Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

It was just a simple paintjob... or so I thought...

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old June 30th, 2014, 03:24   #1
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

Send a message via MSN to beta678
It was just a simple paintjob... or so I thought...

Well, I fucked up... decided to get rid of the crappy glow in the dark sights on my WE M&P and repaint them into white dots but this happened...

Turns out WE decided to cover the rear sight in simple paint and not the stuff they used to coat the slide and front sight... The acetone free nail polish remover I requisitioned from my sister and used ended up bubbling up the paint and did that (got rid of the paint faster than the glow in the dark crap). The funny thing is, its somewhat easier to line up the sights like this, lol.

That being said, I'd like to fix this ugly mess and stick with white dot sights so I might as well take this opportunity to redo the entire slide along with the sights and replace the crappy coating WE put on it (though I'll probably repaint it black in the meantime).

Has anyone redone a slide before? I'm thinking about maybe using cerakote or duracoat but I have no idea how to go about that or whether it's doable with the mystery pot metal airsoft slides are made of... Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

On the bright side, this gives me another excuse to pick up an M&P from VFC or TM, lol.

Last edited by beta678; June 30th, 2014 at 03:42..
beta678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 04:13   #2
Red Dot
Google level: BOSS

I knocked out a Nitesiter dot that I had in my WE M&Pc twice now. I feel your pain.

I was going to try this... https://www.glonation.com/glow-in-th...low-paint.html, the yellow looks like it would work well in daylight and darkness. But for a $6 USD bottle they wanted $25 USD shipping, hommie don't play with those charges no sir bob.
Red Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 04:24   #3
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

Oh I don't foresee a need for glow sights, I'll probably find some enamel or reflective white paint and just fill those dots in with that. That and most of the glow paint/glow sights available on the market is crap or gimmickly (even the real steel stuff). If you want something that glows bright for a couple of hours, look for for a high end watch lume kit, its the stuff they put on watch hands. Though they're pricey if you get the real stuff (ie the lume on rolex watch hands) and not the cheap crap that's pretty much just glow paint.
Old July 16th, 2014, 06:23   #4
Lone_Bullet.be

can you not drill-clean the holes and de-grease them?
just deepen the holes a fraction of a mm so the paint/coating is gone.
Another option is the GunsmithModify Tritium sight, but they're expensive.
Lone_Bullet.be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2014, 06:52   #5
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

Oh, totally forgot about this thread.

I ended up completely refinishing the front and rear sights and the dots after that, looks better than before and the dots are actually usable compared to the oem dots. Went with a bright yellow/green instead of white after talking to one of the guys at Milsig.

Old July 16th, 2014, 07:59   #6
siggypoo

That's nice. I'm about to receive an M&P Little Bird from ASC. I may try this if I'm not happy with the sights.
Old July 16th, 2014, 13:44   #7
Wli

What brand of paint did you end up using for the sights?
Wli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2014, 14:45   #8
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggypoo View Post
That's nice. I'm about to receive an M&P Little Bird from ASC. I may try this if I'm not happy with the sights.
Its a definite improvement IMHO. I've actually got a quick comparison for ya. Thinking about doing a write up for it if I have time.

From left to right, stock glow dots in light, glow dots slightly charged in shade, and the redone dots in light. Lighting conditions are slightly different but the dots are more pronounced in person than in the pic, more so under bright sunlight.

Paint used was a couple of thin coats Krylon camo and just some Testors model paint I picked up at a hobby store for the dots. I had the Krylon chip on me when I went to reinstall the front sight so I had to redo that a couple of times but after a bit of trial and error on cure time and methods it turned out fine. I've left it alone for about a week now to let the Krylon fully harden. Its advertised as chip free after 7 days but time will tell. Looks great at the moment though.
Old July 16th, 2014, 15:56   #9
Kilohotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta678 View Post
Its a definite improvement IMHO. I've actually got a quick comparison for ya. Thinking about doing a write up for it if I have time.

From left to right, stock glow dots in light, glow dots slightly charged in shade, and the redone dots in light. Lighting conditions are slightly different but the dots are more pronounced in person than in the pic, more so under bright sunlight.

Paint used was a couple of thin coats Krylon camo and just some Testors model paint I picked up at a hobby store for the dots. I had the Krylon chip on me when I went to reinstall the front sight so I had to redo that a couple of times but after a bit of trial and error on cure time and methods it turned out fine. I've left it alone for about a week now to let the Krylon fully harden. Its advertised as chip free after 7 days but time will tell. Looks great at the moment though.
I like the refinished look!

Also, what's your experience with the WE M&P so far? Accurate? Externals good? Feels balanced or front heavy?
Kilohotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2014, 16:08   #10
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilohotel View Post

Also, what's your experience with the WE M&P so far? Accurate? Externals good? Feels balanced or front heavy?
Hijack: Brought the one I have for sale to a buddy of mine to compare his.. Can't compare stock vs stock too much but put this out anyways.

"WE feels a little thinner around the grip, kind of like a Gen 2 frame on a glock."

VFC has real trades." Kick is harder then the stock WE". He has the Ace1 set, so doubt it's too comparable.

VFC Mag is noticeable larger then the WE, and they are not interchangeable

VFC also has full auto option, shoots very crisp and responsive.

WE with Ace1 SAI is sweet, crisp and very responsive, and light. Bit heavy on the front I found though (with mag out)

Last edited by BioRage; July 16th, 2014 at 16:16..
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2014, 18:39   #11
Kilohotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioRage View Post
Hijack: Brought the one I have for sale to a buddy of mine to compare his.. Can't compare stock vs stock too much but put this out anyways.

"WE feels a little thinner around the grip, kind of like a Gen 2 frame on a glock."

VFC has real trades." Kick is harder then the stock WE". He has the Ace1 set, so doubt it's too comparable.

VFC Mag is noticeable larger then the WE, and they are not interchangeable

VFC also has full auto option, shoots very crisp and responsive.

WE with Ace1 SAI is sweet, crisp and very responsive, and light. Bit heavy on the front I found though (with mag out)

Holy batman that SAI M&P is insane.

How's the accuracy on the WE?
Old July 16th, 2014, 21:57   #12
Kungpow

I heard that the early WE M&Ps had hopup issues....
Kungpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2014, 22:25   #13
Red Dot
Google level: BOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kungpow View Post
They do, they are not adjustable without loosening the hop-up housing or modifying a part of the lever that pushes on the bucking. YouTube has a video showing how to modify it but I just kept mine as is and it's been fine.

Btw, love the refinished sights... I got some of the day-glow paint coming soon but I may refinish them first like you did.
Red Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2014, 23:35   #14
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilohotel View Post

Personally, I love the M&P's design. It's one of the most comfortable and well balanced handguns I've held, real steel and airsoft. I run it with the large backstrap but with that being said, if you have smaller hands you might prefer something akin to a glock or a 1911, as Biorage can attest to :P

Its accurate at 25ft, I haven't really tested it beyond that distance yet but I intend to find out how well it shoots and tune it some more for accuracy and performance later down the road.

Externals are alright, its typical WE quality so not that great when compared with the VFC, but there are a number of external upgrades available for the WE now. I've been tempted to get a SAI slide or a NOVA slide, but honestly the stock slide is fine for skirmishing/day games and I don't have to worry about holster wear or dings and scratches vs. running one of the other slides. I'll probably replace it at some point though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kungpow View Post
The WE M&P's do have hop up issues, I've tried replacing the hop up arm and wheel with the compact's as it was a potential fix but to no avail. That being said, once you dial the hop up in, its not going anywhere, so it might be a good thing.

Another issue with some of the M&P's are dead triggers & full auto bursts due to the sear failing to catch the hammer. There's a quick fix for this via minor filing of the sear (credit to the guys over on the Overhopper's blog for posting that up), but I intend to replace both the hop up assembly and the sear with aftermarket parts when they become available.

I've got mine running very smoothly at the moment though, haven't had any of the posted issues after going in and fine tuning various aspects of the gun. That being said, I may see if I can get the new hop up assembly and sear from WE and see if there are any changes that would fix the issues via drop in parts. I've also seen some WE M&P's with oem blue tightbore barrels, trying to get my hands on one of those if possible for testing and evaluation.

Between the WE & VFC, I'd recommend picking up a VFC at the moment. I'd get another M&P from VFC if I didn't just spend a shitload of $$ on parts and various gear for my primary. Biorage has his brand new VFC for sale; they're relatively hard to find compared to the WE's so its a good deal if you're looking for a solid M&P.

That being said, Tokyo Marui will be releasing an M&P... but its going to be another long wait for that.

Last edited by beta678; July 16th, 2014 at 23:38..
beta678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 09:24   #15
Kilohotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta678 View Post
Personally, I love the M&P's design. It's one of the most comfortable and well balanced handguns I've held, real steel and airsoft. I run it with the large backstrap but with that being said, if you have smaller hands you might prefer something akin to a glock or a 1911, as Biorage can attest to :P

Its accurate at 25ft, I haven't really tested it beyond that distance yet but I intend to find out how well it shoots and tune it some more for accuracy and performance later down the road.

Externals are alright, its typical WE quality so not that great when compared with the VFC, but there are a number of external upgrades available for the WE now. I've been tempted to get a SAI slide or a NOVA slide, but honestly the stock slide is fine for skirmishing/day games and I don't have to worry about holster wear or dings and scratches vs. running one of the other slides. I'll probably replace it at some point though.

The WE M&P's do have hop up issues, I've tried replacing the hop up arm and wheel with the compact's as it was a potential fix but to no avail. That being said, once you dial the hop up in, its not going anywhere, so it might be a good thing.

Another issue with some of the M&P's are dead triggers & full auto bursts due to the sear failing to catch the hammer. There's a quick fix for this via minor filing of the sear (credit to the guys over on the Overhopper's blog for posting that up), but I intend to replace both the hop up assembly and the sear with aftermarket parts when they become available.

I've got mine running very smoothly at the moment though, haven't had any of the posted issues after going in and fine tuning various aspects of the gun. That being said, I may see if I can get the new hop up assembly and sear from WE and see if there are any changes that would fix the issues via drop in parts. I've also seen some WE M&P's with oem blue tightbore barrels, trying to get my hands on one of those if possible for testing and evaluation.

Between the WE & VFC, I'd recommend picking up a VFC at the moment. I'd get another M&P from VFC if I didn't just spend a shitload of $$ on parts and various gear for my primary. Biorage has his brand new VFC for sale; they're relatively hard to find compared to the WE's so its a good deal if you're looking for a solid M&P.

That being said, Tokyo Marui will be releasing an M&P... but its going to be another long wait for that.
The VFC does look very good, but i'm already planning of getting a SAI tier 1 slide upgrade and haven't seen any for the VFC... unless they are compatible, which i doubt
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications