Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

FETs for Type 97

:

Doctor's Corner

Old February 23rd, 2014, 03:50   #1
JLiang

Send a message via Skype™ to JLiang
FETs for Type 97

So I'm looking at getting a FET installed into my Type 97 before I up a notch and sauce an 11.1V in there.

The thing is, my measurements seem to indicate that a Gate NanoSSR won't fit. That would mean getting a PicoSSR, but the wiring scheme for that requires it to be close to the trigger, and with the Type 97 being a bullpup, complicated shit ensues.

Has anyone tried putting a NanoSSR into a Type 97? I think the two choices I would prefer are the Nano and PicoSSR models, since I don't like Active Braking nor do I want to spend too too much on a unit.

Thanks!
"-----------\_*_\
JLiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 12:45   #2
SuperCriollo

A mosfet is a great idea for a type 97 because A. the contacts are proprietary and B. the way they are designed generates a ton of arching. I'm running one of those old Gate non-AB Nano mosfets in my Type 97b and there's plenty of room for it to fit around the outer barrel. I don't think you'll need a pico at all.

SuperCriollo
SuperCriollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 13:54   #3
camerashot

I was running a cheetah 2n fet in my type 97 before i installed the polarstar in the gun.

It fit and worked great! not sure if any different in size to the gate nano ssr
camerashot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 18:21   #4
JLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerashot View Post
I was running a cheetah 2n fet in my type 97 before i installed the polarstar in the gun.

It fit and worked great! not sure if any different in size to the gate nano ssr
The Cheetah looks a bit bigger than the Nano so that's a good sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCriollo View Post
A mosfet is a great idea for a type 97 because A. the contacts are proprietary and B. the way they are designed generates a ton of arching. I'm running one of those old Gate non-AB Nano mosfets in my Type 97b and there's plenty of room for it to fit around the outer barrel. I don't think you'll need a pico at all.
That's awesome. I was looking at the wiring guides and it seemed like it would be really inconvenient but I'll work around it.

Thanks to you both!
"-----------\_*_\
Old February 23rd, 2014, 21:09   #5
ccyg8774

I have a fairly small (still bigger than Pico SSR) MOSFET in my 97, but to me it looks like there are plenty of space for a MOSFET, even a large one...

The battery space is limited, but There are so many places you can fit a MOSFET inside the handguard. If your battery took most of the space in handguard in the receiver end, you can extend the wire for few cms (try get wire of correct length, rather than solder a "extension" wire on) and put the MOSFET on the far end (muzzle end) of the handguard, around the outer barrel. It was mostly wasted space there, should fit about anything.

Last edited by ccyg8774; February 23rd, 2014 at 21:26..
ccyg8774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 21:10   #6
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

the cheetah 2n is HUGE compared to the nano ssr.

In case you need to see the pico being ridiculously small again... here it is in a teammate's gun.

going to try it out there for now.

Feeds fine, shoots 395.. bolt works and releases.. just have to pull it apart again cause the safety mysteriously stoppped working... but you get the idea of how small it is. If you don't have that kind of space... then you're kinda screwed. lol
Old February 23rd, 2014, 21:18   #7
JLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccyg8774 View Post
If your battery took most of the space in handguard in the receiver end, you can extend the wire for few cms and put the MOSFET on the far end (muzzle end) of the handguard, mostly wasted space there, should fit about anything.
I was thinking about that with the NanoSSR, but then wouldn't the resistance you lose be moot considering the huge lengths of wires needed to put it there?
"-----------\_*_\
Old February 23rd, 2014, 21:23   #8
ccyg8774

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLiang View Post
I was thinking about that with the NanoSSR, but then wouldn't the resistance you lose be moot considering the huge lengths of wires needed to put it there?
There are two types of wire when using a MOSFET:
Signal wire (thin): They don't pass large current, and resistance don't matters unless you get huge resistance (unlike to happen if done peoperly and within reasonable length).
Power wire (thick):Use good 16g wire, and no unnecessary soldering joint (wire cut to correct length, do not solder extension wires on wire), the increase on resistance is negligible for that small length.

Last edited by ccyg8774; February 23rd, 2014 at 21:29..
ccyg8774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 22:32   #9
SuperCriollo

Actually if you soder the signal wires to the contacts the distance from the battery and fet to the motor is minimal. Thats how I run my 97B, again extremely easy. There is more than plenty of room for the wires which can run under the rear piece of the carry handle. Only thing you gotta make sure is that the placement doesnt interfere with the trigger bar, but thats not difficult at all. Mind you, my fet is the one without the deans directly attached, not sure if that makes it more flexible or not.

Overall installing the whole thing was far easier than in my M4.

SuperCriollo
SuperCriollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 22:39   #10
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

the only thing to be concerned about is the signal wire being a bit too easy to cut/chafe or scrape. The insulation comes off it very easily.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 22:45   #11
JLiang

Awesome.

Thanks everyone!
"-----------\_*_\
Old February 23rd, 2014, 22:57   #12
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

don't be shy with shrink tube if you have the room.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 23:08   #13
T-Hell

I had a trigger master in mine (Before I went Polarstar) I hat it in the front hand guard (Amos Installed it) any who I took it out (and am selling it ) and the mech box

Rhino Living

http://www.nordicbattlegroup.ca
T-Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner