Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

gear for newbie

:

Gear Discussion

Old January 30th, 2015, 12:26   #46
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

Send a message via MSN to beta678
Might want to fill in your location info. Camo really is region dependent, so ppl can probably give you a better recommendation if they have an idea of where you are.

That said you can run whatever you like. There's a couple of guys here who run real tree and it's god damn effective. If you've got some decent hunting camo you can run w/ that for your first few games and at the same time, see what others are using.
Old January 30th, 2015, 17:28   #47
Datawraith

I play some winter games. If the field you play in has a lot of trees and shade, doesn't matter what you're wearing. You can wear a regular ski jacket and snow pants if you like because of how dark the shadows can get during the winter. Camo is at it's best during the other 3 seasons.
As for which pattern, it is region dependent like beta678 said. I find that MARPAT works pretty much anywhere, although it can be a little dark sometimes. Multicam is alright, but may be a little too tan for some regions. CADPAT is good for very lush areas, but if it's in yellowish tall grass or a forest that doesn't have a a lot of foliage, then it sticks out and can also be fairly dark. ATACS... I like it, but it doesn't work well where I play. UCP is only good for urban, and not even very good for that (would not advise). If you play indoors a lot, try some desert digital camo, like DESPAT or Arid CADPAT, simply because the pattern works really well against the backdrop of the plywood.
Basically when it comes to camo, if it blends in nicely where you play and you like the pattern, go for it.
Datawraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 17:33   #48
NovaTheNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSRT8 View Post
Well i guess its time to throw down some cash and get some gear then. Ill start with my primary and a chest rig. Hopefully, a bit of milspec camo as time goes on rather than my hunting gear lol

Does anybody play in winter outside? I know its not ideal but when IS combat ideal? Im wondering if winter camo is a good idea or just stick with summer colours?
I've used a very thin, loose white top and pants over everything and been less than 10 feet from someone without being seen. However, the cold wreaks havoc on both gas and battery life. Most guns tend to go down in that environment thus limiting the amount of outdoor winter games that are run.
Old January 30th, 2015, 18:01   #49
Datawraith

You know how to kinda fix that a bit nova? You get those handwarmers from the dollar store, and you put them close to (but not on top of) the batteries. I have a crane stock, but run buffer tube lipos, so I stick the handwarmers into the two side compartments. Keeps that battery fairly warm without overheating it. I have no idea if this can work for gas though (maybe stick a handwarmer underneath the pouch where you keep your mags?)
Datawraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 18:17   #50
BKSRT8

Yea makes sense. I have a really nice co2 pellet rifle and i remember it loosing power awefully quick in the cold. I got fed up and switched over to springers after the temp was below about 10 degrees.

I guess ive got some research to do on camo paterns...everything you just said may as well have been in chinese lol. When i was in cadets we wore GREEN lol
BKSRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 19:31   #51
L473ncy

Not to derail this thread too much but have you also considered getting your kid an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle?

But seriously if you want to get them into target shooting as well a nice basic Daisy with peep sights is perfect, doesn't need to be a $4000 Anschutz, FWB, or Steyr or anything, you're not competing in the Olympics.

Other than that, you're doing perfect as a parent IMO and as someone in my mid 20's I want to be like you when I have kids. BTW for Ontario I think in most places MARPAT (MARine PATtern) works quite well because it's almost like badlands mixed with green wooded areas and should be able to be found fairly cheap (in a boreal rainforest like the BC Coast I think CADPAT tends to work better because it's more green and full of ferns).
Old January 30th, 2015, 19:50   #52
BKSRT8

Its more about getting outside than learning to shoot. They have become glued to goddamn tv screens and its getting worse the older they get. Unfortunatly they arent old enough for cadets or that would be the next step. My youngest is more like me and loves being outside but my oldest wouldnt sleep or eat if he was allowed and literally sit in front of a videogame untill his thumbs fell off. We do the rc car thing and thats sweet but we gotta switch up the activities or it gets boring. I figure if i piss away enough money, the gf will leave me, thus allowing her portion of the grocery bill to go towards nicer gear. It hasnt worked yet....and my hobbies have been VERY expensive lol
Old January 30th, 2015, 19:52   #53
RainyEyes

Quote:
I figure if i piss away enough money, the gf will leave me, thus allowing her portion of the grocery bill to go towards nicer gear. It hasnt worked yet....and my hobbies have been VERY expensive lol
RainyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 20:13   #54
BKSRT8

^ i know right?

How come everything awesome is so expensive? Makes for very unstable relationships...trust me
Old January 30th, 2015, 20:20   #55
L473ncy

Another thing to consider is mountain biking (another expensive hobby I know). But I've loved biking since I was a kid (like when I was 12). Started with a CCM Canadian Tire special and that was OK for riding in the city and light multi use walking/bike trails. I've since moved to proper Hardail and FS bikes with Deore and SLX groupsets but I continue to enjoy riding whether it's commuting or shredding all mountain trails and there's always something new and different to ride.

I never thought I'd say it but kids these days are all wired up (technically I grew up in Gen Y/millennial generation so should be similar to them but I was on the tail end of when people still used the command line and didn't think it was "hacking").

I was on the bus during Christmas time and there were elementary school kids with iPhones and Nintendo 3DS'es. My first phone was an LG clamshell on a pay as you go plan and I had to buy my own HTC Glacier when I wanted a smartphone.

Kick them out of the house and tell them to go to the park until dinnertime (although I think these days you'll get CPS called on you for that, there was that story of the 10 and 14 year old who's mom let them walk to the park half a mile away and the police took said kids back to the parents house and had CPS do a review of the household or something).
Old January 30th, 2015, 21:04   #56
BKSRT8

They like biking. I dont personnally have one anymore so its a pita to go out. I keep meaning to buy a bike but i always get the look of death when i start riding around sport check on an $800 GT. I try not to buy junk if i can help it....GT was good stuff when i was a kid so thats generally what i figure i should buy lol
They skateboard a bit which is good and basketball.....but they have no outdoors/bush skills. I doubt either of them could even start a fire by accident lol Thats probably my fault tho...working nights most of thier lives cut into a fair chunk of our time together.
Old January 30th, 2015, 21:36   #57
L473ncy

Don't get the $800 GT. My current commuter is the $500 GT Karakoram 4.0 (they call it the Comp these days I think). Bought off Pinkbike for $360. BTW GT is owned by Cannondale/Dorel (who also owns Iron Horse cycles and Mongoose (I used to have a Mongoose IBOC)) so if you get a GT it'll basically have the same kit on it as a Cannondale (the Cannondale Trail series and GT Karakoram have basically the same frame geometry and kit on them).

It might not be a popular brand out that way but Brodie Bikes if you get a "last year" model can be found fairly cheap ($399 new IIRC) if you're looking for a basic full rigid commuter (Brodie Bolt). Kona's are good too.

I know it can be hard if you work nights (although my dad was actually there for my brothers and I, minus the occasional overnight stay out of town when he was out in the field) but rest assured at least you're trying and that's commendable.
Old January 30th, 2015, 21:51   #58
RainyEyes

Quote:
They skateboard a bit which is good and basketball.....but they have no outdoors/bush skills. I doubt either of them could even start a fire by accident lol Thats probably my fault tho...working nights most of thier lives cut into a fair chunk of our time together.
Hobbies were meant to be something you do once in a while to occupy downtime in between work, etc etc.

You need to find something that you all enjoy, because if you don't have a good time, neither will your kids.

Have you thought about fishing?
RainyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 23:05   #59
grantmac

I do traditional archery. I've never found a cheaper accuracy based hobby.

Depending on local zoning you can do it in your yard.

Grant
grantmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 12:00   #60
BKSRT8

[/QUOTE] Kona's are good too.[/QUOTE]

WAY back in the day i knew a guy that rode a Kona Kula. It was one of the lightest bikes id ever seen back then. Had Fox shocks and clip on pedals which i had never seen before.....i thought it was a pretty sick bike. Bought a mountain bike magazine soon after meeting him and started seeing the $5000 frames with nothing attached.....another sport that could get way out of control lol

We do go fishing a fair bit. They finally get the concept of casting so thats become a regular outing for us. I FINALLY, two years ago, bought my first center pin after 20 years of fishing with a zebco spinning reel. So thats been a challenge for me, we generally catch nothing but i did get my first steelie on my center pin and that, is what fishing is all about. Ill never fish streams with anything else again.

My uncle and i used to do archery but when he moved to NS that all kinda stopped...i was 16 when he left. I dont have a recurve anymore. Thats not a bad idea tho, there isnt alot of places down here for it but theres lots of room up north

I figured airsoft would be good for all of us. Its running and crawling and lots of moving around. They'll sit there all day playing black ops and love it, so why not try the real thing? For me its a chance to be a cadet again lol Bring back memories of Borden and its the closest to the military ill ever get. I miss being in cadets altho i doubt my knees could take it these days, all the standing at attention would be bad news for me lol I ocassionally get a big burst of energy and can run around like a kid again for a while so im not totally screwed yet. Its also a discipline thing for the kids. Sneaking around through the trees and being quiet and patient. Itll be good for them i think
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion