Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

gear for newbie

:

Gear Discussion

Old January 29th, 2015, 21:31   #31
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

Send a message via MSN to beta678
Could also look into a MP7 as they're pretty small and compact; has an adjustable stock so it'd be pretty comfy for a smaller player.

Another option might be a P90, though i haven't handled one personally so I can't really comment on size relative to a kid. It's pretty compact and the higher rail mount would mean it's easier to look down optics with a full paintball mask. Should have a large batt compartment as well but mags might be a hassle.

Best bet is to bring them into a shop and get a feel for things.

Last edited by beta678; January 29th, 2015 at 21:34..
beta678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 21:40   #32
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

Mags are a problem with p90. The highcaps don't feed well and midcaps are huge. The alternative is the bastardized box mag
Old January 29th, 2015, 21:48   #33
Datawraith

I have never heard of a good AEG MP7... They're mostly GBBR's (and expensive ones! VFC and KWA).
P90's might feel a little too long and bulky for a younger player, due to it's design for a full grown man and (obviously) no adjustable stock to adjust for length.
I agree that having them see what feels the best would be good, but the practicality of it is getting (if they are going to run midcaps/realcaps) lots of different kinds of mags, and lots of different kinds of mag pouches. Of course, this is all a non-issue if you follow what some people say and just let them run with the high-cap the gun came with (most elegant solution, but if they want to get into the sport more, then logistics start kicking in).
If your kids don't mind running an M4 platform, I agree with what SuperCriollo suggested, even though it is an Ares. I've tried it out, and it's a neat little gun. Decent, but felt too small and light for me; might be perfect for them.
That's another thing; M4's almost always have a top rail to stick a RDS on top, so you don't have to use iron sights, or buy a rail kit. Getting a AK or MP5 series that will fit them properly and comes with a rail kit can be hard to find sometimes. Optics really help with target acquisition.
Datawraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 22:40   #34
BKSRT8

A rail is a must imo. Ive always used scopes....not a huge fan of red dots but in cqc it may be better. I personally like a mil-dot scope but im also used to shooting stuff much further away than people are going to be when playing airsoft.

I know there are kits to put scopes on ak's but for arguments sake lets just rule them out. Lack of adjustablity mainly, for my kids...fine for me but id rather not look like a terrorist when playing lol.

Mp5 is hard to get with rail, so i guess rule that out too. I know they should learn to shoot with iron sights but ill teach them that in a few years on a powderburner.

What about a secondary? Hand guns....i like them. I shoot VERY well with hand guns but i prefer a rifle even tho i probably shoot better with a hand gun. I have a tanfoglio witness bb gun. I love it. Ive always liked the 1911 platform. What else should i look for? I know the sig226 is pretty popular, glock platforms are popular. Revolvers are not my thing at all. Is a secondary even required or just nice to have
BKSRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 22:40   #35
BKSRT8

A rail is a must imo. Ive always used scopes....not a huge fan of red dots but in cqc it may be better. I personally like a mil-dot scope but im also used to shooting stuff much further away than people are going to be when playing airsoft.

I know there are kits to put scopes on ak's but for arguments sake lets just rule them out. Lack of adjustablity mainly, for my kids...fine for me but id rather not look like a terrorist when playing lol.

Mp5 is hard to get with rail, so i guess rule that out too. I know they should learn to shoot with iron sights but ill teach them that in a few years on a powderburner.

What about a secondary? Hand guns....i like them. I shoot VERY well with hand guns but i prefer a rifle even tho i probably shoot better with a hand gun. I have a tanfoglio witness bb gun. I love it. Ive always liked the 1911 platform. What else should i look for? I know the sig226 is pretty popular, glock platforms are popular. Revolvers are not my thing at all. Is a secondary even required or just nice to have
Old January 29th, 2015, 22:42   #36
BKSRT8

Sorry for the double post
Old January 29th, 2015, 22:45   #37
RainyEyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSRT8 View Post
Secondary pistols are open game. Go to an airsoft store and try holding one or two to get the feel of it. The airsoft versions of the real steel have varying weights and recoil (blow back) strengths depending on the brands. Most if not all guns will use CO2 or propane as the propellant, and this distinction will dictate the velocity of the projectile.

I personally use a PX4 that uses a lot of gas, but has a very nice kick. It's meant for bigger hands, however. If you want versatility, go with a glock. They have the most compatible parts out on the market, and they're abundantly easy to find.

A good gas blowback pistol will run anywhere from 200-300, with 1 magazine, and each individual magazine will cost around 30-50 dollars and up depending on the platform you choose and the brand.
RainyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 22:45   #38
BKSRT8

Does hobby king ship lipos now? I know there WAS an issue getting lipo batts across the border, perhaps thats been resolved?
Old January 29th, 2015, 22:47   #39
Datawraith

Handguns are nice to have, not necessary though unless you're running a full length rifle (which you're not).
From all the research I've done on handguns, TM is the route to go if you don't mind all plastic.
Otherwise...
KJW is known for their full metal pistols and 100% compatibility with TM. They are also known for their workhorse M9s, although their Sig P226's are quite good as well, except their knocker valve is known for breaking, so you'll have to buy a replacement for that.
KWA uses a good gas system, but guns and mags are expensive, as well as that they use mostly proprietary parts.
WE is meh. Used to have a bad rep, kinda still has the stigma, but supposedly has gotten better. (I personally have no idea)
I hate glocks, so I never researched a good manufacturer, sorry :P
Datawraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 22:59   #40
BKSRT8

I had a crosman t4 tactical which is a glock replica and hated it....it had a rail with a flashlight....it pissed me off....alot lol

Anyway, not gonna go glock...not likely anyway
Old January 29th, 2015, 23:10   #41
AnthonyG
LUser Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSRT8 View Post
Does hobby king ship lipos now? I know there WAS an issue getting lipo batts across the border, perhaps thats been resolved?
Got my lipos from the hobby king warehouse on the west coast.
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 23:20   #42
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

Send a message via MSN to beta678
Really wouldn't bother with secondaries until you get some games under your belt. As well as you can shoot with one, you'll often lack range when playing against everyone with an AEG, which means most of time they're just dead weight on your belt.

I've only ever needed to pull my secondary once all season last year and that was during a push on a defended position when my primary unexpectedly went dry (Forgot to top up that one gbb mag...), only used to to lay down some suppressive fire while I moved to cover to reload primary.

Actually sold my pistol a few weeks back because I rarely used it. Its nice to have but really not necessary when starting out.

Head out to some games, meet some people, check out what they're running gear and gun wise and maybe get a feel for some things. Most guys love to show off their stuff if you're polite about it.

As for hobbyking batteries... if you order from overseas they'll ship by sea... and it'll take ages. Not sure about US warehouse but would assume they'll just UPS or Fedex it, don't see any issues with lipo's sent via ground.

PS. You can get a nice claw rail mount for MP5's, they usually run $15-25 depending on which and where you get it.

Last edited by beta678; January 29th, 2015 at 23:23..
beta678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 23:28   #43
waylander

hobbyking asia will ship lipos but only via courier now.

Hand guns are ok but honestly, I've never pulled one at a field, only in cqb to clear small rooms where longer guns are a handicap. They are fun to plink at soda cans though

At the cost though, hand guns are probably the last part of your kit you're going to buy. Pretty much all the other gear has more priority, especially for outdoor.

My M4 CQB is only 1" longer than my MP5 from pistol grip to tip of flash hider. That's not going to make much difference with either of your kids.

Scopes are almost useless at the ranges we play at, you're probably only going to be accurate with a stock gun to 150' - 180' so having a 4x scope won't help much and that's on a perfectly calm day with no wind. I have a 1-4x on one of my guns but it's more for spotting than anything else.
waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 00:10   #44
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

pistols are fun on the field... but not as a primary weapon.

With some ridiculous hold over my tm 5-7 hit a guy at 70m, downhill from my position on the 3rd of 3 rounds I shot at him.. I couldn't believe it. :P shooting .3s at 260fps.
Old January 30th, 2015, 11:59   #45
BKSRT8

Well i guess its time to throw down some cash and get some gear then. Ill start with my primary and a chest rig. Hopefully, a bit of milspec camo as time goes on rather than my hunting gear lol

Does anybody play in winter outside? I know its not ideal but when IS combat ideal? Im wondering if winter camo is a good idea or just stick with summer colours?
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion