Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

007 Airsoft SRC H&k 416

:

Reviews

Old February 29th, 2012, 21:43   #16
punkUser

Just wanted to chime in that I've been gaming exactly the same gun (SRC Gen3 Pro HK416) for the past 6 months or so and I've had no real issues. Only changes I made were the spring (M120) and very recently I switched to deans. I use a 9.6 NiMH nunchuck since it works great and I didn't find the minor advantage of a lipo to be worth the associated care/hassle.

I've put many thousands of rounds through this thing over that time (we play ~2x a month) - at least 10k if not more - and never had an issue.

Now maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe you're just unlucky Given that the components in the gear box seem decent if not above average, I'd be curious exactly what the diagnosis was for what went wrong with your gun. You mentioned the piston; did it crack or strip or something?

I haven't used a ton of different brands of guns and parts (I have a classic army G36C in addition to the SRC HK416) so I certainly won't claim to defend any brand over another, but given the selection bias of forums it's usually good to present both sides

I'll also add that Ken has been great to speak with and buy from; as his post above demonstrates, he stands behind the stuff he sells.

Last edited by punkUser; February 29th, 2012 at 21:47..
punkUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 22:03   #17
QKLee11

read what was put into the gun by turok...motor, piston (which was chewed to shit) etc.
QKLee11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 23:25   #18
Swattiger

The higher than usual rate of getting a lemon is a result of inconsistent QC procedure, which is pretty common amongst the low end brands.

But this usually compensated by its lower price, too bad that such rule does not apply to this case.
Swattiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 01:21   #19
punkUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by QKLee11 View Post
read what was put into the gun by turok...motor, piston (which was chewed to shit) etc.
Sure, I was just curious what in particular happened. Did your piston not have half-metal teeth (pretty sure mine does - and I'm assuming yours is the Gen3 Pro model from the price as well) or was the metal itself chewed? Did your motor just literally stop working after 800 rounds?

Anyways certainly could be QC if there seem to just be random lemons in there, but given Ken's offer to replace factory defects, lemons shouldn't really be a huge concern. I'm more interested in what might be uniform weak-points in the design or components of SRC gearboxes, so I'd be interested if there tends to be a pattern of which components break and why.

Last edited by punkUser; March 1st, 2012 at 01:24..
Old March 1st, 2012, 02:10   #20
Gunny_McSmith
a.k.a. Palucol

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkUser View Post
Just wanted to chime in that I've been gaming exactly the same gun (SRC Gen3 Pro HK416) for the past 6 months or so and I've had no real issues. Only changes I made were the spring (M120) and very recently I switched to deans. I use a 9.6 NiMH nunchuck since it works great and I didn't find the minor advantage of a lipo to be worth the associated care/hassle.

I've put many thousands of rounds through this thing over that time (we play ~2x a month) - at least 10k if not more - and never had an issue.

Now maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe you're just unlucky Given that the components in the gear box seem decent if not above average, I'd be curious exactly what the diagnosis was for what went wrong with your gun. You mentioned the piston; did it crack or strip or something?

I haven't used a ton of different brands of guns and parts (I have a classic army G36C in addition to the SRC HK416) so I certainly won't claim to defend any brand over another, but given the selection bias of forums it's usually good to present both sides

I'll also add that Ken has been great to speak with and buy from; as his post above demonstrates, he stands behind the stuff he sells.
Totally agree!

I had one of there pre-gen3 pre-production hk416 back in 2009-2010, and mine never had any problems! gamed it a few times, many thousand rounds through it, no problem at all.... (only had to change hopup rubber, and the switch assembly (which was slightly off spec)) Other than that the internal were really well made and seemed durable...

But the guy I sold it to, started modifying everything inside the mechbox, and kept started experiencing tons of problems, that I didnt have....
Old March 1st, 2012, 04:13   #21
KenC

Send a message via MSN to KenC
For those of you who think you have a factory defect SRC product, we will fix it for free, or replace it for free once the problem is verified. If you don't tell us though, we can't deal with it for you. So please contact me if you think this is the case for your product.

In an ideal world, all the parts made by different manufacturers should be 100% compatible with TM parts (and therefore to each other). But in reality parts from different manufacturers WILL have incompatibility issue. Therefore we will always suggest putting OEM parts into your guns, to minimize the chance of this problem.

To Quentin

Although it has been over 13 months since your purchase of this HK416 Gen III Pro, after talking with SRC again, they are willing to replace your gun for free. Now I call that customer service.

They would like to get the original parts back for investigation though, to see what exactly went wrong. As they have already sent you a brand new SRC Gen III Pro gear box free of charge last September, which should have fixed the problem completely. They are very curious as to why things went the way they did. And they are surprised that you didn't post your review until after more than a year of the original purchase.

One of the reasons why things could go wrong is if the parts from other brands you put in aren't 100% compatible with the SRC branded parts. Things could easily spiral downhill if you have parts incompatibility (like using a half teeth piston with the SRC hyper torque gear set, which require a full teeth piston, or like using a motor pinion gear where the teeth are cut at a different angle compared to the SRC Steel CNC reinforced motor pinion gear you get with your Gen III PRO HK 416).

The piston in all SRC Gen III PRO guns are the red color Strength piston. Contrary to what you said, it is not made of Nylon. The SRC Strength piston with extra wide 6 steel alloy teeth and the rest of the teeth polycarb with reinforcement sidewall is actually one of the best in the business. Polycarb body does not mean cheap material, as I'm sure you know that it provides a strong enough yet super light weight piston body, shortening cycle time and lessening initial cycle inertia . Any knowledgeable gunsmiths will let you know the part of the piston that need to be strong are the teeth, more so than the body.

Anyhow once again, in order to make sure they have you as a happy customer, SRC has let me know to replace your gun for free. Please contact me at sales@007airsoft.com so we can work out the details.

Last edited by KenC; March 1st, 2012 at 15:08..
KenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 04:55   #22
KenC

to Wantabe_Warrior

What went wrong with your gear box to lead your friend conclude its "toasted"? If it went wrong within the first 15 shots, have you thought about contacting us for warranty work or replacement?

Were you aware of the manufacturer defect guarantee from 007 Airsoft upon your purchase? Even if you have purchased your SRC products from other resellers, you are still entitled to warranty work and support directly from 007 Airsoft. Did the retailer let you know?

Ken

Last edited by KenC; March 1st, 2012 at 05:01..
Old March 1st, 2012, 05:57   #23
QKLee11

Src h&k 416

Ken I already spen t 190 dollars getting fixed 2ndly the piston that was in it was green in colour and not red and it litterlly chewed to pieces, the top pinion of your motor was burrred and no good and is junk now...the review if u remember I told you was going to do after a year on its performance (as well as any AEG / GBBR product that I bought the past year), how can anyone do a review on something they bought until they used it, I for one called you and emailed you about the motor heating up and it you told me it wasn t a problem, the replace mech box would not allow the motor to engage gears, as I said I have only fired 800 bbs through it, the product was junk and failed to work effectively for me since I have had it. It has been fixed by Toronto Airsoft...at this point in time I don't care what SRC thinks, the dud parts along garbaged...if your offers stays the same you can PM if not Ken I couldn't care less...this was a head ache period and an on going problem...as for punk user (I checked your file) I notice u had only 9 posts and their about src products...the gun was not worth the money I paid and if SRC as will replace the AEG, it should of back in Sept when I contacted you not now. Face it you were called by me and contacted by me when I had problems do I need to post the e mails on my hotmail account. What I have posted and was has happened to the gun. It was a dud period.
Old March 1st, 2012, 08:44   #24
Swattiger

It is great that 007 stands out to offer their support of the product !

I often go back and forth from Canada and Asia, and I use quite a few SRC's products in Asia for games.

With their "correct price level" in Asia, I do not have complain as it is obviously aimed at the more budget users, and don't mind to fix a few things after some brief use.

My point is: It is totally the retailers' right to set the price which could generate them a good profit; but on the other hand, the price should also be able to reflect the true quality and value of the product. This would minimize some unnecesary customers' complaint at a later stage.
Swattiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 15:13   #25
KenC

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swattiger View Post

My point is: It is totally the retailers' right to set the price which could generate them a good profit; but on the other hand, the price should also be able to reflect the true quality and value of the product. This would minimize some unnecesary customers' complaint at a later stage.
I agree with you on this.

As you might already know the SRC guns that are hugely popular in Asia the USA (some rebranded into TSD) are mostly Gen I and Gen II's, their budget line of products.

Were you referring to the Gen I, Gen II, Gen III or Gen III Pro? As you know SRC makes different grades of products and 007 mostly carry their top line which is Gen III. We also take the Gen III and add extra upgrades to make Gen III Pro exclusively for Canada (in order to make them shoot 430fps and be legal full metal, well, back then). For that, the price will be higher than the Gen I guns, obviously

Extra upgrade parts we put into the Gen III guns to make Gen III Pro are:

1) Hyper torque gear set (M150 rated)
2) Ultra Torque motor (M150 rated)
3) Strength Piston (M150 rated)
4) 6.03 super tightbore barrel
5) M140 spring

Quentin, thank you for your input again, and your call this morning. I will reflect your thoughts to SRC directly.

Ken

Last edited by KenC; March 1st, 2012 at 15:30..
Old March 1st, 2012, 18:03   #26
punkUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by QKLee11 View Post
as for punk user (I checked your file) I notice u had only 9 posts and their about src products...
... uhh... yes? Didn't I say in my initial reply that I got one of these recently and that I've only got two guns (one classic army)? Doesn't it make sense then that I'm interested in the relative strengths and weaknesses of the parts that they use in case I want to replace or keep an eye on them?

Your note about a green piston seems like we may not even be talking about the same gun... exactly which gun did you purchase? This is what the internals of my Gen3 Pro gearbox look like and as Ken notes, there is definitely a red piston with steel teeth: Link. As several people have noted, there is a massive difference between Gen 1/2 SRC guns and Gen 3 Pro even just in quality of components.

On paper, the components in an SRC Gen3 Pro gearbox don't seem massively overpriced. The KA gearbox at airsoftparts.ca is indeed cheaper, but it has lower-quality components, again *on paper*. Thus if these things are truly failing at a higher rate than they should (which is hard to establish on a forum), is it maybe because of the construction/assembly? Hence why I was curious what in particular had failed for you and whether it might be due to poor shimming, insufficient lube, bad component alignments, etc.

No offense was intended. I really thought relaying my experience and asking for more details was fairly harmless. No one is saying that you're lying about what happened to the gun or anything (and it sucks man, I feel your pain). We're just trying to understand whether there is some systemic issue or whether, like you said, it was just a dud.

Last edited by punkUser; March 1st, 2012 at 18:18..
Old March 1st, 2012, 18:18   #27
SultanOfShwing

I bought an SRC GEN III M16 two years ago and has never let me down. The stock externals were nice except for the tinted lower that cracked on game 1. Mechanically though it has been brilliant.

I think every brand has their lemons.
Old March 1st, 2012, 18:55   #28
KenC

I think Quentin's HK416 was one of the first ones we had, and it did come with a green piston. Since early 2011, however, all Gen III and Gen III PRO SRC guns come with the super nice Red piston.

Thank you for all those who also posted your good experience with SRC products. I'm sure you will understand that sh!t happens. What matters the most is what kind of support and service you will receive from the retailer or manufacturer, if this indeed happens to you.

re SultanOfShwing
In recognition of the recent lowering of required FPS to cause serious bodily harm, released from the CBSA on Feb 27/2012. It is now legal for me to sell you a SRC replacement metal lower body, if your M16 still has the M120 in it. Please contact for details. sales@007airsoft.com

Ken

Last edited by KenC; March 1st, 2012 at 18:57..
Old March 1st, 2012, 19:12   #29
punkUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenC View Post
Thank you for all those who also posted your good experience with SRC products. I'm sure you will understand that sh!t happens. What matters the most is what kind of support and service you will receive from the retailer or manufacturer, if this indeed happens to you.
Well said, and thanks for clearing up the difference in pistons.
Old March 1st, 2012, 20:38   #30
QKLee11

007 Airsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenC View Post
I think Quentin's HK416 was one of the first ones we had, and it did come with a green piston. Since early 2011, however, all Gen III and Gen III PRO SRC guns come with the super nice Red piston.

re SultanOfShwing
In recognition of the recent lowering of required FPS to cause serious bodily harm, released from the CBSA on Feb 27/2012. It is now legal for me to sell you a SRC replacement metal lower body, if your M16 still has the M120 in it. Please contact for details. sales@007airsoft.com

Ken
I had a chance to call Ken today and TOLD HIM I didn't want a free AEG. Just that my experience was negative with product breaking down. As good business Ken has offered me a $190 credit at 007 Airsoft on any products. I think this is very fair and I wasn't looking at getting a new gun. The AEG right now is Y 38 and register at Fort Drum on my Weapon Registration Card, so the SRC will be staying with me for a while. I talked to Ken the conversation was professional. Whether the product was lemon or not under Turok tutelage and hours of work the defects are now ironed out and it shooting effectively (600 bb's through it so far).

Ken sent an e mail and thought it was fair that I get at least $190 credit for what I had to pay to get the AEG fix. Once again Ken that is very fair and looking after a customer problem with the product because the end fits the means with a good resolution. Again as far as shipping the product and extra gear box it was done in less then a week.

077 AIRSOFT 2 THUMBS UP

Thank you

Q

Last edited by QKLee11; March 1st, 2012 at 22:57..
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews