Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Non-paintball goggles / Full-faced vs. goggles / Modified

:

Gear Discussion

Closed Thread

Old April 5th, 2006, 21:32   #16
Greylocks

Read the technical reports on them, very clearly says not to use them for airsoft.

Ratings against branches and such are one thing. The impact surface and velocity are different.

But do as you please, it's your eyes. At least field owners will take your safety seriously even if you dont.

The guns you used, were they upgraded? If yes, at what FPS with what ammo?

Anyway, moot point, you wont listen. Carry on.
Old April 5th, 2006, 21:38   #17
Debber

Send a message via ICQ to Debber Send a message via MSN to Debber
Well in that case perhaps I should invest in a pair of tactical goggles that are shatter proof as it may be terribly dangerous.
Though I wouldn't mind taking a gander at those reports. Do you happen to have a web address or something?
Cheers!
Old April 5th, 2006, 22:23   #18
bean
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to bean
Greylocks is always right and i guess i will bow to his will. Boy i guess the soldiers in fort pickett know this wouldnt want one of them to lose an eye.

Edit> The officer in my unit had to give my goggles the ok when we went to the range. He had to check the ansi rating and everythign because i was using them as a replacement for the cf issued ones since i cant wear them and my glasses. These goggles have been tossed from moving vehicles, thrown into the back of helicopters and been shot at with guns varying between 280-400fps all at point blank with no indications of wear. I guess when a company like oakley designs tactical goggles its in there best intrest to make them to the rating they say.
Old April 6th, 2006, 06:18   #19
Greylocks

You first quoted SKI goggles. There are ballistic goggles made by the same companies you quoted.
You are giving advice to a new person who may not know the difference in what you are saying. "Ski goggles are ok if made by that company??? Wow, I'll go get some now!" I've seen this happen, and we blew holes right through them with an AEG.

There IS a difference between the rating for a ski goggle, and a ballistic goggle. Numbers may be the same, but application is not. Something can have a perfect rating against rocks, low velocity (but heavy) impacts, spent shells ejected from guns, etc.
A direct hit from a BB is not the same type of impact.

You also are recommending a goggle that is NOT accepted everywhere; this means that even if it's solid enough, this player may be refused access to a game site. Will that make them happy?

When recommending goggles that can be used EVERYWHERE, use common sense and suggest what works. That happens to be paintball goggles.
IF the game site allows something else, the new player can inform himself/herself with local players directly, then choose some other option.

Always right? Nope. Practical? I try. Why dont you think about what is guaranteed to be good for the new player anywhere first? Special types of goggles can come later.
Old April 6th, 2006, 07:13   #20
yanhchan

Send a message via AIM to yanhchan Send a message via MSN to yanhchan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greylocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debber
In essence, you could just buy ski goggles and do the same thing, attach a bandana to those. As ski goggles are shatter proof as well.
And than you have tons of selections.
Bolle, Oakley, etc.
I use Oakley's personally.
Hope this helps!
This has to be the WORST, most UNSAFE, advice I've seen this month. Ski goggles?
No...this is the worst unsafe advice...

You know those 3D glasses they used to have in the ceral boxes...yeah...use those instead...lightweight and makes stuff nice colours

Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country ~John F. Kennedy
Closed ThreadTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion