View Single Post
Old February 15th, 2013, 09:06   #25
Uberg33k

I work in the film Industry and I have worked on Rookie Blue (As well as Flashpoint, Nikita etc) as a matter of fact, both as a Background Performer and as Casting Rep (Wrangler). I can tell you that you will run into trouble. All I can say is be careful. I have had to send BG home because they simply stood outside smoking in their Wardrobe. A few years ago a BG stole a police Uniform and went around town getting free food and the like. He was eventually caught but since then Productions have tightened their belts.

I have talked to many PDO's (Paid Duty Officers) and they were all unanimous that the Uniforms we use on film are so accurate at times that from a distance they can't even tell. When they can tell it's usually because the BG and/or Actor doesn't carry themselves like a Police Officer. This is why I teach a course not only about this very topic, but set etiquette as well as proper gun handling etc. Can't begin to tell you how many people get booked SSE that have never handled a gun before! But that's another story.

Good luck with your project I know how hard it is (I've written and Produced my own) and it's damn tough out there. If you have any questions regarding rules and regulations I'll help you out anyway I can.

EDIT: As for the "they're old patches don't worry about it" argument. Trust me when I say it DOES matter. What the one gentleman on here said about reflecting on TPS is correct. This is what the officers that I have spoken to reiterated as well. This includes the mandatory ETF officer that must be on set if we go hot during filming. Lastly I'll assume your production is Non-Actra (Non Union) so you can get away with a bit more. But if you guys are Actra members and maybe filming TIP or Co-Op, you MUST abide by the IPA which has much stricter guidelines than non-Union. Again, if you have any questions and/or concerns don't hesitate to message me. I wouldn't want to see your production shut down because of a red tape technicality.

Last edited by Uberg33k; February 15th, 2013 at 09:52..