Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Why you don't wear Military Insignia you haven't earned..

:

Gear Discussion

Closed Thread

Old April 28th, 2008, 23:53   #61
gallantcorey

Send a message via MSN to gallantcorey
Quote:
Originally Posted by -MikeL- View Post

Reenacting/Living History the past, ie WW2, Vietnam, etc IMO is fine. With the exception to some reenactors who wear medals for valor, etc.

Making yourself out to be a modern soldier, etc an wearing Combat Patches, CIBs, Jump Wings, etc Not a fan of. You can look like whatever you want without the insignia.
Why should battle reenacting be limited to battles 20 years +? How are modern day military tabs/wings/patches any different then say a ww2 ones? They didnt mean as much back then as they do now?

Seeing as he had posted his pics in a reenactment/airsoft forum I don't see how the people that wrote that page could be so pig-headed.
“The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.” - Sir Robert Peel
Old April 29th, 2008, 00:11   #62
Sturmur

Send a message via MSN to Sturmur
I'd like to precede that I have read many of Lerch's posts and even though I haven't met him think he is a good guy and I mean him no harm on his reputation. I think with his military training in BMQ, SQ, etc, he will see his mistakes.

In my opinion, I think no military patches should be used on any uniforms. Unless, you are reenacting a specific battle with a specific outcome then it would be fine. Airsofters are trying to mimic specific groups of different countries who have gone or are going into battle that have earned their badges through hard work and discipline. I don't mean to sound like a military elitist, but earning badges you haven't put your blood, sweat and tears into is disrespectful to the ones who have.

The question is, is he reenacting specific battles or is he trying to mimic the regiment is that he is wearing. I believe that the moniker of "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" does not work in the military sense. Again, I am not trying to sound like a military douchebag but having earned a badge in my "unit" has shown me that the badges that have come up in this discussion should not be degenerated into some materialistic squabble.

The soldiers who have earned their trade specific badges should be revered, not through imitation, but through the refusal of wearing said badges.
Old April 29th, 2008, 00:34   #63
Dirtbag

2 cents

Quote:
Why should battle reenacting be limited to battles 20 years +? How are modern day military tabs/wings/patches any different then say a ww2 ones? They didnt mean as much back then as they do now?
It is not any different it is simply in the way you personally view airsoft. But this is like an abortion discussion, the mid ground discuss and the extremes will never change.

I have a wee bit different opinion to Sturmur, trade badges don't mean much beyond the learning the skills required to acquire that badge. Rank insigna is pretty much the same thing, all armies use some form, a great many as is ours, is based on the British system. If a an airsoft group wants to use them to define the chain of command more power to them.

As for the colour of a beret it is a like trade or rank identifier, it simply indicates your basic skill set, maroon for airborne, black for armoured etc. Now some brit units and us special forces use the beret a little differently but in and of itself it has no great meaning.

And yes I did my time and earned the rank and trades qualifications, to make the comments above.

Unit specific identifiers , such as cap badges and shoulder flashes are tricky. Mostly because for a lot of people it is an emotional issue. But as others have pointed out if it is ok for re-enactors then it is ok for airsoft. Would I want an airsoft guy wearing my regimental cap badge and a black beret in game, not really. But if someone did I would expect the same level of detail Lerch puts into his kit or off with it.

And really that is what this should be about did he make an effort to make it as correct as possible. I have played with him,and figure he made a solid effort, so correct his mistake so the kit is right and move on.
Old April 29th, 2008, 01:04   #64
Lerch
* AV Status REVOKED *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTaL_oWnAgE View Post
I know Lerch personally from when I was OJTing his division at HMCS Quadra and I know that he in no way shape or form would try to pass himself off as anything he is not. Though he was drooling over joining the CF at that time. Sheer, sorry for the bad luck. Just another showing of how some people have no life other than picking people apart on the net to make themselves look better.
I don't consider it bad luck, hell, it makes for a good laugh

For the rest of you, whether you're against the wearing, for the wearing, or frankly don't give two shits, carry on. I can't believe how much chit chat there's been on the subject since the blokes on ARRSE picked up some old pictures of me :P
Old April 29th, 2008, 01:08   #65
Bunny

Technically, under the Criminal Code, it's also illegal:

Quote:
419. Every one who without lawful authority, the proof of which lies on him,

(a) wears a uniform of the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force or a uniform that is so similar to the uniform of any of those forces that it is likely to be mistaken therefor,

(b) wears a distinctive mark relating to wounds received or service performed in war, or a military medal, ribbon, badge, chevron or any decoration or order that is awarded for war services, or any imitation thereof, or any mark or device or thing that is likely to be mistaken for any such mark, medal, ribbon, badge, chevron, decoration or order,

(c) has in his possession a certificate of discharge, certificate of release, statement of service or identity card from the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force that has not been issued to and does not belong to him, or

(d) has in his possession a commission or warrant or a certificate of discharge, certificate of release, statement of service or identity card, issued to an officer or a person in or who has been in the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force, that contains any alteration that is not verified by the initials of the officer who issued it, or by the initials of an officer thereto lawfully authorized,

is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

R.S., c. C-34, s. 377.
Read Stephen Taylor here
Those who trade liberty for safety will ultimately deprive themselves of both.
Old April 29th, 2008, 01:18   #66
Sturmur

Send a message via MSN to Sturmur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerch View Post
I don't consider it bad luck, hell, it makes for a good laugh

For the rest of you, whether you're against the wearing, for the wearing, or frankly don't give two shits, carry on. I can't believe how much chit chat there's been on the subject since the blokes on ARRSE picked up some old pictures of me :P
Mate, it's not because it was picked up by ARRSE but it's the principle behind it.
Old April 29th, 2008, 01:36   #67
pamparius

i have an evil monkey (family guy) patch that i'm planning to put them on my M84 Camo... is that a sin??
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:02   #68
The Lutz

419. Every one who without lawful authority, the proof of which lies on him,

(a) wears a uniform of the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force or a uniform that is so similar to the uniform of any of those forces that it is likely to be mistaken therefor,

(b) wears a distinctive mark relating to wounds received or service performed in war, or a military medal, ribbon, badge, chevron or any decoration or order that is awarded for war services, or any imitation thereof, or any mark or device or thing that is likely to be mistaken for any such mark, medal, ribbon, badge, chevron, decoration or order,

Now, would this not also include re-enactors? what about pers in an airsoft game that use an issued pattern with matching kit? (even if obtained in the civilian market, and possibly close knockoff?)

i realize that this may be taking the regs far too literal, but if the issue is based on principle...
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:14   #69
seekah

Send a message via MSN to seekah
The blog has an update.
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:17   #70
Danke

See Brits do have a sense of humor, of course they could be fishing you in for a larger "beasting" but it'll be fun to watch either way.
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:26   #71
BlackTiger

Send a message via AIM to BlackTiger Send a message via MSN to BlackTiger Send a message via Yahoo to BlackTiger
Ridiculous argument. People need to look past themselves. As long as he's not hurting anyone then so be it. He's reenacting with the best of intentions, never made any false claims. Why tread on his toes, there's really no point in calling him out for nothing. Thread should be locked and binned, especially since is concerns a member of these boards.

Last edited by BlackTiger; April 29th, 2008 at 02:29..
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:33   #72
Lerch
* AV Status REVOKED *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmur View Post
Mate, it's not because it was picked up by ARRSE but it's the principle behind it.
You misinterpret what I meant, the amount of threads that came out in the past week is what I referred to, not the discussion itself (which has been dogged on MP.net for awhile now).
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:40   #73
Ronan
Official Crybaby Chairsofter

How about people do what they want (as long its not illegal) and others mind their own business and worry about themselves?

Lerch awesome stuff.

Edit: Wearing a uniform in public is different that on a private airsoft field.

Last edited by Ronan; April 29th, 2008 at 02:43..
Old April 29th, 2008, 05:48   #74
arman

if i was lerch id feel FAMOUS...

playing with my kid!
Old April 29th, 2008, 07:06   #75
Scarecrow
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Scarecrow
There are some things that are simply not worth explaining to someone who is unwilling to listen or understand. Move along.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion