You usually ditched the 1L canteen pouch and carried a hydration pack, and then had your other C9 pouch for C9 ammo, but that configuration could vary. Keep in mind everyone has a small pack too so all your random items usually stored in the C9 pouch domestically can go in there. The vest works.. I personally dont like it though. The frag pouches are too small for actual frags, the canteen pouch makes it a bitch to get the canteen cup out (not that I ever used that pouch), the velcro wears down too quick, and you can't customize it for grenadiers, gunners, officers, etc. I don't know, just my opinion. Not a bad vest when it's free but I wouldn't pay for one.

I'm not speaking from personal experience of using one, but I see the point you made about free, but over in Afghanistan your life could (does?) depend on your gear. If this vest is as bad as some people say it is then the price you pay using this vest could be your life. But I'm not speaking from any experience what so ever so feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Sometimes I wonder if all the bitching and complaining about half of the issued gear is because so & so bitched about it, so it must be horrible. Ya'know like how shitty it is got all hyped up and now people hate it without actually trying it. Kinda like how everyone seems to freakin' believe that have Magpul(s) and Magpul Gear makes you some elite highly trained shooter.
Ah well I'll find out for myself whenever they get around to sending me off to BMQ.

Cobrajr122 August 16th, 2012 16:34

The majority the land forces gets many chances a year to dick around with the issued tacvest. Getting mags in and out in any decent amount of time is a bitch. Sorting mags in the C9 pouch often produces spent mags. Many people dont have a choice though, not everybody is allowed their own gear.

I am sure that the guys that live in the vest have found many ways to make it work well for them, too bad I have not.

big_boss August 19th, 2012 01:47

I can't imagine why anyone would want the Tac Vest I've been issued.

The sleeping bag on the other hand is incredible. I value it more than anything else the reserves gave me. They were particularly adamant about demanding I return it come the end of my service though.

Of course I'm a SigOps puke so a tacvest isn't in the nebula of my concern anyway.

marac August 25th, 2012 14:17

On my tour we were given 11 mags, and I had no trouble carrying all 11 with a relatively easy access. One in a rifle. Four in their respective pouches. I attached the tripple mag pouch to the front, where the bayonet would sit, and it worked like gold. Two smoke grenade pouches (those attached to c9 pouches for those who don't know) fit two more mags perfectly. That's 10 mags right there for you to grab!!! So just like Skeletor said, it's useable.
Also, for those that need more random crap on their vest, try replacing c9 pouches with your smallpack pouches. It works.

Doc Green January 15th, 2013 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gato (Post 1222299)

Seriously, I dont know what reservists they are talking about it sure as hell isn't any unit I know of.

Also dont see why anyone would want half of this stuff its complete shite

Tac Vest - Dont even get me started
Gloves - Go for the Oakleys, they are waay better protection and breathing room
Boots - Sooo hot, whoever decided to make a non breathing boot for the dessert is a moron
Packs - CP Gear has better ones anyways, don't worry they aren't gonna run out
Rain Gear - Is about the only thing I agree with, STILL haven't been able to get this

Im 5'10 how the hell am I a "common size" im like the smallest guy hahaha

Jbone 11 11 November 14th, 2013 08:03

I used to train with an ex-reg force guy who does private contracting in Afghanistan for the american FOB's....I once opened my big mouth about how shitty the tac-vest was while we were over at his place having a beer.

He just gave me a look that said "WTF?" then asked me why I thought it was shitty. I told him because a lot of guys bitch about them, to which he basically said its fine and it works....just like Skeletor said, not the best but it gets the job done and those that make comments like that are generally full of shit.

It's funny, I've had the privilage of meeting and working with some cats who have been around and if there is one defining trate I've noticed its that there's a distinct style to the "bitching" a seasoned soldier has over one less so. And bitching about kit usually isn't one of them....not to the uninitiated anyway.

Meetreez September 4th, 2014 16:51

Good thing my CG634 was my dad's from back in '97 when the helmet was just introduced and he paid for it when he retired lol. I agree with you though, actively searching for CF kit on Ebay is pretty thoughtless, especially considering the tensions we're facing in Europe. Also, if you buy CF kit from eBay, you're probably overpaying. I saw a CG634 sell on eBay for over $400...

WPJ October 14th, 2014 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by marac (Post 1696096)
Also, for those that need more random crap on their vest, try replacing c9 pouches with your smallpack pouches. It works.

You can also put the small pack pouches on the back for non essential kit if you don't wear a pack.

CPGear also has a hydration replacement back panel what has molle
They also have dual shingles to go in-between the C9/canteen pouch and the vest
They also have two differs sized admin/general pouches that attach to tue same area.
They also just brought back recently the front admin panel what is covered in MOLLE.

So there is a number of options to make it work better with out permanent modifications.

R711 October 25th, 2014 19:58

The Tac vest works well for purple trades. It gives them a basic idea of what they need to carry in the field to operate. However, for combat arms the vest is useless. C9/6 gunner where you going to carry ammo? The magazine pockets are useless at that time, camelback great kit, but always carry a canteen as they are harder to break and the order goes Ammo/water/rations and comms depending on your role. Most other nations that were involved with Iraq/Afghanistan are on their 3rd or forth gen of PPE, meanwhile Canada is still stuck in either the Fulda Gap or Bosnia for FFO. This debate could go on for years LOL
R711

Trapper_692 November 9th, 2014 23:14

Does anyone want to know the real reason combat arm's units are not properly equipped: its because of people selling their kit, and purple trades being greedy and not giving it up when asked to turn it in I know because I spent 6 and a half years as a supply tech at CFB Cold Lake and I saw more front line kit go through our warehouse than you could imagine.

Trapper_692 November 9th, 2014 23:21

oh and one more thing with regards to the tac vest it comes with 2 c9 pouches and the C9 LMG takes standard C7/M16 mags as well and its not as well designed as the old OD tac vest but breathes better and is adjustable unlike the old tac vest, with regards to C6 gunners their ammo is typically carried in ammo cans or loose belts in a small pack or pouches attached to the tac vest.

WPJ November 11th, 2014 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper_692 (Post 1919181)
Does anyone want to know the real reason combat arm's units are not properly equipped

Just wondering on properly equipped as many would say that the issued tacvest is not properly equipped. Or are you referring to his availability...