View Single Post
Old July 25th, 2014, 18:23   #428
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack The Ripper View Post
Don't buy Gen1. Save your money and buy Gen3, Gen2+ minimum. Everyone who has ever bought Gen1 and gone Gen3 later on will tell you, including myself. It's just worth it.
Coming from a guy that's used both, there's a huge price gap between the best gen1 and what I consider to be fieldable gen2

The high end gen1 boasts amazing clarity, but obviously just doesn't amplify light a whole heck of a lot
The "next step up" $1000-$1400 gen2 units amplify light better, but either have so much noise, or so little resolution (often times less res than yukon gen1) that they actually start being on par with gen1
It's no secret that there are gen3 tubes that are so cheap they're only as good as the high end gen2 tubes. The same is true for gen2 and gen1.
The same is true for low end gen1 tubes and the naked eye LOL

As far as I've seen with my own eyes, there's yukon or other similarly high end gen1 units, and then there's $2000 gen2 units, and nothing really worth getting in between those two.
That's effectively a used ptw in savings.

So, you can have a $2000 NVD, closer to $2500 if you're head mounting it, that you'll use 2-4 times a year

OR, you can have a $500 riflescope that you'll use 2-4 times a year, and a ptw!
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote