Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Why you don't wear Military Insignia you haven't earned..

:

Gear Discussion

Closed Thread

Old April 28th, 2008, 14:22   #31
Bowers

Send a message via MSN to Bowers
Quote:
at least he wasn't all done up while surfing ASC on the computer!

would anyone be surprised if he did?
Old April 28th, 2008, 14:31   #32
tangofox33

Send a message via MSN to tangofox33
well i know that its ellegal for civi's to own or have real arm forces camo in thier posetion.as for the badges and stuff , if its just a game or a movie i personally find it ok.i LOVEE Stargate SG-1 and ive gone outta my way to dress and have the whole bit. my friends and i make our own movies and we have a whole CG( computer graphics artist ) crew who makes all our effect ( exsplosions and stuff) for us, and its quite fun. :-)
Old April 28th, 2008, 15:04   #33
Lawless

Send a message via MSN to Lawless
Lets face it guys airsoft is just modern LARPing with a little less gay.

airsoft: Dress up as a soldier, insurgent, angry civi, zombie, secret agent, ect. Wear combat boots and tac vests. Go out into a mock up battle field and shoot tiny plastic balls at each other.

LARP: Dress up as a Knight, orc, wizard, zombie, ninja, ect. Wear a replica armor and breastplates. Go into a mock fantasy setting and hit each other with plastic swords.

Ok sure so the diffrence is airsofters role play somthing that exists, but that really shouldnt matter, it is just playing a role and having some fun. A way to escape the norm. I mean I am in the CF but I prefere to play as a civie or some other role because cadpat and milsim (well not sim) IS the norm for me therefore I want somthing diffrent. Same for anyone not in a military who plays the role of somone who is. Just dont walk around in public in a uniform that you shouldnt be wearing.
Old April 28th, 2008, 16:00   #34
Danke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless View Post
Lets face it guys airsoft is just modern LARPing with a little less gay.
Enable level four boots of kicking!
Old April 28th, 2008, 16:38   #35
Dracheous
Lego Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
Enable level four boots of kicking!
lightening bolt lightening bolt.

Pretty harsh, when I was reading that I thought it was a joke as in a Ha Ha deal; then I got to the insults of him wearing desert gear because he's here in Canada and now I'm royally pissed. What's wrong with Canadian enlisted or not wearing desert patterns? I mean what's that say about Canada's involvement in the Middle East? Shouldn't be allowed to wear Desert cause they're from Canada?! Give me a break.

The entire take down of Lerch is ridiculous and overzealous. Funny that its posted just after he gets confirmed orders for his BMQ enrollment.

"The hydrogen economy car from the people who brought you the 'Hindenburg'" - Glen Foster

Condoms do not guarantee safe sex any more. A friend of mine wore one and was shot by the woman's husband!
Old April 28th, 2008, 16:43   #36
max.power

I obviously have no problem with wearing some camo uniform you bought and adding some patches you bought. This is a game/simulation/whatever.

The problem is when you upload pictures of yourself doing such to MILITARYPHOTOS.NET, not "MILSIMPHOTOS.NET" or whatever. (If he actually did upload them himself, he brought it on himself.)
Old April 28th, 2008, 16:51   #37
Mitchell12
vision impaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by max.power View Post
I obviously have no problem with wearing some camo uniform you bought and adding some patches you bought. This is a game/simulation/whatever.

The problem is when you upload pictures of yourself doing such to MILITARYPHOTOS.NET, not "MILSIMPHOTOS.NET" or whatever. (If he actually did upload them himself, he brought it on himself.)
I agree with Max but there is a point to draw the line. I think slip-ons and equivalent trade/unit markings are too much. That little tab on the bottom of slip-ons or that shoulder flash saying your unit is a bit too much for airsoft in my opinion. People work hard for their trade and often have a strong bond with their unit like a brother hood. So if your pretending to be part of that brother hood when your not I can see how it's offensive.
Old April 28th, 2008, 16:58   #38
Danke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracheous View Post
lightening bolt lightening bolt.

Pretty harsh, when I was reading that I thought it was a joke as in a Ha Ha deal; then I got to the insults of him wearing desert gear because he's here in Canada and now I'm royally pissed. What's wrong with Canadian enlisted or not wearing desert patterns? I mean what's that say about Canada's involvement in the Middle East? Shouldn't be allowed to wear Desert cause they're from Canada?! Give me a break.

The entire take down of Lerch is ridiculous and overzealous. Funny that its posted just after he gets confirmed orders for his BMQ enrollment.
I know, I know, I should have said "PLUS FOUR
"
, and not "LEVEL FOUR".

Brits that haven't been to Wainwright may not know about our vast Canadian deserts (heck people in Ontario don't even know{or even our delicious desserts}) but you never know, they could be familiar with the terrain around Abbotsford and know there isn't a hint of cactus there short of a garden center.
Old April 28th, 2008, 17:21   #39
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Formally RedComrade

I wear badges, on my nam uniform and I intend to wear them on my MC, did I earn them no. Do I fucking admire the people that do earn them and fight for us etc HELL YES I DO! If I can give them praise by wearing their unit badge then I'm going to. Learch got lynched unfairly for sporting Brit badges. And militaryphotos.net has a lot of arm chair commandos too, so their self-righteous bullshit doesn't fly half the time, the ones on mil photos who serve, AWESOME! If they wanna get pissed off then obviously they don't know flattery when they see it.
Old April 28th, 2008, 17:22   #40
Scarecrow
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Scarecrow
Its simple, if it is worn with the intent to mislead someone into believing that the said rank/medals/insignia were earned when they were not, I agree, its improper, as is wearing your re-enactment uniform in a place like a plane - there is no valid reason to be wearing it there other than to do just that.

However, re-enactment and military simulation has a long and respectable history going back to the civil war and earlier. Re-enactors play an important role in maintaining public awareness and help keep alive valuable history. A re-enactor goes to great lengths to ensure his/her re-enactment is an accurate portrayal, even going as far as to consult veterans or historical references to get the look and persona correct.

Warriors in the modern era that would accept re-enactors of past conflicts and nations sometimes forget that their own period is just as valid to re-enact as a past one, and in many cases, is just as important to remember and maintain. The vast majority of re-enactors usually revere those they are portraying and have more respect for those they are 'playing' than I think many give credit for. I attribute that to a simple lack of understanding of the motives and purposes by those who see it today.

Airsoft is cannon fodder for a lot of groups like real gun hobbiests, as well as serving members of the military and police services. I've been on the recieving end of that negative response on many occassions and thankfully I am articulate enough to explain it, in detail, and in many cases make new friends who respect why I do it and are subsequently honored by it. There are the few that will always just chalk it up to posing, and well, thats the wonderful thing about a free country - the right to disagree.

Anyone who sees life in the framework of 'absolutes' with no areas of gray or compromise are just socially and mentally inflexible. I don't spend much time trying to change someone who operates like that as its pretty much a waste of time because they lack the capacity or empathy to extend themselves to another point of view. -MikeL- 's posts are precisely that and I wouldn't spend another minute debating it with him, or anyone else on that other board. Move on to something productive.
Old April 28th, 2008, 17:32   #41
Deftonius
Troll

Send a message via ICQ to Deftonius Send a message via AIM to Deftonius Send a message via MSN to Deftonius
Do the Stargate fanboys freak out if they see an airsofter wearing SGC patches?

Personally I grew out of wearing rank and unit patches a long time ago, except of course for my 'Nam getup, which is more of a reenactment kit than an airsofting kit.

The same thing can be said by the extremists about say, camo patterns... Example "Fuck a duck, you're not a marine, why are you wearing MARPAT?" etc etc.

It's a never ending circle.

And may god help the poor soul who gets jump wings tattooed on him without actually earning his jump wings.
Old April 28th, 2008, 17:33   #42
Bunny

100% agree with MikeL, and I'll leave it at that.
Read Stephen Taylor here
Those who trade liberty for safety will ultimately deprive themselves of both.
Old April 28th, 2008, 17:39   #43
Lawless

Send a message via MSN to Lawless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftonius View Post

And may god help the poor soul who gets jump wings tattooed on him without actually earning his jump wings.
People with a jump tattoo who arnt jumpers is just wrong. I mean sure pretend all you want get a patch wear it while you LARP (:P) but a freakin tattoo?

Last edited by Lawless; April 28th, 2008 at 17:43..
Old April 28th, 2008, 17:50   #44
Sergeantmajor

some people are way too materialistic...
Old April 28th, 2008, 17:53   #45
Bowers

Send a message via MSN to Bowers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeantmajor View Post
some people are way too materialistic...
oh snap this could go bad
Closed ThreadTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion