Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Lalo Shadow Amphibian

:

Reviews

Old November 2nd, 2015, 03:40   #1
Amoki

Lalo Shadow Amphibian

Going to start the review by saying if you're looking for anything other than a water-draining boots, pretty much stop here and go the way the the Salomon Quest 4D/4D II. Also, I don't consider these to have much "cool" factor: despite the sales pitch, just about the only people who have been documented to use them is the USMC MEU units for VBSS ops.

I played in a lot of mil-sim games. One of the big issue I ran in during the years was water in my boots: either due to river-crossing (!) or cutting through thick bush in the early mornings while dews are still sticking around and slowly saturating your pants. Goretex pants nor Sealskins would solve your issue completely especially once water goes into your GTX-lined boots.

Potential solutions came down to three options: US jungle boots, Danner RAT hot weathers, or these. I am not a fan of the 9' boot cut, and was looking for a good deal between either the Danner RAT and this. Then Ehobbyasia had a 20% sale on boots. The rest was history. (I paid U$240 + shipping.) Price point-wise, these would be a close competition with the RAT.

Quick low-down since there is very little review on this item online:
- they do run true to sizing. I am a US 9.5 W with a Merrell Moab (RIP), US 10 with "normal" boots (which currently include a pair of Danner Terraforce GTX and two pairs of Salomon Quests). On arrival, these suit me just fine.

- They will not support custom insoles/podiatry inserts. These boots literally have multiple "cutlets" in the soles of the boots that channel water into the 6 draining ports (per boot) at the base of the shoe. In other words, these boots are designed to drain water fast. The sole is not removable, through has a very slight, flexible arch.

- These boots do have a fancy cover system that will shield the laces from being undone. Nifty.

- These boots are not as easy to slip-in as the Quests. It has to do with the way the top portion of the boot is designed.

- These boots are LIGHT. Salomon Quests are about 1kg: these are about 500g. Once laced up, it does feel like you are wearing a pair of sneakers that have been beefed up to have good ankle support. But I do feel this cuts both ways: comparing this to something like a Danner RAT, the RAT will almost certainly be better constructed and beefed out than this... even if it is not as gimmicky or drain as well.

- They do feel well-constructed and comfortable. They are made in Taiwan.

- Field report to come.

Suffice to say if you want something lightweight and can drain water, these do have a place in your inventory. But I really do not consider these as a staple, all-purpose boots for airsoft/mil-sim the way the Salomon Quest would perform and last. Think of them as water-draining pew-pew sneakers and you'll do right; think of them as durable boots that will last for three years and more the way those Salomon Quest do, and you might end up disappointed.

Last edited by Amoki; November 2nd, 2015 at 03:47..
Amoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2015, 05:11   #2
Amoki

Managed to use these pair of boots during a 24 hour game during which there were 16mm rainfall. Goretex boots would not have helped from experience because water would have gotten into your boots eventually as you run, crawl etc even with gaiters and Goretx pants (which brings in their own set of problems).

- I used it with Sealskinz. There were moisture in my feet at the end of the event, but talk about not needing to walk in wet socks and water inside your boots...

- The thread is not as grippy as a Salomon Quest. Does the job, but I almost slipped a few times going down hills because of the wetness of vegetation.

- The way that the shoe lacing is designed ensured that the lacing stayed put until I took off the lace. Great feature.

- Biggest complaint with this boot is the colour: the sand colour is almost shiny in natural conditions. I was wearing a Krptek Mandrake pants. It is almost a good idea to Krylon the boots.

Overall? Mixed feelings. It does what it's meant to do (a pair of boots that allow water to drain through your sole in conditions where you are almost certainly guaranteed to get water inside your boots), but it has its problems. This is almost certainly a niche boots for very specific contexts and definitely not for everybody.

Last edited by Amoki; November 29th, 2015 at 05:18..
Amoki is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews