View Single Post
Old September 22nd, 2009, 12:33   #58
tunabreath

Well, mine has arrived. I just a a few things to add:

First off, this pistol is BIG. I mean, it's not Mk23 big, but it's a good half an inch longer and taller than a G17/18C, and the slide is maybe a quarter inch wider. Despite all that, the grip is incredibly comfortable.

I was worried about the size of the grip when initially considering this pistol. The thing is it's long, but very slim. The "C" from your thumb along your palm leading to your trigger finger is probably where most discomfort stems from when using wider pistols like 2011s and M9s. On the 5-7, the grip is especially slim above the thumb/finger rest where the C of your hand rests. It's actually a good chunk slimmer than my aforementioned G18C. The length doesn't seem to cause any problems at all. Your fingers just wrap around slightly less, but the grip is still very solid. The stippling is a great addition.

The other thing that I was worried about was the position of the magazine release, considering the length of the grip. I guess FN anticipated this - the mag catch wraps around the front of the grip and extends further back than on most pistols. This makes it even easier to reach than the shorter but stockier Glock and MUCH easier to reach than on a Beretta. The slide catch is also much easier to use since it's been moved back to above where your thumb actually rests. TM did reinforce the slide and catch with metal. The design of the internal section here looks like it will last much longer under wear than the TM G17. That said, it's useless for a lefty and I don't use it anyways (rack to charge, rack to close).

Probably my biggest disappointment so far is the hop up design. It's still the same very stable design as the hicapa and Mk23. The difference (and cause of the issue) is the adjustment. The chamber is much narrower than on these other pistols (well, honestly - 5.7 vs .45?), which really limited space for the hop up adjustment wheel. As a result, instead of the very easy to adjust half wheel with indicator used in the Mk23 there is a tiny full wheel. It feels mushy and is not visually clear as to where your hop is set. It's also relatively difficult to adjust. That said, it's still the same good design and does incorporate a h-hop style notched pusher.

Another thing, this thing actually works REALLY well on duster (I guess that's to be expected). Don't let the low fps fool you, it's still quite the performer. I'm still using propane though

Last edited by tunabreath; September 22nd, 2009 at 12:41..
tunabreath is offline   Reply With Quote