I'm down for trying it 8 53.33%
no thats stupid go die in a fire 5 33.33%
I dunno AEG look pretty real in the night. 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 28th, 2010, 11:31   #1
banana bandanna

Send a message via MSN to banana bandanna
Silencers/tracer units

I recently got a Big Dragon Tracer unit, set me back 40$ I shot off a couple rounds last night. I encountered a couple of problems, the button which turn's on the unit won’t stay in place, I need to hold it down when firing and I got a AR-15 so it’s not the most comfortable thing to do. Granted, when I do hold it down works fine. When exiting the barrel it looks like a real tracer round going off, on full auto however it won’t always light up every BB. That’s a trivial issue one of the main reasons I purchased it is for when I go night softing up north and I got my mid-caps, I’ll stick 5 glow in the dark BB'S in the bottom of the mag to tell me when I'm running low on ammo.

That’s pretty much it for the tracers and how it well it works, now let’s talk threads! The threading was a bitch and a half, it might be because of my G&G because taking off the original flash hider was no easier the putting that mofo on :banghead: . Another complaint about the threading, it’s very odd how they have they silencers casing's thread "correct me if I used the wrong terminology" turns clock wise and the threading to put on the whole of the silencer turns counter clock wise. It will get very frustration to put on the silencer at times. Bugs aside when you get it working it's a blast for night fighting.

All so for you who did not go it already you need glowing BB's for it to operate properly.

Disclaimer: I strongly DIS-encourage stupidity via go in to a public park with you air soft guns at night and using tracers

Please air soft responsibly
banana bandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 11:51   #2
doc_pathfinders

what is the point of this poll? try and re-word your post to give us an idea what exactly it is that you're asking..

-- Adolph Hitler, April 11 1942.

Adolph hitler supports gun control.. Do you?

Sic Semper Tyrannis.
doc_pathfinders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 11:55   #3
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

Nothing wrong with playing airsoft at night, so long as you are in a suitable location e.g. paintball field etc.

Your poll suggests that you do condone going out in public at night as that's what it sounds like you did.

And night softing sounds gay.
Old June 28th, 2010, 12:17   #4
Qlong
Division

Yeah, this was the first picture that came up when I googled "night softing".

Sounds like going gay clubbing or something.

Weee!
Qlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 12:18   #5
ShelledPants

As someone who plays a lot of night games in Ontario, I can tell you that tracer units are only good for suppression and giving your position away. With that, I believe that they are only effective for a support role with a box fed machine gun as part of a larger force.

At night, it's most effective to roll lights out, then either bump the enemy in the dark, or go lights hard with everyone and sweep through to kill everything.

The investment some players have made into the world of nightvision devices (civ/le/mil) has proven to be the most effective in the forest, so long as your nvod is passive and doesn't require an IR source of illumination, otherwise, with the growing number of players on the field with NVOD's, you'll stand out like a flashlight to them.

Tracer units? Gimmics. NVOD's? The real worthy investment into night operations.

Also, playing in public is just about the easiest way to be removed from the gene pool.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qlong View Post
Yeah, this was the first picture that came up when I googled "night softing".

Sounds like going gay clubbing or something.

Glow in the dark tampon? Wtf?

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 12:21   #6
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana bandanna View Post

I recently got a Big Dragon Tracer unit, set me back 40$ I shot off a couple rounds last night. I encountered a couple of problems, the button which turn's on the unit won’t stay in place, I need to hold it down when firing and I got a AR-15 so it’s not the most comfortable thing to do. Granted, when I do hold it down works fine. When exiting the barrel it looks like a real tracer round going off, on full auto however it won’t always light up every BB. That’s a trivial issue one of the main reasons I purchased it is for when I go night softing up north and I got my mid-caps, I’ll stick 5 glow in the dark BB'S in the bottom of the mag to tell me when I'm running low on ammo.

That’s pretty much it for the tracers and how it well it works, now let’s talk threads! The threading was a bitch and a half, it might be because of my G&G because taking off the original flash hider was no easier the putting that mofo on :banghead: . Another complaint about the threading, it’s very odd how they have they silencers casing's thread "correct me if I used the wrong terminology" turns clock wise and the threading to put on the whole of the silencer turns counter clock wise. It will get very frustration to put on the silencer at times. Bugs aside when you get it working it's a blast for night fighting.

All so for you who did not go it already you need glowing BB's for it to operate properly.

Disclaimer: I strongly DIS-encourage stupidity via go in to a public park with you air soft guns at night and using tracers

Please air soft responsibly
what exactly are you trying to say here?

I have never heard of the Big Dragon Tracer unit but off ehobby it looks like the JG or a knockoff of the JG which is a knockoff of the TM gen2.

My JG doesn't fire up everytime but I also have the TM gen 1 and gen 2. (JG is now on my M4 with the MB ultimate tracer) Both 1st and 2nd gen work exceptionally and charge every single GID BB I fire. Rip through a mid cap full of tracers! your opfor will stop in their tracks going "oooh wow!".
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 13:00   #7
TokyoSeven
Red Wine & Adderall

Big dragon tracer unit eh...
I think Aqua has a pic of one up in one of his sales threads. It doesnt look like anything fancy...the horrible english on the packaging alone should be a big enough warning.

"Its only a little bit on fire"
TokyoSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 14:17   #8
doc_pathfinders

tracers only have two scenario's for use imho:

1. FIBUA (also known as CQB) for the 'fuck it's a lightsaber' effect (suppression)
2. Force multiplier (One guy with good NVG's and a tracer can direct an attack or defense, meaning that you don't need to have 6+ sets of nice NVG's, just the order 'watch my tracer'

point 2 is something that was first practiced in the korean war (M2 or M3 carbines with the first generation Night vision optics and tracer rounds) and was found to be very effective, this is one thing that i have found passes on to airsoft quite well.

-- Adolph Hitler, April 11 1942.

Adolph hitler supports gun control.. Do you?

Sic Semper Tyrannis.
doc_pathfinders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 15:23   #9
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Throw away the shitty tracer unit and buy a TM Gen2 tracer unit. Strangely, they work how they were intended to!

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 16:56   #10
Danke

I don't object to the tracer unit marking your position at night. We're all about uber-real-sim here so in real life you can't just snuggle up under a pine tree and shoot away to your heart's content. You have to pick your shot, make it count, and then move.

I will decry the lack of heavy tracer BBs, in red of course.

Just don't be this guy

YouTube- Generation Kill - Follow My Tracers

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion