Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Ares Tar 21 - (Add your reviews to this too)

:

Reviews

Old May 1st, 2010, 19:36   #61
HeadlessChicken

Thanks Saint for the quick response. I guess some of the Youtube reviews aren't the most accurate since some mention a pre-installed tightbore.
"Hey I'm the first one to say its a great country but its a straaaaange culture. This is a place where gun store owners are given a list of stolen credit cards but not a list of CRIMINALS and MANIACS. And now they're thinking of banning toy guns...AND THEY'RE GONNA KEEP THE F**KING REAL ONES!"
-George Carlin 1937 - 2008 (RIP buddy)
HeadlessChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 01:10   #62
spartan117

Does anyone know if there is a trigger problem with the Ares Tar21? I've seen some youtube videos regarding the problem.
spartan117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 02:22   #63
Amos

If you disassemble it and don't re-assemble it properly you can have trigger problems...

I've already had to go through one of these and open up the micro switch and clean it out (THAT was SUCH a pain in the ass...)
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 15:12   #64
spartan117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos View Post
If you disassemble it and don't re-assemble it properly you can have trigger problems...

I've already had to go through one of these and open up the micro switch and clean it out (THAT was SUCH a pain in the ass...)
Really? I've heard they had problems straight from factory. This is the only thing keeping form purchasing one of these tavors.

YouTube- ‪Ares TAVOR TAR21 trigger problem‬‎
spartan117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 13:50   #65
sushicake

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan117 View Post
Really? I've heard they had problems straight from factory. This is the only thing keeping form purchasing one of these tavors.

YouTube- ‪Ares TAVOR TAR21 trigger problem‬‎
Haven't had a problem with mines, its all due to the way it was designed. The "physical" trigger is pulling a rod, which in turn pulls a plate which turns a hammer shaped hook and causes the micro switch to engage making the motor spin. So you can see there is alot of areas for failure.
Old August 18th, 2010, 14:06   #66
ShelledPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushicake View Post
Haven't had a problem with mines, its all due to the way it was designed. The "physical" trigger is pulling a rod, which in turn pulls a plate which turns a hammer shaped hook and causes the micro switch to engage making the motor spin. So you can see there is alot of areas for failure.
If there is a micro switch, it makes you wonder why they didn't just wire it to behind the trigger...

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 20:39   #67
sushicake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelledPants View Post
If there is a micro switch, it makes you wonder why they didn't just wire it to behind the trigger...
I guess for realism? cause the RS Tavor also uses the rod system IIRC.
Old October 4th, 2010, 23:50   #68
Spike
Privateer Airsoft

bump, does anyone know if MAG mags feed properly in this gun?
Old October 27th, 2010, 03:15   #69
THe_Silencer

I was really interested in this gun until I actually handled it last weekend. Gun was as cool as I imagined and the Mars scope was about are bad as I've read. The real deal breaker for me was the mag release was too easy to engage unintentionally. I can not imagine a real firearm would have such a vital button be so easy to engage accidentally. This alone will keep me from picking one up.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle
-Founder of Steel City Hamilton Infantry and Tactics
-Certified level 43 Autosniper by Commander Amos
THe_Silencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 13:55   #70
Sentinel

Ok i trade my gbbr for a Ares TAVOR TAR-21 stantard version from Contractor 6-8. I must say that i'm pleased by the gun concept and features. Quick change spring is great let you swap spring in minutes.

I've owned many bullups since 2005, what i can say is that the Tavor is not the most manoeuvrable gun in the bullups section but it's certainly a contestor for toughness. I've owned many TM Augs and 2 TM Famas in the past. The Famas is still my favorite in CQB for cornering, lightweight and maoeuvrabitlity- cons is the weakness of plastic and stock spring and lack of aftermarket Ver.1 parts. Augs are great overall gun just like the TAVOR here.

BODY

The gun really feel sturdy and well made. It's probably the toughess polymer I ever seen on AEG. A temporary switch button at the side of the handguard, usually for the MARS Laser pointer, can easily be modded to fit an external light or laser if you don't have the MARS. Rails are solidly attached to the right side of front upper metal part. Iron sights are minimalistic but can serve you well as a backup sight. Acog or Eotech 553 or 552 would be optics i would suggest on the gun cause the upper rail is short and a bit obstruated by the rear iron sight. A RIS raiser could be used to raise the optics.

Yes, the mag release is too soft. I easily mod it by putting a part of an old AEG stock spring behind it and it's holding well. You only need 4 or 5 complete coils to get the job done depending on how stiff you want the mag catch to be.

The cockind handle feel nice and the ejection port doors will stay at the back. By pressing the release located behind the mag, it comes forward with a really nice sound.

sling the gun will not be that easy as it have only on big cylinder hole at the back. You sould attach a rope with a ring to be able to use it with a one point sling. There is also a sling attachment loop near the front middle area of the gun for a 2 points sling attachment but note that not every 2 points slings will work considering the shape of it.

Battery compartment is easy to get access, you just have to remove a pin. You can only use 8.4 or 9.6V minis or lipos considering the room you have for the battery.

Performance

300 fps out of the box with mid-high accuracy. Great ROF on 9.6V nimh, correct on 8.4V. The company specs announce 350-360 fps so i figured out something went wrong.

Mechanical.

I unassemble every single component of the gun and i must say that you have to nearly completely strip the gun down to pull the gearbox out. if you want to go further than removing the gearbox your gunsmithing skills will be challenged and you'll need a good set of drive puchs as well as slave pins to put the gun back together.

Theres 2 rod connecting to trigger and selector controls to the GB. pay attention to these rods as they are thin and can easily be bent. Be sure you unscrew the tiny allen screws on top of metal parts that retain them at the front end of them prior pulling the gearbox out.

The gearbox is not usual. Looking inside I was really disappointed. Clear-cheap plastic piston... Cheap lightweight gears... cylinder head was leaking a bit... nozzle was leaking air as hell. Very cheap hop-up rubber and fast made nub with unadjusted size.

Considering what I have on hand and don't want to spend alot of money on upgrades, here was my choices to gain my ~50 fps back. I would suggest to anyone who receives this gun to do so as it really improves performance unless you're not familiar with GB or don't have a wide variety of tools to help you out.

1- I Siliconed the cylinder head to seal it. Remove the excess and let it stay for 24h before shooting with it. It's a totally reversible solution if you wan't to change it in the future or if you wan't to redo the seal.

2- Change nozzle for a M4 -M16 compatible with o-ring. I used a Modify one

3- Change hop-up rubber and nub. (I used systema).

The gearbox is easy to time and seem well shimmed at starting point.

i will replace other parts only if they brake on me but let say i will leave it like that just for now.

After that you'll have a very decent gun competing with other mid to high end AEGs. Please note that it's the only AEG that I had in my hands wich everything can be inverted for lefties relatively easily (rails, selector, cocking handle, ejection port and deflector...ect). I would refer this gun to anyone.

Cheers!

Last edited by Sentinel; April 26th, 2011 at 17:33..
Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 14:02   #71
Pinard
formerly Contractor 6-8, CptPinard17eRAM

Great review ! hope you love it, accuracy was deadly !
I'd like to add something: when you want to store the gun, you can press on the ''bolt release'' to unload the spring.

If you don't understand I can try an other way to explain it
Old February 12th, 2011, 16:25   #72
Sentinel

yeah i forgot to tell about spring release

BTW your old gun is now painted OD!!! Don't like DE..
Old February 12th, 2011, 16:27   #73
Pinard
formerly Contractor 6-8, CptPinard17eRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
yeah i forgot to tell about spring release

BTW your old gun is now painted OD!!! Don't like DE..
what well...thats yours now :/ have a good time with it
Old February 12th, 2011, 16:37   #74
Sentinel

I'll post some pics in my review, i still have to fine tune something inside so i'll take some pics in the process
Old July 17th, 2013, 00:54   #75
Chalcus

Does anyone know where a replacement micro switch can be purchased? I had an accident with mine and the contacts melted out. Would like to get this AEG up and running.

Cheers.

Chalcus.
Chalcus is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews