View Single Post
Old February 18th, 2016, 18:34   #8
Dartaflan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltastronk View Post
Whats the quote you are getting on the XX1441's - those are going to be the same tubes you can get from Alpha Optics (in Hamilton, not the one you linked) and GSCI and they will accommodate if you ask specifically for it.

As long as you are getting a good unit with decent specs made in the last few years, Photonis tubes are going to provide you stupid value for your dollar. I've gone through a number of them, built them for friends, and everyone's been happy with their performance. They get you 80-90% of the way to that mystical Gen 3 performance at half the price. The only times you are really going to notice a substantial difference is when there is not enough light to go around - and even then variations in Gen 3's also start coming into play (OMNI 4 vs OMNI 7 vs Filmless) - In short? They are fine and let you see in the dark when you need to.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with a Photonis tube. I've used them many times and had great experiences. What you need to be aware of is housings and how the optics in whatever you put the tube in will factor in a hell of a lot more than you think.
I'm in europe actually so importing stuff from canada has its drawbacks.
I'd be willing to risk import taxes for a good gen3 unit with a 7 years warranty.
But for a photonis gen2 I'd prefer to order here somewhere.
The website I've linked sells the XX1441 tube at 1389€ (2120CAD).
As for housings, I haven't found much,a few GT-14 for sale. From what I've gathered it's decent but nothing too fancy in terms of optics.
Maybe I can order the housing in canada ?

I asked Alpha optics for a monocular and they've offered me for 2050€ (3100CAD) (+shipping) their AC6015 unit with an XX1441AH tube, which is, if I googled correctly a higher end tube that has failed tests. They guarantee 64 lp/mm minimum (other specs unknown).
The probability to pay taxes on this is quite high, so + 25% roughly :banghead:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoki View Post
If you find yourself in the sort of condition where your NVG isn't effective even with a S/N 21 tube, most likely those guys without NODS can't see crap either.
Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoki View Post
Ultimately though, it is a cost-vs-function thing. Obviously the higher the s/N and sensitivity, the better. IF you can find a second-hand NODS originating from the other side of Lake Ontario with L3/Litton tubes in it, even better.
I'd love to but second hand is a gamble I'm not really eager to make.
There's just now way to tell what the unit has been through. Don't get me wrong though, if someone would offer me a unit in perfect condition that was bought recently and there's a spec sheet, I'd take it
Dartaflan is offline   Reply With Quote