View Single Post
Old April 11th, 2008, 00:38   #55
Firewalker

Send a message via ICQ to Firewalker Send a message via AIM to Firewalker Send a message via MSN to Firewalker Send a message via Yahoo to Firewalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
In addition I enforce a "realcap" mag limit.
This is one thing that no one has really touched on. Mag limits.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most airsofters use midcaps. At XT they use midcaps, and only allow midcaps (if memory serves me correctly; haven't been in ages).

Midcaps with semi-only @ 5 mags/ person (average) = a lot of unspent ammo.
Real caps with semi-only @ 5 mags/ person = probably need to refill.
Midcaps with full auto @ 5 mags per person = probably need to refill.
Real caps with full auto @ 5 mags/ person = either a lot of chosen shots OR short games.

Personally, I think if it's gonna be a full auto game, it should allow midcaps, for the simple reason that it will let the games stretch out longer. People still have to be smart with their ammo, but they can also be a bit more liberal and have a bit more "Action Movie" moments. Not saying that noobs will be as responsible with their ammo, but most experienced players will have no problem maintaining trigger control.

If it's gonna be semi-only, then real-caps (or mids filled to real-cap capacity) will make it a lot more interesting. when you've got 340 bb's (that's 68 x 5) and are only firing semi, it'll take you a while to run out. Hell, using my SR-25, I have to try hard to go through one mag of 120 in a skrim.

Though I do have to say, I'd love to try a real-cap full auto game sometime. It'd be nice to see what it's like.

Also, another way to limit the ammo, is to restrict the amount of mags allowed on a person. If you, say, do decide to do 350, full auto. You can limit each person to 4 mags and only 4 mags (midcap). This will promote more responsibility. Hell, if people are stuck with only 272 bb's, they're not going to want to spray and pray if that means they've gotta spend ~5 minutes at respawn reloading.

This is all my opinion though. I've not run an airsoft CQB building before so take it as just an airsofter's opinion.

EDIT: And for the record, the "Blocks" concept is not my own, just repeating some very good ideas that I happened to agree with that have been brought up elsewhere.