Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Canadian
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

CF Pioneer

:

Canadian

Old October 11th, 2011, 13:39   #31
Wantabe_Warrior

Just wondering. My grandfather was in the Navy, (don't know when, sorry) and the story is that he could keep a bit of a beard because he kept it trimmed so the gas mask still fit and sealed properly on his face. What are the comments on here of it?

perks:
Chairsofter
Fortunate Son
Wantabe_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 14:08   #32
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kull View Post
In the 80's the beard was to distinguish them easily on the battlefield. The assault pioneer was part of an infantry battalion, he was very important because he would have the special equipment and training to breach enemy fortifications, disarm mines, breach barbwire, destroy fortified positions (concrete bunkers) etc. At least that's what I was told when I was attached to the infantry, I was signals The rest of us were told we couldn't wear the beard because of the gas mask.
Nonsense, it was a tradition, that was preserved.. at their own peril... One of these things is not like the other is a magnet for snipers.

Traditionally Sappers were often also company blacksmiths.. and anyone who has spent any time next to a forge knows why blacksmiths have beards.
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite

Last edited by Brian McIlmoyle; October 11th, 2011 at 14:16..
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 17:27   #33
Danke

The theory was for a beard/gas mask you coat the beard in Vaseline and then put the mask on. The grease made a secondary seal.

The reality was if you were an infantry soldier in the pioneer platoon headed to the Fulda Gap you would be shaving before you got there. You were on the sharp end for NBC tasks.

You also might wind up having to remove it if you went on a course that was outside you unit (unless you really enjoyed being the first guy noticed at inspection).
Old October 11th, 2011, 17:45   #34
Jamroxorz
Jamroz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantabe_Warrior
Just wondering. My grandfather was in the Navy, (don't know when, sorry) and the story is that he could keep a bit of a beard because he kept it trimmed so the gas mask still fit and sealed properly on his face. What are the comments on here of it?
I'm studying Paramedicine and it's the same rule, gotta shave for the N95s. But my teacher told us that there was a Muslim guy(so if I got it wrong) I believe who couldn't shave his whole beard due to religion, so he compromised to shave an outline just so the mask could fit. =S
Jamroxorz is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Canadian