Tm VSR-10 (Upgrades)

:

Reviews

Old August 11th, 2006, 16:25   #1
bean
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to bean
Tm VSR-10 (Upgrades)

Reviews for the vsr-10 are widespread and cover basically everything there is to know about the gun. So I figured I would write a review of the upgrades and the process of installing them. My vsr curently looks like this http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1457/1001015xx4.jpg . I will hold off on the rest of this review until when I'm home from the 24 hour game this weekend and have a better idea on how the parts work and if they are worth the money.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 16:27   #2
GraveTech

Send a message via MSN to GraveTech
How long is that barrell?
GraveTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 21:13   #3
MMMiles!
Part man, part machine

Holy smokes that silencer really did the trick eh... eager to hear how the upgrades went.
MMMiles! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 22:55   #4
bean
Administrator

Here are the inner workings just incase people are interested
Currently
-Laylax Zero Trigger with Piston Set for Marui VSR10
-King Arms Silencer Adapter for Marui VSR-10 ( 14mm- )
-Laylax Mode-2 23x250mm Slim Supperssor
-Laylax PSS10 6.03mm Inner Barrel for Marui VSR-10 & G-Spec ( 555mm )
-Laylax PSS10 150 Spring for TM VSR-10
-Laylax PSS10 Stainless Smooth Bearing Spring Guide for Marui VSR-10
-Silent damper
The gun should be seated close to 500fps with .2g ammo

Planned Upgrades
-cylinder head pro
-teflon cylinder
-nine ball hop up rubber
-new bolt handle
-strengthnd front sling swivel for bi pod attachment
-steel mag release

The silencer still has about 7 or 8 cm's left in it. I found it very entertaining that the silencer is exactly the same size as the outer diameter of the barrel. It makes the barrel look longer and makes the gun reach it length of over a meter.

EDIT

The zero trigger unit is very easy to install. If you own a TM vsr it only involves cutting a tiny peice of the trigger guard for fitment. With the hfc usr-11 it often requires filing down of the reciever about 2mm to get it to sit with the piston group properly.
Old August 11th, 2006, 23:31   #5
^Hyperion^

I bet you cant use that in CQB !

^Hyperion^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 15:58   #6
bean
Administrator

Well for the minor amount of time i spent playing and the rest i spent angrily working on my gun i noticed a few things.
Positives
-The gun is very silent now
-It leaves big welts at 20 feet (thank you donkorleone)
-It has very good range
-The accuracy is stunning
-At one hundred feet i can hit the top of a pop bottle
Negatives
-God forsaken zero trigger takes much adjustment to get it to mesh properly with the piston
-The reciever needs to be filed down and the trigger needs to be shimmedto fit perfectly

I will make a guide on reciever modificaytion and proper shimming along with what you should be looking for when its shimmed. If you have small arms or are a noodle armed choir girl a 150 spring will be the hardest thing you have ever pulled. Several people who were shorter than me found it very difficult to pull,
Old August 14th, 2006, 15:48   #7
bean
Administrator

Things you will require to upgrade this gun.
Loctite-Things can back off and the gun is rendered usless until tightened. Mainly the barring spring guide and the screw you can put in instead of the silent shaft.
Allen keys- Metric allen keys are a must
Phillips head screw drivers
Old August 14th, 2006, 16:12   #8
Amazing KG3

Send a message via MSN to Amazing KG3
you shouldve seen what that thing did to a catapillar as well as beans patience, i havent heard a soldier swear like that ever
Amazing KG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 16:16   #9
bean
Administrator

Oh its back to working now that things are loctited together. No more swearing and i can go back to dishing out the welts.
Old August 29th, 2006, 13:12   #10
bean
Administrator

Review time.
-Laylax Zero Trigger with Piston Set for Marui VSR10
Once all of the annoyances are dealt with like filing or shimming this trigger is supurb. The sears are made of very good quality steel and look as though they will last many rounds within my current set up. The trigger pull is very smooth and extremly light so caution is advised. The light trigger pull combined with no working safety means you should not walk around with the gun cocked. The zero trigger also requires a small piece of the trigger guard to be cut off. As fo the piston it is made with good material metal and is very light. You can remove the white air break and install the black metal grub screw if you loc tite it in. This will give you a slight boost in fps. The white air break is used to slughtly plug up the cylinder head creating a pocket of air so the piston slowly finishes its last bit of travel to reduce noise.
-King Arms Silencer Adapter for Marui VSR-10 ( 14mm- )
Its a silencer adaptor what more can i say it works but if i were to buy one again i would go witht he positive threaded one. You must remove a tiny o ring if you want to feed a iner barrel into it
-Laylax Mode-2 23x250mm Slim Supperssor
A nice supressor with no markings. The supressor has a positive and a negative end so it can be used on a multitude of guns. The silencer works as it is supposed to but if it were a bit larger may dampen more noise. The silencer is the perfect size and matches the outer barrel's outer diameter perfectly. Has a nice flat black paint job although it doesnt seem as robust of a job as say the paint on the outer barrel of the vsr.
-Laylax PSS10 6.03mm Inner Barrel for Marui VSR-10 & G-Spec ( 555mm )
Its longer tighter and faster than before. The barrel is made of a much higher quality material then the stock barrel. The surface of the inner barrel is very smooth.
-Laylax PSS10 150 Spring for TM VSR-10
Good quality spring that gets you near the 500fps mark with all of the other upgrades. Dont be alarmed if the spring is longer than the cylinder it will settle down nicely once installed. So do not cut off any coils
-Laylax PSS10 Stainless Smooth Bearing Spring Guide for Marui VSR-10
This is a high quality bearing spring guide. It is made sturdy and looks as though it wont break like the cheap plastic one marui installed. Word for the wise is that you should unscrew it and use some thread lock inside it. When you cock the gun it will slightly twist the spring causing the top of the spring guide to turn unscrewing it. If it is unscrewed to a point it wont cock. So thread lock is your friend.
-Silent damper
A piece of rubber meant to make the gun a bit more silent. Im more interested in it dampening the smack of the piston coliding with the cylinder head.
-Laylax spring tensioner
Little black rings you put on the spring guide to give you that little extra power

Any questions about any of the above please feel free to ask.
Old August 29th, 2006, 14:10   #11
tsuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Hyperion^
I bet you cant use that in CQB !
I've actually used a stock VSR-10 indoors for CQB. Highly unwieldly but very effective if you can find time to aim.
That being said, nice review Bean. It's nice to see reviews from Canadian airsofters who actually want to stay under 500FPS rather than the norm of the Americans who all seem to want to get their guns well over 500FPS.
Was your experience with the silent damper positive? I've heard alot of complaints from people saying it makes the gun very inconsistent.
I have the PSS10 430mm inner barrel and PSS10 130 spring in mine and I agree with Bean's statements that they are high-quality parts.
I'm curious about your bolt pull experience. I found the pull on my 130 definitely harder than the stock TM spring but nothing that I noticed after a few shots. I am using a 130 spring but I wouldn't think that the 150 spring would be all that much harder to pull. (Especially with the bearing spring guide installed.) Are you pulling the bolt slowly? If I start thinking about my bolt pull or try to do it silently I do find difficulty with mine but never to the extent that I worry about not being able to cock the rifle.
Again nice review.
tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 14:16   #12
bean
Administrator

We found size to be a huge factor in the bolt pull. I have used a stock spring which i could cock with a finger. A 120 which was a tiny bit harder but still very effortless and now the 150. Yes the 150 is much harder to pull but its still better than say a ca m24 which has a redicoulous bolt pull. The longer your arms the easier it is to cock. I can cock it slow or fast just depends on what i want to do. Im six foot three so that gives you a better idea of my size. I was told the teflon cylinder lowers the friction on the bolt pull and makes it a bit easier so I am looking into that.
Old August 29th, 2006, 16:06   #13
jackel

Man bean a VSR has been a dream of mine for a long time. Now I can live it vicuriously through you! ahahah seriously though I am on your team next time!
jackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 16:26   #14
tsuru

I found that the bolt pull on mine was getting a little rough but since I'm on a budget (who isn't these days) I started looking for an alternative to buying a brand-new cylinder. I came across a suggestion to use graphite lube on the plastic rings that hold the cylinder in place in the receiver. It's been working quite well so far and it's a lot cheaper than buying the Teflon cylinder. On the other hand, the Teflon cylinder isn't shiny chrome like the stock one but that's just cosmetics.
As far as the reinforced sling lug for a bi-pod, I don't think you need it. If you're looking for a swivel model of bi-pod you may still need it but otherwise you probably don't. I've been using a Harris for a while and do leave the bi-pod off most of the time (I've really come to hate it for woodland games) I've smacked the rifle around with the bi-pod on quite a few times and I haven't had any problems with the front sling mount.
I know the USR-11's have a problem with their sling mounts but the TM VSR's don't suffer from it.
I'm only 5'8" and I could see how the additional height would come in handy while cocking this gun
tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 01:10   #15
bean
Administrator

Yeah jackel its quite sweet. I still have to dump mor emoney in it. Once i own every laylax part ill be happy lol. I will have all the parts t build a second vsr almost.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews