Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Need advice on Radios

:

Gear Discussion

Old November 17th, 2012, 19:45   #1
-tastic
-TitSwagZ

Send a message via ICQ to -tastic Send a message via AIM to -tastic Send a message via MSN to -tastic Send a message via Yahoo to -tastic Send a message via Skype™ to -tastic
Need advice on Radios

out of all these radio, which one transmit the best (distance wise)?
http://www.airsoftpark.com/interphon...urrency_id=GBP

tygr701: MUNEYY PREASE
-tastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 21:05   #2
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

I honestly would not touch any of those. They all seem to be some pretty off brands.

I would stick with a Puxing.

Transmission distance depends on a lot of factors. Output power, Antenna length, connector losses, quality of parts, and your surroundings are the key ones. The lower quality radio you go, the worse its going to get.

With this frequency range and the size of the radios, you will never see more then a few KM of range (if you're lucky) unless you start spending a lot of money amplifying your signal and getting quality antennas.
Cobrajr122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 21:20   #3
Fuji

Puxing or wouxun
Fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 22:10   #4
mike_sinyard
derp!

Im going to be playing indoors throughout the winter and outdoors for the first time once spring hits. I also want to know about radios.. Where would i look? what brands? what type of radio? what type of mic?
Im going to be wearing a half mesh so im curious. i thought a throat mic would be a good idea but a friend said its not unless you buy a very expensive one..
Old November 17th, 2012, 22:27   #5
coach
aka coachster

Puxing or wouxun

I would recommend staying away from anything that sends roger beeps unless you can learn how to disable it! Includes blister pack motorolas, cobra, midlands and the like.

Get whatever type of headset or combination of shoulder mic and ear piece you find comfortable. I personally prefer the silicon acoustic tube type ear piece for comfort.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 23:28   #6
Kozzie
a.k.a. Greedy

You should totally get these
http://www.airsoftpark.com/toys-wris...le-p-9096.html
Kozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 08:29   #7
mike_sinyard
derp!

Niicee. Im gunna get the watches
Old November 18th, 2012, 13:10   #8
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
You can get a good Puxing or similar for around $80. Mine was transmitting clear almost 6 miles (10km) IN THE CITY with all the interference. Outside the city would be much more.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services

Last edited by Styrak; November 18th, 2012 at 13:12..
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 13:37   #9
Jaelommiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
You can get a good Puxing or similar for around $80. Mine was transmitting clear almost 6 miles (10km) IN THE CITY with all the interference. Outside the city would be much more.
+1 to this. I bought a hardly used (still in box and had the 'new electronic' smell) Puxing PX-888D for $50 shipped, complete with battery, charger, etc. Keep an eye on the classifieds and act fast when a deal pops up. I haven't tested for range, but I've never had a complaint about distorted comms.
Jaelommiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 13:59   #10
Ozone06

Puxing -888 with an extra battery all you need
Ozone06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 14:26   #11
DustMagnet

I use a Baofeng UV5R (~$45) with an earbone earpiece w/finger PTT (mic and earphone in one, ~$15). It has served me well in the woods.

I route the wiring inside my BDU shirt with the PTT down my left arm and around the base of my index finger so that I can trigger it without taking a hand off my rifle. I use the strap of my glove as a strain relief for the PTT wire.

I had no luck with the USB programming cable (most have clone Prolific USB chips that have lousy driver support), so I would recommend a serial port version (with a serial-USB adapter if necesssary).
DustMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 14:51   #12
Zack The Ripper

Send a message via MSN to Zack The Ripper
Quote:
Originally Posted by coach View Post
I would recommend staying away from anything that sends roger beeps unless you can learn how to disable it! Includes blister pack motorolas, cobra, midlands and the like.
This just my personal take from my own experience. I have indeed owned a more expensive Puxing, and they are great, but:

I use a Cobra now and actually have zero issues with it: I use it everywhere I go with and without an ear piece and never have transmission issues and never get complaints about garbled comms, even when transmitting in thick woods, from indoors to out doors, or vice versa, etc. etc.. ONLY problem I've ever had with it was yesterday at Finch, and it turned out to be my ear piece which got wet and had a lot of crackling on the incoming due to that. Unplugged the ear piece for the remainder of the game and had zero issues. Just gotta go buy another ear piece for $10 now, which beats spending the money most other people spend. Maybe that's just me though.

Unlike some people I actually read the manuals that come with my new gear to see the little technical 'ins and outs' before putting them to use. People who can't figure out how to turn off a roger beep on those things are just door knobs, plain and simple. Instructions come in several languages on most of these cheaper radios, and are very simple and straight forward, usually with pictures too.. Ultimately higher quality radio's are better, but really, unless you're doing a large milsim on a HUGE playing ground that's more than 2-3km wide at any point, it isn't truly a necessity to have a radio that can transmit out to 40km on open ground.

Rather than spending $100+ on a comms setup, I've spent a mere $60 (TOPS) on a comms setup that is simple, but works effectively. Just something to consider. That being said, nothing beats a Puxing as I have owned one before.

Last edited by Zack The Ripper; November 18th, 2012 at 14:54..
Zack The Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 16:41   #13
danhay

I would highly recommend the Puxing PX-888 (be careful and do not get the dual band as UHF FRS band is all that is legal). My team has been using this radio for a while now and we have had zero problems with them and enjoy the ability to monitor dual channels.

I would recommend that you pick up at least one spare 1600 mAh battery as the 1100 mAh battery included with the handset is not enough for a 24 hour event.

Also, make sure you get a headset of some sort. An open speaker is a tactical friend getter; every received transmission broadcasts your position and attracts unwanted attention.

Cheers - Dan
danhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 19:38   #14
jupiterl

Holy Sh1t. This is the first time I see a ICOM replica !!!!
Old November 30th, 2012, 23:17   #15
tac57

Get a Quansheng TG-UV2. Great dual band VHF/UHF radio, compatible with all UHF "walkie talkies" (entering specific frequency) and proper uhf radios. Accepts standard kenwood headsets/mics.

I use one and love it. They're around 80 bucks on ebay.
tac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion