Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

New memeber from Vancouver area looking for airsoft information

:

Newbie Tank

Old July 9th, 2010, 03:11   #1
Skytorn

New memeber from Vancouver area looking for airsoft information

Hey guys,

So I want to join Airsoft, since I decided that paintball is way too damned expensive. Well, mostly it's just because I want to own full-auto replicas of cool military firearms. Since I'm living in Vancouver I am nowhere near close (read: busing distance) to a decent Airsoft community, not to mention in this town it's difficult to find people who share an interest in guns. So, either way, I won't be actually playing the game much.

Whether these are good reasons for joining Airsoft is a discussion for another day.

What I want to ask is:

I read up on the legality debate surrounding airsoft, but based on the current import laws, it appears that retailers won't carry any airsoft guns that aren't translucent-plastic. I personally find it a bit unfair considering Canadian Tire carries boss-looking paintball guns RIGHT NEXT to the toy-like AEGs, but what are you gonna do.

Is it easy to get ahold of the non-translucent plastic AEGs? For example, I'm looking for the JLS FN2000, but this isn't a "wanted" ad. :P

I haven't gotten age-verified yet (and won't if the answer to the above is a "no"), obviously.

Thank you so much! I'm very sorry I don't have the patience to search for the answers. I figured just asking would be ok. If a veteran here would be nice enough to help out that would be wonderful.
Skytorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 03:16   #2
Blitzed

becoming age verified opens up the classifieds where you can buy from community members and retailers. As well some websites, like Mach1, allow you to purchase their full metal or 'full black' AEG's if you are age verified on these ASC forums. BTW, i've heard build quality is not that great on the JLs. There's another model of the FN2000 that is better build, just slipping my mind at the moment..
Blitzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 04:13   #3
juicy

Vancouver clubs = op-for, british columbia airsoft club (BCAC), fraser valley airsoft association (or something like that, FVAA). I play predominantly with Op-For. If you're of age (18 or older), you should come out sometime - it's a good way to see people's guns and gear and get an introduction to the game of airsoft. Rules are a little different if you're younger than that, though - but Op-For might be able to accommodate you.

If you can, get age verified. You can do that at most of the local club's games, actually. Speaking of clubs in the Lower Mainland, I'm sure that there might be one or so others that have slipped my mind. Anyway, sign up on those club forums and ask around for a ride. After you've been out once, finding rides to/from games becomes a bit easier.
juicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 06:34   #4
TCLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzed View Post
becoming age verified opens up the classifieds where you can buy from community members and retailers. As well some websites, like Mach1, allow you to purchase their full metal or 'full black' AEG's if you are age verified on these ASC forums. BTW, i've heard build quality is not that great on the JLs. There's another model of the FN2000 that is better build, just slipping my mind at the moment..
That other FN2000 is a G&G F2000.
They tend to only work with high caps, but G&G claims that there lowcaps work.
TCLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 16:40   #5
Dirtbag

Clubs

Just the 3 but none is bus distance of Vancouver
Dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 16:43   #6
Skytorn

Thanks guys for the info!

Since I'm more interested in getting several nice-looking guns for playing around with than one or two high-performance ones I'd rely on in the field (only 20, in grad school, basically in no shape to play the game regularly), my next question is one of economy.

Is it easy to get ahold of lower-end to midrange AEGs on the classifieds here? Again, let's use the JLS F2000 as a benchmark.

Most of the retailers advertising here on ASC seem to only carry high-end pieces, and certainly the G2000 recommended above isn't going for anything less than $400...http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=93431 doesn't list anything under $300 either.

Right now, for me, even $250 is pushing it. I know this is laughable for a serious airsoft player, but I don't think that title will fit me for a few years.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Saw the second post down on the "prices for guns" post. Screenshots, what dedication! Trawling that first, BRB.

EDIT AGAIN: Lots of G&G, CA, and TM...cheaper brands not so much. Are the lower end brands just considered "not worth the effort" by importers, I guess?

EDIT A THIRD TIME: Obviously uninterested in clearsoft, repainted or otherwise. This might seem counterintuitive, like asking for a rad sports car at the price of a Honda Civic...but if I don't ask I'll never know, right?

Last edited by Skytorn; July 9th, 2010 at 16:58..
Skytorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 17:27   #7
J-Man19

lol @ switching from paintball to airsoft because paintball is too expensive.
if you want black guns be prepared to pay. if the only reason you're looking to get a gun is to have it and be 'super badass' then you should reconsider buying a gun all together. If you're tight for money you should set your priorities a little different.
J-Man19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 17:42   #8
Thanh
AKA Tsquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzed View Post
How are they able to sell full metal bodies? didnt someone get arrested for doing this a while back?
Thanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 20:02   #9
Shatter

Send a message via MSN to Shatter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanh View Post
How are they able to sell full metal bodies? didnt someone get arrested for doing this a while back?
There's a thread in the Restricted Age of Majority section that explains it all.
Shatter is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank