Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Great boots. Cheap!

:

Gear Discussion

Old January 13th, 2015, 19:10   #91
Kungpow

Well that was quick. No fees.... not sure why the pic makes the boots blue though.

Kungpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 19:15   #92
gogojuice

More Pics... More Pics.... how do they feel / fit?
gogojuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 19:22   #93
L473ncy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kungpow View Post
Well that was quick. No fees.... not sure why the pic makes the boots blue though.
FedEx's MO is to send you a letter trying to collect duties/brokerage 3 weeks later. UPS at least will refuse to deliver your package until you pay their brokerage fees.

After talking to 3 CS reps from 5.10 it appears that they likely used the "FedEx Ground Brokerage-Inclusive Service" where they pay the brokerage to clear customs. Which is probably why we paid like $30 for shipping when they sent the pallet as one piece. I've dealt with Rosenau Transport before for shipping things and my old workplace would ship things on one pallet as "multiple packages" to a warehouse so it could be split up and crews pick up their individual packages.

I guess we'll see about brokerage charges in 3 weeks time.
Old January 13th, 2015, 20:50   #94
Cliffradical
butthurt for not having a user title

I had zero interaction on delivery (would think the guy was individually an ass if I hadn't run a shipping dept and known how overworked/ underpaid the grunts are), and zero followup. I've had them since early December.

Seems like 5.10 took the more expensive shipping option by default to save the end consumer headaches. Preferable to "your problem now" IMHO.

I hope y'all get lots out of them, and Merry Bootmas!
Cliffradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 21:47   #95
L473ncy

If all goes well, I might just pick up a pair of bike and climbing shoes next year. Too bad 5.10 doesn't make chalk bags and harnesses otherwise I'd be all over that shit (I already kind of suck Arc'Teryx's dick at the moment, I'd love to have a set of their stuff but I can't justify the cost, imagine if they made cams for trad climbing.... it'd probably be like $5K for a set of cams)

I do suspect they did take the more expensive shipping option although their CS rep was only a CS rep and didn't really interact with the shipping department but he did imply that's what was done to the best of his knowledge.

I guess it's the "free shipping" deals that we need to be aware of coming from the US that's probably how UPS, FedEx, DHL and the like screw over the receiver and are able to charge the shipper such cheap rates. If you know what I know from doing shipping work at a previous company, UPS offers up to like 70% off shipping for large enterprises and at least 30% off shipping for SME's.
Old January 13th, 2015, 22:12   #96
Cliffradical

In good part from working shipping and seeing cost, I am pretty ruthlessly skeptical of "#%-off" anything.

The end consumer can benefit disproportionally or be disproportionally fucked, but actual savings happen when the shipping manager and acquisitions/ sales manager(s) actually work together.
Unless all of you hit a wall of bullshit 4ft high, I think these guys may have erred on the side of the consumer, which is a risk at the black line, but also a great pull for new customers if they've written off this line anyway (hint: closeouts).

For example, I have a deep, burning want for a lot of their shoes.
Old January 13th, 2015, 22:52   #97
L473ncy

Well it definitely is a gamble on their part but they already had me as a customer since I got my first pair of Impact Lows. SUPER sticky rubber especially on my bottom of the barrel wellgo flat pedals and their climbing shoes are incredibly sticky and great for smearing too.
Old January 13th, 2015, 23:08   #98
Cliffradical

I'm new in the climbing thing, what is smearing? Is that like non-visual searching for a toe hold?

Old but not savvy on trail riding:
I'm running a single gear (relatively) low ratio setup, what footwear do I want? Hikers? Skate shoes are too pretty.

NM. Self-derail (duuh). PM if you really want to.

Edit 2:
Google'd smearing. Cool! These would do it, as per fences, stucco, or hanging out on window panes. Real Actual Operators/ Support: are you getting this? You probably have the newer ones.

Last edited by Cliffradical; January 13th, 2015 at 23:58..
Old January 14th, 2015, 00:10   #99
Kungpow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogojuice View Post
More Pics... More Pics.... how do they feel / fit?
I can tell you that they are comfortable and grippy as hell. I think someone suggested to order 1/2 a size up, so I ordered 11s and they are a bit on the big side almost an inch and a bit. My regular shoe size is 10.5 but this can be fixed with dry fit socks and some wool socks or something. They look awesome and are nice and warm.
Old January 14th, 2015, 10:01   #100
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
Odd.. Mind went to BC and back to Nashville, TN :O.

Maybe a faster route? Thought once they land in Canada, they travel in Canada to destination.
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 10:43   #101
AnthonyG
LUser Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kungpow View Post
I can tell you that they are comfortable and grippy as hell. I think someone suggested to order 1/2 a size up, so I ordered 11s and they are a bit on the big side almost an inch and a bit. My regular shoe size is 10.5 but this can be fixed with dry fit socks and some wool socks or something. They look awesome and are nice and warm.
An inch of space, from going a half size up!?!?!

Each half size should only be 3/16 of an inch or so. Are you sure you know your foot size?
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 13:35   #102
Cliffradical

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioRage View Post
Odd.. Mind went to BC and back to Nashville, TN :O.

Maybe a faster route? Thought once they land in Canada, they travel in Canada to destination.
Ask them to send it back with some bourbon for your trouble.
Old January 14th, 2015, 14:05   #103
Kungpow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
An inch of space, from going a half size up!?!?!

Each half size should only be 3/16 of an inch or so. Are you sure you know your foot size?
I wear a size 10.5 to leave almost an in to grow. I bought an 11 to leave an inch to grow and its a tad bigger than my regular shoe. Its not bad though I like having a bit of room and the socks make them fit snug.
Old January 14th, 2015, 14:22   #104
Sequential

Did you guys end up buying the 2012 version or 2013?

Apparently the 2013 is priced the same price, it looks a bit nicer than the 2012...
Old January 14th, 2015, 15:40   #105
L473ncy

Just picked mine up during lunchtime I'm kind of uneasy about Fedex leaving a package at my doorstep. I'm in between classes at the moment so here's a pic.

I'll give a proper review probably on friday. Also confirmed that both my high top boots were the 2012 version. It looks like the black ones they used a pic of the 2013 version but the boot itself is the 2012 version just in black. The Low top black boots however are the 2013 version.

@ Biorage, that's odd. I know Fedex has some fucked up routes though so it's not totally out of the question that your pallet got rerouted and is taking a fucked up route. But I've never seen something like that once it's hit Canada (and I assume it's a bonded warehouse for inspection by CBSA)

ie.

Wait and see what happens.

BTW looks like they used Fedex IDD and my conversations with their reps confirms it. Pallet is consolidated as a single item then goes to port of entry (Richmond BC) and gets split up and delivered to individual customers once it's cleared. Looks like part of the shipping charges from all of us goes into the duties and brokerage. But well see in 3 weeks time if Fedex sends collection letters out or not.

Last edited by L473ncy; January 14th, 2015 at 15:46..
L473ncy is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion