I'm getting to this question now...
Where is the beef?

(on francais: ou est le boef?)
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/aresops/
Ares Ops Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 05:08   #242
C2

Hi everyone, just want to share my prc148
Since the U283 plug is a replica, so I've decided to replace it to a real one .....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0016.JPG (57.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0017.JPG (59.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0018.JPG (58.5 KB, 40 views)
C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 05:47   #243
Lucky131

Send a message via MSN to Lucky131 Send a message via Skype™ to Lucky131
Cool! Did you modify the inner aluminum case or the connector to fit? ... i had to dremel the innercase for 1 hour to get the fit right last time i did it .....
Lucky131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 08:28   #244
C2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky131 View Post
Cool! Did you modify the inner aluminum case or the connector to fit? ... i had to dremel the innercase for 1 hour to get the fit right last time i did it .....
No, I do not modify the case .... but you need a lathe machine to make the connector cirle smaller to fit it
I see a photo that cut the edge of the aluminum case to fit the connector,
here : but this is not mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5zr0jd.jpg (40.3 KB, 99 views)
Old April 4th, 2011, 11:44   #245
alex3_57

Hi all,
Can you tell me if ebairsoft sells the batch 1 or the batch 2?

Thank you
alex3_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 11:53   #246
Lucky131

-.- i wonder how long it will takes untill someone actualla starts reading this 17 pages full of 10times asked questions and the answers ..... yes they have gen.2 .... answered on the first page of this thread .....
Old April 4th, 2011, 11:54   #247
Conker

@C2: Since you rewired it, would it be possible to confirm that the plug layout I've posted on the first page is correct? Just to make sure.

@Alex: As always, best way to tell is if it's got the CCI sticker on top. I'm pretty sure it's been answered already.
Conker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 12:58   #248
Ares Ops Hartmann

Send a message via Skype™ to Ares Ops Hartmann
And I wonder if anybody has EVER used the full functionality of this radio before he screwed it open to mod this replica?

I feel a little bit ignored with my "F-Key Question..."

*Sigh*
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/aresops/
Ares Ops Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 17:44   #249
alex3_57

@Conker & @Lucky131 : I know that someone received a batch 2 from ebairsoft. But i mail the shop and the seller say that they don't know if it's batch 1 or 2 an some have the CCi sticker and other not. I just want to be sure
alex3_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 17:56   #250
Lucky131

Gen.1 run was only limited to 100pcs. to see if people were interested in the radio from what a friend from china told me ....

So every shop by now should have the Gen.2 ether packed by United Star (white boxing) or YZH (Brown Box wich just helped them in making larger nr. of the radios) .....
Old April 4th, 2011, 22:42   #251
C2

@C2: Since you rewired it, would it be possible to confirm that the plug layout I've posted on the first page is correct? Just to make sure.

The plug layout is :
A ----- blue
B ----- Green
C ----- Yellow
D ----- Orange
E ----- N/A
F ----- N/A
Hope it will be helpful .....
Old April 5th, 2011, 03:07   #252
Lucky131

And the Mil. Pin Out is:
A---GND
B---Speaker
C---Ptt
D---Mike
E---N/A
F---N/A
Old April 8th, 2011, 22:31   #253
peepoy

I would like to inquire who and where i can buy and get one or two united star mbitr.
peepoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 22:32   #254
Conker

Right here!
http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=121068
Conker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 18:55   #255
peepoy

I would like to know if this unit is compatible with TASC1 made by TCI.

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conker View Post
United Star AN/PRC-148 MBITR

There currently two offerings: the Spartan and Tactical Workshop working MBITR repros. I personally have no experience with them. There's also a few dummies, the Spartan being usually considered as the only one worthy. But... what about this new contender? A complete set with working military connectors, antennas and competitive functionnality for under 300$... Mmm...
For your pleasure, me and my teammate Yannos ordered two of these : to complete our setups (reenacting), have a good radio and be the early adopters to test them for you!

They are available from several retailers. A group order will also be made here on ASC to save you some money and cross-border trouble

Basic Information
The testing units are 2nd batch (November 2010), recognized by the "CCI" sticker on top. For those who saw Jimmy Sjogren's review (here) might notice that his review unit does not have this sticker which probably explains the differences with ours. "Real Deal" information: Wikipedia, Thales (Official manufacturer's website)

Technical specs
  1. Adjustable stepping (5kHz/6.25kHz/10kHz/12.5kHz/25kHz/50kHz)
  2. Adjustable transmitting power (0.5W/1W/2W/3W/4W/5W)
  3. 100 Memory frequencies
  4. Editable channel name
  5. Voce emission feature (VOX)
  6. Battery indicator
  7. Cable replication
  8. Adjustable backlight brightness
  9. Lockable channel mode
  10. 2000 mAh lithium battery
  11. Headset compatibility: U283/U (electret microphones, or condenser with specific PTT) and Kenwood 2-pins.
  12. Antenna compatibility: TNC

Packaging
  1. 2000 mAh lithium battery pack
  2. 0.34m (13.5po) short antenna
  3. 1.2m (4ft) blade antenna
  4. 1.1m (45po) antenna relocation cable + MOLLE clamp
  5. Power adapter (battery charger)
  6. Programming cable (serial plug... some people might need a USB adapter)
  7. Programming software (see post #2)
  8. User's manual (relatively good english, modern chinese, traditional chinese)
  9. Wrist lanyard
  10. Radio procedures sticker (Medevac/air support/deliberate attack considerations)

Review
Pictures (from the web, I'll take some myself later)

As you can see, the kit is complete. Comes with all you need to use it right away including -something I especially appreciate- United-Star's own version of the Antenna Relocation kit, which allows to install the large antenna on the back of a plate carrier if needed. Unfortunately, the included programming cable uses serial plugs which are getting phased out of most modern computers... You will need either a USB adapter (which might be tricky and cause drivers issues) or, my personal choice, just buy a USB programming cable. Being compatible with Kenwood cables (Kenwood, Puxing, Wouxun, etc... most midrange chinese 4/5W radios) makes it relatively easy to find.

Only thing that seems a bit less professional are the software miniCDs which are blank (not United-Star branded) and... don't always work. Mine did, but I had to send the software to my teammate as his wasn't working for some reason.

Other than this issue, the radio is beautiful; even if it has a plastic outer casing, it has a nice weight, and doesn't have any play anywhere. It feels sturdy, and the plastic is hard (won't get scratched too easily). The U283 comes with a plastic cover, attached with a small lanyard. The channel selection knob clicks nicely in place and the rubber buttons feel great. The LCD is also easy to use.

It is not waterproof, but it is waterresistant. So... if it rains, you shouldn't have any issues. But it's not designed to be submerged, so I would be careful if I have to cross a river or similar situations.

Only complaint I have as far as the exterior goes is the volume knob; it turns too easily, I can definitely see it getting turned all the way up/down ingame, eventually causing communications issues. We'll see later if there's anything to be done about this. If you're using the Kenwood-type plug (or need to program the radio), just remove the two small screws on the "gold" panel at the right of the radio, and make sure you don't loose them!

EDIT: Now that I've gamed it, it is indeed easy to turn the volume button by accident... I personally just set it then added a small piece of ducktape to keep it in place, but I'll check if there's anything else I can do that's less ghetto.

A little realism thing...not huge, but still: the MAST (antenna relocation cable) ends aren't covered, so they are visibly shiny silver. Not a huge issue, but I would've liked if they were either rubber covered or anodized. This should be easy to change with a small piece of heat shrink of the proper diameter.

As far as antennas goes, it's using the TNC plug - same as the real antennas, which can be found on eBay! For those who would prefer more low-profile antennas, it's easy to find SMA adapters to use Puxing/Wouxun/etc antennas. The whip antenna looks good. The blade antenna also looks good; it stays straight in the air if let loose, but also folds down easily without excessive torsion (which could lead to cracks on the joints) if needed. Note that the whip only has the gooseneck part that's working - what's left (the blade itself) is just a dummy for the looks which screws and the tip of the gooseneck.

Don't forget that you need to put some force down, and keep it while screwing on.

The battery pack is detachable and the mecanism is firm, no play at all. Unfortunately, as of feb 26th, none is available separately. I asked the distributor who told be it's not currently planned, but will see what can be done...

So far I used it for two game days (8h) without having to recharge it, so it should be good enough for most people during milsims under 48h (unless you're a designated radio operator and are constantly emitting).

As a base of comparison, a Puxing PX777 has a 1200 mAh battery... and I used had mine for 5 days in -25 weather on hike and it died on the 5th day. At 2000 mAh for the MBITR, it should definitely last long enough.

It comes with a "pin charger" (2,47mm diameter, 12V output, pending confirmation) which you just plug directly into the battery pack (see the small hole, on the battery below). Mine was North-American plug, which is correct for me. I do not know if there is an EU (or other standard) version.

Manual is bilingual (english/chinese). Not perfect, but totally understandable. That being said it's missing a section on software use (no manual on the CD, nothing in the booklet) and the section on programming directly on the radio is very basic, so you'll probably have to play around a bit. Anyone familiar with other radios shouldn't have a problem but newcomers to programmable radios will probably get lost in the options...

I will try to write a basic guide, but anyone willing to help is very welcome!

Many have been asking questions about the U283 plug... well first of all, it is fully working. However, the impedence it has been designed with means that you cannot use condenser mics out of the box.

It will work with, assuming you have the proper plug:
  • Davie's TASC1 (real)
  • Bowman (real)
  • Peltor COMTACI/II (real) with Element/Z-Tactical microphone (it's plug & play without modification)
  • Any repro (Element/Z-Tactical) headset rewired with a U283
  • Peltor COMTAC & MSA Sordins with impedence matching box/mpedence matching PTT
  • H250 (real)
As you can see, given you have the right PTT, it can work with any headset. Otherwise, if it doesn't have the correct impedence, you won't be able to emit properly (reception will work perfectly).

The Kenwood plug will work with all the usual suspects (Z-Tactical/Element, Cavalvy, etc...)

--------------------------

Q&A

Does it work on PMR frequencies?
Yes, it is adjustable within the software. I don't have any PMR radios (here in North-America, we're using FRS/GMRS frequencies) so I can't confirm, but based on the programming capabilities, it is. Emitting strenght is also programmable.

Is it compatible with FRS/GMRS?
Yes (well, 400-470), and yes, programmable either on the radio itself or on the software

(This is my personal radio, which I've "dirtied" a bit with some light paint)

NOTE TO ANYONE LOOKING TO BUY IT
For both FRS/GMRS and PMR frequencies, you should get the UHF 400-470mHz version.

Bottomline: being someone who's striving for realism, I'm glad I bought it. Even with the little issues, which can all be solved somehow,

Feel free to ask any other questions you might have! I will answer these to the best of my knowledge. Please post them in the topic (not by PM) so it can benefit other members... it also allows other people to answer, which can be done much faster than just me. Thanks!

I hope you enjoyed this review and that it will help you make a good and informed decision!

See following post for downloads and other utilities.
peepoy is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews