Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Army Armament R85A1 Review

:

Reviews

Old January 28th, 2008, 14:57   #16
Lerch
* AV Status REVOKED *

Yup, you can remove the charging handle and port cover...along with just about everything else I found out
Old January 28th, 2008, 15:10   #17
kalnaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatt13 View Post
sounds like an excellent gun. i love my star, but this one sounds on par with mine. on the outside looking in, i would definatly reccommend this over a star (cost/ bang for buck-wise) the blow bak is a cool option, is it possible to polish the areas it contacts?
Definetly. The mechanism comes from the factory generously lubed, and adding some silicone oil to the side of the cylinder and other grease on the upper body above the mechbox is simply a matter of taking off the upper part of the body.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 10:42   #18
Brit ter

Great gun ,I sure like mine .I just need the susat now!
Old February 3rd, 2008, 11:53   #19
kalnaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit ter View Post
Great gun ,I sure like mine .I just need the susat now!
I have mine on order, I can't wait to get it! I'll definetly update with some pics when it comes in.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
Old February 3rd, 2008, 12:02   #20
Brit ter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
I have mine on order, I can't wait to get it! I'll definetly update with some pics when it comes in.
Ive ordered mine through Huang
Old February 4th, 2008, 15:35   #21
kalnaren

*UPDATE*
(I can't seem to edit the first post anymore)

Well, the battery turned out to be even worse than I thought. One major problem this gun has is lockups in semi-auto. Think FA-MAS, only a lot worse. Actually, it was so bad, in the last test I did I couldn't even fire any rounds in semi-auto. It locked up every time. The source of the problem turned out to be the battery. I replaced it with an Elite 8.4v 1500mah mini, and wow, the difference is amazing. ROF is increased greatly (I'll chronie it to test later) and the mechbox didn't lock up once. So I definitely recommend using another 8.4v battery, not the stock one.

Quote:
Old February 4th, 2008, 15:41   #22
swatt13
Captain Awesome

i had that problem with my star, i ended up makeing a large battery to fit in place. 5 sideways then 2forward faceing connected by jumper wires. mah is an issue tho, i think the biggest i could get to fit in there like hat was 2400, which is good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSeven
a Systema PTW is like KD, where the noodles are plated in gold and the cheese sauce is actually a pool of hot naked women.
swatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 15:53   #23
Lerch
* AV Status REVOKED *

Yup, the battery sucks for the semi-auto...

And the rail sucks with the STAR SUSAT. If you do plan going that way, you'll need to grind down the top of the rail (about a millimeter) so that the SUSAT slides on smooth. Took me about an hour to grind it, dremmel it smooth and paint it.
Old February 4th, 2008, 16:05   #24
kalnaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerch View Post
Yup, the battery sucks for the semi-auto...

And the rail sucks with the STAR SUSAT. If you do plan going that way, you'll need to grind down the top of the rail (about a millimeter) so that the SUSAT slides on smooth. Took me about an hour to grind it, dremmel it smooth and paint it.
I took the easy way out and ordered an Army Code L85 rail for it

Quote:
Old February 4th, 2008, 17:48   #25
Sergeantmajor

we have the same bed sheets!!

oh, and nice gun.
Sergeantmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 07:40   #26
Brit ter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
I took the easy way out and ordered an Army Code L85 rail for it
Where did you order the rail from!
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:56   #27
kalnaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit ter View Post
Where did you order the rail from!
WGC, or UNCompany.. I can't remember. I had Jugglze import it for me.

Quote:
Old February 10th, 2008, 14:06   #28
Brit ter

I,ll wait to see if huang can pick up my susat then decide on to file down the rail or order an new rail!
Old February 26th, 2008, 09:39   #29
kalnaren

*UPDATE*

Thought I would throw an update in here after skirmishing with it at the Wasaga game.

Equipment in the gun:
-Systema 6.04mm tightbore.
-G&P Metel hopup

Overall, not overly impressed.

The Good:
-Love the L85 platform -small, easy to maneuver, quick to shoulder, nice all round.

The Bad:
-Misfeeds. Holy f**k misfeeds. At this game I had to hit the bottom of the mag about every 5 seconds to reseat it in the reciever.
-Lost semi-auto at the end of the day

The loss of semi-auto turned out to be a BB blocking the selector assembly, so once that was removed semi worked fine again.

As for the misfeeds..
After a very large part of experimentation (one good thing about the L85, easy to field strip) it turns out that the misfeeds were a combination of the systema tightbore and the magazines sitting slightly too low. After replaceing the tightbore with the standard barrel and adding a piece of electrical tape to the back of the mags to make them sit very tight in the reciever it seems to feed fine. I thought maybe the new hop-up unit was causing the problems, but apparently not.

As for good things I pulled the top half of the mechbox off to inspect the piston/cylinder etc, and it was in good shape. The piston, piston head, and nozzel look fine, no wear, and actually look and feel better quality than the ones in my CA36.

Quote:

Last edited by kalnaren; February 26th, 2008 at 09:46..
Old March 9th, 2008, 19:18   #30
kalnaren

Another update here..

As far as I can tell, I managed to fix the misfeeding issue. More testing is in order. The mags sat too low in the magazine well, so I needed to put a little "spacer" (two layer thick of electrical tape) between the magazine body and the top of the insert for the magazine.

Other than that, gun is still going strong. No mechanical faults as of yet.

Quote:
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews