Airsoft Canada

Airsoft Canada (https://airsoftcanada.com/forums.php)
-   Newbie Tank (https://airsoftcanada.com/forumdisplay.php?f=203)
-   -   Modding the RC Airsoft Tank (https://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=145169)

goduranus September 8th, 2012 13:47

Modding the RC Airsoft Tank

Hi all, I registered on this forum to ask a somewhat off-topic question.
I recently bought myself an RC tank that shoots 6mm BBs. Right now, its guns is underpowered, not even shooting through a coca cola can.

Tank Pic Here

I want to upgrade it to shoot through the plastic shells of other RC tanks, about 0.7mm thick, at 1-2 meters away. Is this even possible? How much fps do I need? And what would be the optimum ammunition?

The tank's airsoft system is cloned from Toyko Marui's 1/24 tanks, but I suspect that parts are not interchangable with TM's guns. Could the experienced players of the forum help me find some upgrade options?

Here's a picture of the tank's airsoft system.

http://toyeast.ideoconcepts.com/prod...a02105353a.jpg

Cobrajr122 September 8th, 2012 14:12

You are going to need a pretty high FPS so break plastic with plastic.

Plastic BBs will deform on contact which dissipates some of their energy, to avoid this and ensure that more energy is being transferred to the target you will have to use silica or metal BBs.

I have no idea what FPS would be needed to acomplish your task as it would depend on the type of plastic, the angle at which you hit it, and a bunch of other stuff.

goduranus September 8th, 2012 16:30

I did a quick search online for hard and dense materials that come in 6mm balls, and found tungsten carbide ball bearings. Over 1.5 gram a piece.
Now I have to find a tougher spring and see if I can reinforce the shooting mechanism.

ccyg8774 September 8th, 2012 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by goduranus (Post 1700911)
I want to upgrade it to shoot through the plastic shells of other RC tanks

Why would you want to do that... http://www.airsoftcanada.com/images/...s/icon_eek.gif

ccyg8774 September 8th, 2012 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by goduranus (Post 1700955)
I did a quick search online for hard and dense materials that come in 6mm balls, and found tungsten carbide ball bearings. Over 1.5 gram a piece.
Now I have to find a tougher spring and see if I can reinforce the shooting mechanism.

With BBs that heavy, the trajectory will be like "peeing" even with a very high power AEG. (higher power than you can achieve on the small space of that tank.)

Rookie Ab September 8th, 2012 21:53

What about silica bb's
Most are afraid they'll break through their guns and scopes.
should do a toy tank, with enough velocity ;)

goduranus September 8th, 2012 23:25

I'm gonna head out to the hardware store tomorrow to get a new spring, and up that velocity.

As the tank churns out a feeble 10 rpm, I suspect it has an insane gear ratio (50 times higher than AEGs?), thus enough torque to pull a very strong spring. However, the gearbox shell is made of toy-grade plastic, with gears themselves made of slightly stronger medical-grade plastic, so I am going to be conservative and start with one that is between twice and thrice as strong as the AEG springs.

I am aware that a spring too strong will break an un-reinforced gearbox, but I'd like to ask. When you install a spring stronger than the gun can handle, does the gun break right when you try to fire the first round(strength problem)? or is it after a certain number of round(wear and tear)? or does it happen mostly during sustained fire(vibrations)?

kyle milliken September 8th, 2012 23:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by goduranus (Post 1701056)
I'm gonna head out to the hardware store tomorrow to get a new spring to increase the velocity.

As the tank churns out a feeble 10 rpm, I suspect it has an insane gear ratio (50 times higher than AEGs?), thus enough torque to pull a very strong spring. However, the gearbox shell is made of toy-grade plastic, with gears themselves made of slightly stronger medical-grade plastic, so I am going to be conservative and start with one that is between twice and thrice as strong as the AEG springs.

I am aware that a spring too strong will break an un-reinforced gearbox, but I'd like to ask. When you install a spring stronger than the gun can handle, does the gun break right when you try to fire the first round(strength problem)? or is it after a certain number of round(wear and tear)? or does it happen mostly during sustained fire(vibrations)?

On the rate of fire issue the reason it shoots so slow is because the company that makes these tanks wanted to keep the thing as close to the real thing a possible so, they programmed it to shoot that slow. Meaning that no amount of modding to the gears and that well make it shoot faster.

ArcticFox1984 September 8th, 2012 23:38

a little from column a, b and c.

Stripped gears, blowing the front of the gearbox off and snapping axles are just a few of the more likely outcomes.

kinda hard to say as I've never seen the inside of a tm tank... the liberal use of plastics isn't reassuring though... might wanna do what you can to improve the airseal in the compression piston and go real easy on increased spring tension.

If that doesn't sound fun enough to you, then I'de suggest reinforcing the shell with jb weld and go for it.

goduranus September 9th, 2012 00:28

1 Attachment(s)
A picture of the gearbox interior,spring/guide removed.
Does it look like I can upgrade the gears with some from AEG kits?

Viperfish September 9th, 2012 00:32

Your best bet would be to look into modding it with an AEP gearbox.

XZIVR September 9th, 2012 00:40

Those gears are completely different from an AEG gearbox. I've seen these things before - used to sell them at a hobby shop. I can tell you that even a single AEG gear is about the same size as the whole set of gears in an RC tank.

Quote:

I'm gonna head out to the hardware store tomorrow to get a new spring, and up that velocity.

Um, the motor in an AEG is a tad bit bigger than what's in the tank. That sort of has something to do with the power. Insane gear ratio? Yes, I'm sure. Similar power potential? lol.

Also by the looks of it, the spring in the tank isn't compressed nearly as much in that thing as it is in an AEG. AEG springs are around 6 inches long uncompressed. They get compressed to around half that.

I'm still a little disturbed by why you want to damage other people's tanks, and worry that you don't fully comprehend the dangers involved.

baker_Jeff September 9th, 2012 00:52

Tightbore barrel?

ccyg8774 September 9th, 2012 01:43

Quote:

so I am going to be conservative and start with one that is between twice and thrice as strong as the AEG springs.

When you install a spring stronger than the gun can handle, does the gun break right when you try to fire the first round(strength problem)? or is it after a certain number of round(wear and tear)? or does it happen mostly during sustained fire(vibrations)?

On AEGs, the gearbox break from a strong spring mostly after some usage, as the piston knocking leaves small fractures and wears on the metal gearbox over time.

To your RC tank, I think it will be a different case.

Looking at the gearbox interior, I think a spring that between twice and thrice strength as the AEG spring will be strong enough to blast your tank gearbox right away if you managed to put the it in the gearbox. Flying spring, gears and plastic shrapnel are dangerous...

Viperfish September 9th, 2012 01:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccyg8774 (Post 1701093)
On AEGs, the gearbox break from a strong spring mostly after some usage, as the piston knocking leaves small fractures and wears on the metal gearbox over time.

To your RC tank, I think it will be a different case.

Looking at the gearbox interior, I think a spring that between twice and thrice strength as the AEG spring will be strong enough to blast your tank gearbox right away if you managed to put the it in the gearbox. Flying spring, gears and plastic shrapnel are dangerous...

Have to admit though, the gun on a tank exploding would look really badass!