:

Tactics, Techniques and Procedures

Old July 17th, 2009, 15:26   #16
Lakonian
kos

Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post
My testing:

My eyes hurt after the last time when some asshole shone his green laser in my eyes.

Fact #1: I did not go blind
Fact #2: The effect was temporary
Fact #3: I would have puched the f*cker in the face if I could have found him...all I could see were spots.

Conclusions:
- Lasers (weak/strong/etc....) in the hands of retards are a bad thing.
- You cannot have an open and public game while maintaining a high level of trust of good judgement between every player.
Besides, accidents happen. Sometimes people can just walk into it unknowingly.. (IE, LCD projectors and it's ensuing seizure).

Lights and lasers should only be used when a high level of professionalism is maintained, and consistent in the participating players.

Just my HO.
Lakonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 15:34   #17
shadow_matter

Send a message via MSN to shadow_matter
Keeping with the 'okay in the hands of a trusted and professional player' idea.
A game host could impose a certification for using a laser; much the same as the different BA certifications for shooting at high FPS. Run safety courses and certify players that show competitent and safe usage. Whoever doesn't have certification cannot bring them onto the field in any capacity. That way you can still allow the low-powered lasers with a degree of confidence and safety while locking out irresponsible and/or newbie players from use.

"I play airsoft, yes yes..."

Last edited by shadow_matter; July 17th, 2009 at 15:36..
shadow_matter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 15:40   #18
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

This should NOT be a debate on allowing lasers.

This is the "tactical thread".

If you do post tactics and procedures regarding lasers, it's for the reader to keep in mind that laser restrictions are in effect and these tactics and precedures are only for discussions and information purpose.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 15:54   #19
safx

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOX_111 View Post
This should NOT be a debate on allowing lasers.

This is the "tactical thread".

If you do post tactics and procedures regarding lasers, it's for the reader to keep in mind that laser restrictions are in effect and these tactics and precedures are only for discussions and information purpose.

Why not?

Maybe we as a community need to
assess the overall "safe" use of lasers
before we share tactics on something
that could blind a person.

Any tactic or device used in airsoft
should not be harmful to 100% of
the players should one of them be
unlucky enough.

Furthermore, this discussion may
enlighten new or unaware players
of laser danger, preventative info.
Old July 17th, 2009, 16:00   #20
tunabreath

I made a post about this on EAR a little while ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunabreath
Hey guys, I just wanted to make a note here.

With more night games being played recently and more and more lasers being brought onto the field, there have been a good number instances of players getting lased in the eyes. Now, I don't believe anything serious has occurred yet, but regardless, it's not a very pleasant experience for the person being lased.

That said, I don't want to see lasers banned or anything like that. They are quite tactically useful and the risk is easily controlled. The majority of people I've seen using lasers are already being very careful with them. As with anything, accidents are still going to happen, but please use some common sense to minimize the risk to players down range:

Co-witness your laser to your sights
-know where you're pointing your laser before activating it

If you are designating a target behind cover, lase the COVER and not the PLAYER
-there's simply no reason to lase the player directly
-communicate where on the cover they are and leave it at that
-especially behind cover, the targeted player will likely only have their head sticking out and are more likely to take it in the eyes if you try to point at them
-avoid lasing into windows/etc where players will pop out - below the window where they are is sufficient, as well as not alerting the target that you are watching them
-if you are lasing into the cover as a deterrent, aim away from where they will pop out

If you are designating a target not behind cover, aim low/to the side before activating the laser
-if the target is out of cover, your teammates shouldn't have a problem seeing them anyways, so you don't need to lase them directly

If you are using your laser for reflexive shooting, keep your weapon low, activate the laser, then bring it up to the target
-at the ranges where this is useful, you should be aiming low anyways to avoid face shots

Sorry for that little spiel. I definitely don't want to see lasers removed from the game (even high powered ones). I'm actually considering a purchase myself at the moment. These things should just be common sense. The fewer accidents we have, the better.
But yes, as long as the ratings of the lasers was limited and controlled by the game admins, there shouldn't be a serious safety concern.
Old July 17th, 2009, 16:50   #21
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

Quote:
Originally Posted by safx View Post
Why not?

Maybe we as a community need to
assess the overall "safe" use of lasers
before we share tactics on something
that could blind a person.

Any tactic or device used in airsoft
should not be harmful to 100% of
the players should one of them be
unlucky enough.

Furthermore, this discussion may
enlighten new or unaware players
of laser danger, preventative info.
Because it has been discussed in lenght before. I know, I helped to start it, since I'm one of the victim of laser and still bare the ocular scar.

This should not turn into a general section or off topic IMO.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 23:46   #22
pilotguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post
Got to go with no here...teeth can be fixed, skin can heal...you don't mess with eyes.

Most of the risk comes from the players...a very small portion of the player base is properly trained and practiced with a laser (practicing at home in your bedroom does not count). Reflected energy, accidental flagging...etc...

Even seasoned guys make mistakes. Accidents happen. Asshole guys purposely shine it in your eyes...because it DOES blind you (temporary or not).

Lasers in a combat engagement are just fine....you're in a direct conflict at the highest levels. Eye damage is acceptable.

Airsoft is a game, we're playing pretend. (playing hard and going balls out...but still it's just a game)

I like my eyes...want to use them for a good long time to come.
+1 to that!
pilotguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 04:44   #23
Con Murder

The greatest use of a laser for me is in the directing of units. Not once have I had time to tag the player as I am shooting, the intensity! Its overwhelming! And I don't bunker down so I can watch the dude behind shit wreck my teammates while I flash my laser around. Thats why we don't use them, yes safety is a great reason as a bottom line, but at the private games we play its because nerds will sit and nerd out on gadgets.
Con Murder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 11:13   #24
Oborous

I requested this sub-forum to be created for the discussion of TTP's, not gear and the safety of that gear. This is more to be the safe and effective use of the tools, rather than the tools themselves (we have a gear section)

I believe that modern red dots and holosights have rendered lasers on longarms less effective than 15 or 20 years ago. The concept of designating where a target is to draw attention of your team mates is very useful. I would have loved something like that yesterday.
Oborous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 11:25   #25
wildcard

Send a message via MSN to wildcard Send a message via Yahoo to wildcard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oborous View Post
I requested this sub-forum to be created for the discussion of TTP's, not gear and the safety of that gear. This is more to be the safe and effective use of the tools, rather than the tools themselves (we have a gear section)

I believe that modern red dots and holosights have rendered lasers on longarms less effective than 15 or 20 years ago. The concept of designating where a target is to draw attention of your team mates is very useful. I would have loved something like that yesterday.
I've switch over from lasers to holosights years ago i find that they are better for my own targeting, plus they don't attract attention as in a sudden burst of bb's in my area when i used them.

The downside of using lasers aside from possible dangers to other players is that they tend to reveal your position no matter how brief you use them.
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 12:08   #26
Oborous

I'm a big fan of tape/pressure switches, keeping my weak hand on my primary while still being able to utilize my tools. I would love to have a laser as a designation tool (not a aiming tool). Any suggestions on placement of the 2nd tape switch that still keeps good grip on my primary?

I run weak hand on foregrip, no VFG, am looking at the KAC fingerstop rather than a grip as indexing tool (i.e. more of a KAC style than a magpul style).

Oborous
Oborous is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures