Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

BB Bastard Silica .28g bb's

:

Reviews

Old November 1st, 2010, 05:16   #181
doc_pathfinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikedGhost View Post
I might be wrong, but I think after continuous use, they will degrade your tightbore much faster than normal BBBs. I was bummed out when I heard this since I was really looking forward to using them. Again I might be wrong about this and a lot more research on this subject should be done.
keep your barrel clean, particulates in the barrel + BB's will cause some degredation, regardless of the type of BB used.

clean BB's + Clean barrel = absolute minimum of wear. (i would almost say 'no wear' but i know the engineers of this board will point out the impossibility of that unless we've developed frictionless surfaces )

bear in mind that BB's don't normally touch the barrel wall (should ride in an 'envelope' of air)

-- Adolph Hitler, April 11 1942.

Adolph hitler supports gun control.. Do you?

Sic Semper Tyrannis.
doc_pathfinders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 11:29   #182
Boyso
a.k.a. LastSpartan

Send a message via MSN to Boyso
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikedGhost View Post
I spoke to someone that works a lot with metal and he told me that on some scale (depending on the surface) any kind of friction between glass and metal will put some "wear" on the metal since glass is harder than most metals. Also some grinding discs (for metal) are made with glass powder. I might be wrong, but I think after continuous use, they will degrade your tightbore much faster than normal BBBs. I was bummed out when I heard this since I was really looking forward to using them. Again I might be wrong about this and a lot more research on this subject should be done.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the BBs doesn't touch the barrel. The BB is surrounded by air.

"WHEN I DIE
BURY ME
UPSIDE DOWN
SO THE WORLD
CAN KISS MY ASS"
-Platoon

Boyso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 11:39   #183
Donster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSpartan View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the BBs doesn't touch the barrel. The BB is surrounded by air.
the bbs can bounce around the inner barrel. that is what systema made a 6.04mm inner barrel. its supposed to have the ideal amount of bounce/accuracy ratio.

there was a thread on it somewhere here.
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 12:38   #184
SpikedGhost

Check out the picture here: Tanio Koba Twist Barrel (For VSR) - Zero In : Airsoft Forums
It shows how the BB bounces inside the barrel going from left to right. Again, this is theoretical.
I think an easy enough way to check this would be with a microscope. Check the BB before it's shot and after (catch the BB with a net or something) and if there are tiny scratches on the BB after it was fired, most probably, it left tiny scratches in the barrel. And after 10 thousand shots, it will add up to a more or less ruined barrel.

Last edited by SpikedGhost; November 1st, 2010 at 12:48..
SpikedGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 13:10   #185
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackthorne
While I believe there is BB contact during firing, I think it would take allot more than 10000 rounds to wear the barrel to a point where there would a detectable performance change.

BB Bastard is going to be testing this theory soon. We have just settled on a testing method and are sourcing the barrels and cameras required.
Old November 1st, 2010, 14:55   #186
SpikedGhost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackthorne View Post
We have just settled on a testing method and are sourcing the barrels and cameras required.
Can't wait for the results. I'm really hoping they are positive and that I don't have to buy a new barrel every year. (Even then, I don't think it's going to stop me from using them)
Old November 1st, 2010, 15:01   #187
Kid

Be sure to test with barrels of different material, such as stock brass, aluminum (ex, Madbull), and stainless steel barrels.

Thanks for the testing!
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews