Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Sykes Face Mask Discussion

:

Gear Discussion

Old June 6th, 2008, 09:45   #76
Invasian
Likes it BOLD attention whore MAXIMUS!

Just an FYI, due to the fact that the included Baclava was very uncomfortable for me, I bought multi purpose foam from Canadian Tire ($10), and cut varying size pieces to custom fit the mask to my face, I placed the foam (which has tape on the other end) and put them inside on problem areas coming into contact with my skin, near the forehead some pieces just outside the nose area and wow....the comfort....I tried both the tinted goggles that came with it and Bolle Tactical goggles, and they both work perfectly, no issues, I just found that the rough interior was causing an allergic reaction to my skin...problem solved...looking forward to testing it out next month...

Last edited by Invasian; June 6th, 2008 at 09:47..
Invasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 22:09   #77
Ming_the_Merciless

I just recieved mine today. To add to the dicussion with what works with the mask:

Wiley X's CQC Goggles work with straps, but doesn't work with glasses setup, the distance between the nose and ear are too great. Helmet wise, good to go with the MICH and IBH. Communications, works fine with a ComTac or Selex.
Ming_the_Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 00:59   #78
Halo_Predator

Guys,

I've worked with molding and casting materials for awhiles now [I sculpt, mold, cast props/masks/helmets] and I'm a little surprised that the Sykes masks are causing you problems once in contact with your skin.

It either tells me that the resin used by the makers are not user friendly...OR the masks, are fiberglassed without 'sealing' off the fiberglass matting. That would be the cause of the irritation.

I would suggest you find out from the Manufacturers what sort of brand of resin was used to finish off the masks and if they did cover up/sealed the fiberglass matting on the inside. If it was resin, hit any of the casting stores in your area and look for a 'sealer' to cover the underside of the mask.

Cause, in actual, resin shouldn't do that to your skin unless you have very sensitive skin, or industrial resin, not meant for prop use was used. And if it was the fiberglass not 'sealed', then you'll be itching for days on end, even with a balaclava on.

Hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Tim.
"On CNN, while interviewing an anonymous US Special Forces soldier, a Reuters News agent asked the soldier what he felt when sniping members of Al Quaeda in Afghanistan. The soldier shrugged and replied, "Recoil."
Halo_Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:26   #79
MillerBRo

+1 to what Tim said (I sculpt and cast as well). Most resins and liquid plastics I work with now are safe for skin- Hell many are FDA approved to make food molds! But the ones that do cause allergic reactions are nasty ones that should NOT come in contact with skin ever. That goes double for fibreglass (for obvious reasons lol). If these masks have not been properly treated or sealed there is a whole list of health concerns so I would also recommend a sealant- even a quick spray with a Varethane would do I'd think.... lord knows it cant be worse than what fibreglass and the more harsh resins can do to human skin...
MillerBRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 14:55   #80
arman

hmmmm....thats interating stuff there... i dont have a reaction to ming but maby warshock can fill us in on what resin he used...

playing with my kid!
arman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 15:40   #81
Lakonian
kos

Yeah, mine's pretty bad. Definitely not sealed off.

I don't believe I'll be using mine in game, though.. So it really doesn't matter much.
Lakonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 22:06   #82
JPO375

dude im totally getting one!!!
JPO375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 02:26   #83
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPO375 View Post
dude im totally getting one!!!
Do it!!!!

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=58440
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 16:47   #84
Paradise

So i take it is cheaper to order from illusion rather then there web site? Also has any one tested out the goggles?

Last edited by Paradise; June 17th, 2008 at 16:50..
Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 16:59   #85
decoy

Face masks seem so impractical and .... hot! I made one from resin and also used one made from plastic...both are hot and constrictive...ended up taking it off after 5 minutes of play!
decoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 17:30   #86
DENZILDON

Are the AO2 masks being made by Sykes as well?
DENZILDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 09:07   #87
marino

Sir,

for clarification the Ao2 mask are made by the Dizon Brothers not by Sykes. The masks produced are sealed with rubber based paint. Prior to that they are soaked overnite to remove resin tackiness and odor.

An entirely different approach was used in the process.

Cheers!

Last edited by marino; June 20th, 2008 at 21:43.. Reason: correction
marino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 06:01   #88
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
So i take it is cheaper to order from illusion rather then there web site?
The price point is set so that it is cheaper for Canadians to purchase within Canada. Otherwise, it makes no sense in having a distribution point here.

There are no more goggles left in stock in Canada at the moment. I'm looking in to purchasing some more once I'm back in country.
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 04:59   #89
rockafella

New and Improved!! Sykes Masks Version 2 now available!

Just to let you guys know, Version 2 of these masks are now available. To address durability issues in past reviews, version 2's are now 2x as durable as the first version, also, for added comfort, a face conforming foam insert has been added to the entire inside of the mask for cushoning - no more direct skin contact with the resin material. Also for $65 all masks now come with balaclava and a pair of the low profile anti fog goggles. Also more colors availble. Talk to Illusion to get yours now!

These masks are awesome! Belive me sometimes I forget I am wearing it..that is until I get hit in the face by a hail of BB's!

Last edited by rockafella; September 11th, 2008 at 05:15..
rockafella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:05   #90
DENZILDON

What did happen to the AO2 masks?
DENZILDON is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion