View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2012, 07:21   #40
e-luder

Quote:
Originally Posted by golomons View Post
Thank you so much for your response!

It clear now that I should upgrade my gun. The much cheaper cost of propane will save me money over time.

I've decided to purchase the following:
- PGC CNC Glock 18C Metal Slide Set
- FIREFLY Cylinder Valve
- Guarder Enhanced Recoil Spring Guide

If you don't mind, could you please answer a few more questions:

1) Are these upgrades (after JB welding) enough to use propane on my gun for a long time?

2) Are magazine high output valves necessary for the heavier slide? Is it possible for me to bore the original valve holes larger for similar results?

Thank you so much again for sharing your knowledge!
1) Yes, these upgrades are sufficient for use with propane/green gas. The only thing I would add to your list is an enhanced loading nozzle. With a metal cylinder valve, the stock loading nozzle may crack under the pressure of the gas. The stock nozzle is designed for use with the weaker plastic valve. Using a metal may not necessarily break this stock nozzle but will speed up its deterioration. The Guarder replacement is a sufficient replacement and has less flex and generally lasts longer with the Firefly Rocket valve you plan on installing. That setup has lasted me more than a year and its still going strong. You may also want to invest in a few extra piston heads by Guarder as these are very brittle and tends to be the first to break.

2) High output blowoff valve are not really necessary to move your metal slide. What makes it 'move' is primarily the recoil spring and the airseals/airflow of your gun. You can put a stock recoil spring on metal slide with a high blowoff valve and the gun still wont have a nice crisp slide return than a stock valve with an upgraded recoil spring. Also, for maximum gas output with these blowoff valves, you'll need a stronger hammer spring to create an efficient valve strike.

Your PGC slide and barrel set is lightweight aluminum. It's even further lightened by having a ported topside. You won't need a upgrade your blowoff valve but you will need to, at least, put some buffers on your recoil spring guide especially if its a strengthened spring. Or if you don't mind a sluggish slide return, purchase the NineBall recoil spring and spring guide with the buffers already preinstalled. The spring is not strengthened and shock buffers short strokes your pistol. This is designed for use with the stock plastic slide that's why you won't get a nice slide return like you would on the stronger Guarder springs.

There is no way to check to status of that screw post once you JB Weld your chassis to your frame since it will bond the two together. How long your pistol will last depends solely on how vigilant you maintain it. Lubrication, cleaning, and spotting any performance drops and so on, all contribute to its longevity. Thus, I can not answer "how long your pistol will last" based on this philosophy but I can tell you that the set-up you described above will be enough for you to run your pistol on green gas.

Last edited by e-luder; June 24th, 2012 at 07:49..
e-luder is offline   Reply With Quote