Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Snipers Corner

:

Other Regions

Old February 6th, 2006, 13:38   #31
Kimbo
formerly pivot

I think everyone would welcom a "local" airsoft sniper forum. I'd totally be in.
Kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 16:33   #32
Ghillie973

Send a message via MSN to Ghillie973 Send a message via Yahoo to Ghillie973
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI
I like the idea of a sniper's section but here's my issues with it. It's like the sniper clinic and sniper coaurse that Sha Do runs. One of the things he asks of attendees is to keep the information between the sniper crowd. This is not to create anamosity between airsoft snipers and assaulters. The point of it being that to snipe in airsoft (and be effective) is very difficult. The lessons learned on the coarse are to give the airsoft sniper an edge at acheiving proficiency. If everyone has access to that, you take away that edge. I feel the same way about a forum. If the forum discusses subjects such as basic ways to upgrade your BA and pros and cons of different sniper platforms and such, that's great. The problem I see is revealing all the information in one convenient place for everyone. Many airsoft snipers have taken the time to research real sniping techniques and training and figuring out what works for airsoft. If it gets posted up, everyone sees it and then the edge is taken away. I'm not trying to be elitest or anything like that so please don't take it that way. I'm just following the lead that Sha Do started with the clinics and courses.

I second that. If you really want to know how to perform well as a sniper the info is out there. No need to spoon feed it to everyone. If you don't have the patience to google it, you most likely won't have the patience to play the sniper role.
Ghillie973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 16:51   #33
JacoNB

Anyone know when / where the next Sniper clinic (for beginners) might be? I live in New Brunswick, but if it's not out in BC or something, I might be able to travel for one.

I'd love to do something like that.

(Before anyone flames me for not searching, I have... the last one was in October, from what the results suggest. No upcoming ones listed though.)
JacoNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 17:34   #34
SKI

The clinics are in Ontario since that's where Sha Do lives. As for a date, I don't know. I believe that it wouldn't be until the spring at least.
Old February 6th, 2006, 17:49   #35
BC_K
Banned

Okie, Looking to step into the "sniper" platform (well actually just try something new.) but dont want to spend that much.

Highly interested in the KJ MK1 Carbine's, but my only real question is regarding affixing a silencer to one. (To hide a longer inner barrel of course.)

Anyone have any experience with doing this sort of mod? Or know of ways to add a silencer to this gun? (As it doesnt have a threaded barrel as far as I know.)
BC_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 18:13   #36
Drake
E-01

Here's another question for the sniper group: what are you going to use as a criteria for "snipers" (specially if you restrict access to the section)?
Old February 6th, 2006, 18:32   #37
JacoNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI
The clinics are in Ontario since that's where Sha Do lives. As for a date, I don't know. I believe that it wouldn't be until the spring at least.
Sweet! Road trip! I should have a good setup by then. I'm still working on a ghillie suit.

(Thanks for the info!)
Old February 6th, 2006, 18:36   #38
bean
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to bean
Bc_k its possible to do. You can order the adaptor from overseas if you can find it in stock i believe kic bb gun carries them. You can make a silencer work on it however. You have to unscre the front sight which leave two little holes in the barrel. Make a silencer from pvc or what have you. Then make it so you can put two small screws through it to go into the outer barrel. The mk1 is utterly useless unless you get a metal hopup. the plastic one on it breaks easy, isnt sealed well and is an all around piece of crap. www.evike.com has a newer hopup its not metal but its worth a try. The barrel is a bit tricky and requires some machining knowledge. It doesnt have a standard hopup so you would have to modify a barrel to work and then dremel out the inside of the gun to allow the extra mm to fit.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 19:04   #39
JacoNB

Thank God there are those among us who know how to do such things.
Old February 6th, 2006, 19:13   #40
bean
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to bean
Dont worry we shall get oyur/my old gun riced up this spring and summer.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 20:34   #41
SCG48
a.k.a. SniperChic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_ghillie
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI
I like the idea of a sniper's section but here's my issues with it. It's like the sniper clinic and sniper coaurse that Sha Do runs. One of the things he asks of attendees is to keep the information between the sniper crowd. This is not to create anamosity between airsoft snipers and assaulters. The point of it being that to snipe in airsoft (and be effective) is very difficult. The lessons learned on the coarse are to give the airsoft sniper an edge at acheiving proficiency. If everyone has access to that, you take away that edge. I feel the same way about a forum. If the forum discusses subjects such as basic ways to upgrade your BA and pros and cons of different sniper platforms and such, that's great. The problem I see is revealing all the information in one convenient place for everyone. Many airsoft snipers have taken the time to research real sniping techniques and training and figuring out what works for airsoft. If it gets posted up, everyone sees it and then the edge is taken away. I'm not trying to be elitest or anything like that so please don't take it that way. I'm just following the lead that Sha Do started with the clinics and courses.

I second that. If you really want to know how to perform well as a sniper the info is out there. No need to spoon feed it to everyone. If you don't have the patience to google it, you most likely won't have the patience to play the sniper role.
As I said before, Tricks of the trade dont get revealed, therefore the sniper section would be something like FAQ's, safety rules, and whatnot. The section is more about what the airsoft sniper is and his/her roles, this way we dont get comments like "snipers are campers" or "you use the role as an excuse to camp" , yadda....yadda...yadda. If you want to spill the beans go ahead, but remember if you run you will only die tired..... :kill: if you really want to learn more about the world of airsoft sniping, do some research and talk to some of us, as im sure we will be friendly enough to talk to you about some aspects (were not friendly when we look like bigfoot, smallfoot in my case).

As I said before, airsoft sniping is not for everyone, it takes a different kind of player to play the role some veteran players can attest that, me I have lots of patience, I can remain at one location for hours if need be, some of you know me for doing that. 8-) dissapear for several hours to return with several kills, not many, but its how you got to the targets and eliminated them :tup: or eliminating them from a fair distance ;-)
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired or reserve - is someone who at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The Country of Canada", for an amount of "up to and including my life."-- Author Unknown
SCG48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 20:48   #42
SKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake
Here's another question for the sniper group: what are you going to use as a criteria for "snipers" (specially if you restrict access to the section)?
That's my point. Where do you draw the line for what info get's devulged and what doesn't? You wouldn't be able to restrict access to the section. I think it would be great for posting up general info so that players interested in sniping can have a little peek into it. Just enough to wet their whistle so to speak.
Old February 6th, 2006, 20:53   #43
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

I don't see any need for restriction. What you will learn reading such section won't make you a leet anti-sniper or uber killing machine with a BA rifle.

What give your thoses skills is trainning and experience. Such a section provide nothing of the two. Just information.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 20:54   #44
SCG48
a.k.a. SniperChic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI
Quote:
That's my point. Where do you draw the line for what info get's devulged and what doesn't? You wouldn't be able to restrict access to the section. I think it would be great for posting up general info so that players interested in sniping can have a little peek into it. Just enough to wet their whistle so to speak.
Exactly my idea of having a section pertaining to the airsoft sniper. There is only one way to see how dedicated one is.......thats called "the sniper Boot camp".........
part of the Sniper Creed is, Though Shall not disclose tricks of the trade.........
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired or reserve - is someone who at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The Country of Canada", for an amount of "up to and including my life."-- Author Unknown
SCG48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 21:28   #45
Drake
E-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperChic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI
Quote:
Exactly my idea of having a section pertaining to the airsoft sniper. There is only one way to see how dedicated one is.......thats called "the sniper Boot camp".........
part of the Sniper Creed is, Though Shall not disclose tricks of the trade.........

Yeah it was a bit of a rhetorical question. Like I'd mentioned originally, too many people out there seem to think that "sniper" is just about a bolt action rifle and a ghillie suit.

And even if it was, you still have guys with PSG-1s, G3/SG1s, SR-25s, SR-15s, SPRs, HK94/SG1s, SL8/9s and SVDs... and while they may be restricted to lower FPS limits on the field (and lets be honest here, the extra 50 FPS doesn't exactly give you a huge range advantage) would they be excluded from the sniper role?

I've seen people snipe with stock AEGs. And they were good. They were scary. They were stealthy, they could move like the wind, they had the discipline to move after taking one or two shots (instead of getting greedy), and they knew their weapon well enough to put shots on targets and not take shots they couldn't make. IMO half of "sniper" is fieldcraft.

Guns do make up an important part of it, specially in airsoft since most guns require so much work to become accurate and consistent. But too many people coming into it seem to think that just getting a BA rifle and upgrading it to 450 fps will make em an instant sniper.

So IMO maybe the section should be expanded, not only to cover some of the sniper basics, but also include sharpshooter/designater marksman roles, and maybe even spotters (if you want to cover milsim, given how so many sniper wannabes are so keen on going out and being lone wolves).

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Other Regions