Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Your view of airsoft "gear"

:

General

Old April 12th, 2012, 15:23   #1
Fizzmix

Your view of airsoft "gear"

Hello,

I am extremely new to airsoft - I have yet to play a game. Here is my problem.
I enjoy the thought of myself and others shooting at each other to see who's aim/positioning/etc. is best. I enjoy competition.

What I DONT want to do is dress up in army fatigues, vests, etc. Nothing against people who like to dress up in all that gear, but it just isn't for me. I fully support safety gear, but just can't bring myself to purchase "army" gear to go airsofting.

Here's where I need your opinion. Is it reasonable to have a game with others if I have no intention to wear the "gear" associated with it? Is all the "gear" necessary to attempt to have serious games with others?

Please let me know what you think. Thanks.
Fizzmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 15:26   #2
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzmix View Post
Hello,

I enjoy the thought of myself and others shooting at each other to see who's aim/positioning/etc. is best. I enjoy competition.

What I DONT want to do is dress up in army fatigues, vests, etc. Nothing against people who like to dress up in all that gear, but it just isn't for me. I fully support safety gear, but just can't bring myself to purchase "army" gear to go airsofting.

Here's where I need your opinion. Is it reasonable to have a game with others if I have no intention to wear the "gear" associated with it? Is all the "gear" necessary to attempt to have serious games with others?

what will you use to carry your magazines in?

if you are playing in the woods... don't you think camouflage may be some help?

you can wear what you want.. but most people find that the gear comes in handy..
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 15:26   #3
ap27

I'm pretty sure the skirmish type games dont have any sort of requirements.
You can show up in jeans and a Tshirt if you want.

Whether you get other gear or not, ALWAYS get good quality eye protection and boots. Eye protection is mandatory, and the boots are really really worth it. Paintball masks cost anywhere from 10 to 80 bucks. Good boots cost 80 bucks or more. Dont skimp out on those two.

Other than that, you could show up at a game with a gun, charged battery and one or two 500 round hicap magazines and play

ap27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 15:27   #4
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

Gear is half the fun IMHO
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 15:30   #5
Eeyore
Suburban Gun Runner

Hi, most gear has uses. Camo helps us stay hidden, a mag pouch is where you keep magazines etc. Some of the gear does help protect us too.

While you do not have to wear any gear at all most hosts will ask you to gtfo if you don't make a minimal effort to suspend belief.

In other words if its a friendly skirmish jeans and a hoodie maye be fine,, anything at all serious you are better off playing paintball. Hosts works hard to create an interesting game and nothing fucks that atmosphere up faster that somebody showing up in a jersey.
http://i.imgur.com/wBfBB.gif
Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 15:40   #6
e-luder

Well, at the very basic level, 'gear' is intended for carrying everything you need to 'survive'. It's like Batman's utility belt. The vest provides easy access to magazines for faster reloads, radios for comms, replacement batteries, BB loaders, a dinosaur and some pancakes, and canteens to satiate (very important this). People rig their gear to carry all of this, plus some repair kits if they so choose. Everything is in arms reach. The pants and shirt is for camo (duh). People wear these depending on where and when they play to blend in more with the environment.

If you don't want a rig, obviously be prepared to have some bruises at the end of the game not only from the BBs but from crawling around and all that shit. Have a decent backpack or something to carry all your water and mags and whatever else you want to take with you as some games can last for a while. Also, some teams require proper gear if you want to join but field organizers will allow you to play if at least you make an effort.

Though, I am curious as to what your alternative is to not wearing the gear?

EDIT: 4 replies while i wrote that. damn that was fast....

Last edited by e-luder; April 12th, 2012 at 15:55..
e-luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 15:54   #7
slink182

You need something to carry your stuff in - magazines, spare batteries/ammo, WATER, whatever.

And have you ever gamed in jeans and t-shirts on a summer day?! They're no protection, and will bind up/restrict your mobility from excessive sweating.
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
Stalker stays where he is.
His BB's fly across the country to hit their target.
slink182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 15:57   #8
HackD

It comes down to how *you* want to play, and where you'd like to play at.

For a casual skirmish, you can get by perfectly with a set of civvie hiking boots (you need these for ankle stability - don't sneaker it!) and scruffy darker-colored jeans and a long sleeved hoodie/shirt/jacket. The lighter in coloring the gear or the more it stands out against a background, the more of a BB magnet you are going to be, target wise. This is a given.

If you are attending more serious/focused events, the more casual that you appear, the more you are going to stand out from the crowd. Milsim type events, you are going to be seriously handicapped. Your ability to play 'competitively' is going to be limited, if you don't have the organization of mag pouches, dump pouches, etc. Some sort of tactical vest or chest-rig allows you to mount those things, as well as carry a suitable and convenient camelback type hydration bladder. etc.. etc.

Airsoft, at it's core, is basically a team focused type activity. You do want to try to at least fit in somewhat, if you are going to take it outside of your immediate circle of friends running amuck in a patch of woods in casual dress. Some events require you to assume a camouflage pattern uniform of some sort, to identify you as belonging to one team or the other (ie Woodlands vs Tan camo pattern BDU). Unless you are going hardcore milsim, You DON'T need to go all authentic in assuming a visible role that mimics any particular branch of any country's military. For every thing else up to milsim type events that call for appropriate BDU/gear requirements, you can PMC it (private military contractor) or 3rd world militia it (mix of civvie and military clothing gear) .. the point is, you can pick and choose the military based gear to wear, that will make the game more immersive, enjoyable, and your role in it more effective and competitive.

I do prefer to 'gear it up' .. but i do not follow any particular branch of the military or paramilitary - I've simply got a setup that works for me, based upon available military and LEO gear. The gear that i have, works for casual skirmishes, right up to 24 hr milsims. I bought new, and have about $1k into battledress/gear. You can certainly spend less and still have a half-decent setup to make games more immersive, effective, and enjoyable.

Quote:
Hello,

Last edited by HackD; April 12th, 2012 at 16:01..
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 15:59   #9
Crunchmeister

Remember, gear is not there for looks. It serves a function. It's very, VERY easy to overdo it, and a lot of noobs do. Hell, even some more seasoned "geardos" often show up with FAR more shit than is actually required.

For small skirmishes, you can show up wearing whatever you want as long as you have your eye protection. But in terms of actual milsims where there's a level of roleplaying involved, teams are separated by uniform types. You either follow the rules of the event and fall into a team with the proper colour / pattern, or you don't play.

When it comes to vests and such, they're kind of needed since you need to carry mags, water, dump pouch, and other accessories around with you on the field. The vests or rigs used for that are not for cosmetic purposes. They're actually quite functional and required.
Old April 12th, 2012, 16:15   #10
Jaelommiss

Quote:
Hello,

Once you go to a game or two you will probably realize that we wear the gear because it makes us much more effective on the field. When I started I simply stuffed mags into my pockets because I hadn't gotten a vest yet. My first mag change during a game was brutal (somewhere around 30+ seconds) because I didn't have a sling, G36 mags have lil' tabs that get caught on stuff and because I had to unbutton my pocket. I quickly decided to get a vest and now I love it. I rarely notice it when playing and it makes all my mags/water/food/spare ammo/first aid kit much easier to reach. For me the gear is functional. I wear whatever will maximize my effectiveness. Often military gear is the best for this, but if (hyothetically) a pink dress worked better then I'd use that instead of my vest and camo.

Regarding the bold section, you might be better off going to marksmanship competitions. Although you don't shoot at people, you will have a MUCH more accurate gun and won't have to wear all the army stuff just to fit in. If not shooting people is a deal breaker then try skirmishes or paintball.

Go to a game or three before choosing your preferred game style. I thought I'd like skirmishes with minimal gear, but after having gone to a couple milsims I've found that I enjoyed them more. Everyone will have a favourite game style. Find yours and buy your gear accordingly.

Edit: I need to stop typing so slowly

Last edited by Jaelommiss; April 12th, 2012 at 16:24..
Jaelommiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 16:16   #11
5kull

I changed your text to make my point but at the end, it's all up to you I replaced airsoft and army with Hockey, see if it makes sense to you.

I am extremely new to hockey - I have yet to play a game. Here is my problem.
I enjoy the thought of myself and others shooting a puck to see who's aim/positioning/etc. is best. I enjoy competition.

What I DONT want to do is dress up in hockey jersey, hockey equipment, etc. Nothing against people who like to dress up in all that gear, but it just isn't for me. I fully support safety gear, but just can't bring myself to purchase "hockey" gear to go play.

Here's where I need your opinion. Is it reasonable to have a game with others if I have no intention to wear the "gear" associated with hockey? Is all the "gear" necessary to attempt to have serious games with others?
5kull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 16:19   #12
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

Gear is half the fun, again skrims with no gear are Okay, but serious airsoft games require that atleast at a glance your kit was inspired by (more often than not, but not always) a military kit.
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 16:22   #13
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

keep in mind that there are a lot of people doing serious real fighting in the world with no sling on their rifle, and not a lick of velcro nor a fastex buckle to be found.

gear don't make the shooter.

get goggles get a gun .. and Go

See where it takes you..

It took me to about $20 000 invested in gear and guns.. but YMMV
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 16:39   #14
Basic-Wedge

To put it simply, Airsoft probably isn't for you.

Basic-Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 16:41   #15
Cliffradical
butthurt for not having a user title

You can put some guys together on an afternoon in sweatshirts and slacks to play some shinny, but that's not the same game as playing Hockey in an amateur league at the rink.

Does that make sense?

The camo and the gear is looked upon as Army LARP by some from both the inside and the outside, but ultimately it's all sporting equipment.

A $1200 carbon fibre stick and NHL-sanctioned skates and pads won't make a skilled player, but a skilled player gets that much more of an edge with better equipment.

Likewise, a skilled player can play well with any level of equipment, but to play Hockey rather than Shinny any level of player is going to need a bare minimum of SOME kind of helmet, pads, skates, socks, jersey, stick, and gloves.

In Airsoft this translates into head cover, load bearing equipment, boots, socks, camo, primary/ secondary arm, gloves, and for the love of God, water carriage.
Cliffradical is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General