Thread: Donate THIS!
View Single Post
Old September 2nd, 2005, 10:17   #72
MMMiles!
Part man, part machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_Sniper_
how much would something like this cost? Im imagining theres gonna be roughly 600-1000 bucks there in the next week. Thats alot of money for a server is it not?
Well, to give you an idea, if Tru dropped dead tomorrow, I could run the site for about 3-4 months with the current donations, and then I'd have to bust out my Visa again. That's still alot, because it's expensive to host a site this size.

I'm really amazed with how things have turned out, I had 0 expectations about these donations. Right now we've almost cleared the capital cost of starting the server (which was entirely out of my pocket), and now some will go towards upgrades (another 512MB of ram being added soon), as well as running costs, and there are more software upgrades I'd love to do (hawt auction mebbe?).

Sean and I and all the other mods have been doing this for almost 5 years, and we've never asked for anything. Websites don't run themselves, and everything you see when you log on is the result of so many hours I don't even want to think about it.

And I don't want to think about the money either. I'm not going to ask for subscription fees, or user fees. Whatever people can give, they give. You can donate a fat bag of nothing and the site will continue to run and be maintained for your use, for all I know for another 5 years.

To all the guys that have already donated, I can't thank you enough. You guys care about ASC as much as we do! I guarantee Sean is as pleased as I am. He didn't put any money in, but he's logged hundreds of hours over the years as well, and while we've had plenty of arguments over how to run things, we've both put alot of our time, blood, sweat and tears (he cries like a little girl) into ASC over the years. I get pretty blaze about it sometimes, but seeing guys come out to support what we do for you guys really helps.

So again, thank you guys.

-Miles

:xmas:
MMMiles! is offline   Reply With Quote