Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Night vision project

:

Gear Discussion

Old June 7th, 2011, 19:10   #1
Deadpool

Night vision project

I'm planning on making my own night vision gear, using this vid as a starting point.

YouTube - ‪How to See in The Dark!‬‏

I thought of using a replica NVG as a shell and incorporate the electronics in it. I'm not planning on using as many LEDs as he does since there's not alot of space to mount them.

What do you guys think?

Discuss...

Vérificateur d'age Mauricie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
So you're saying we cannot engage in a hobby once we are older?

Children these days.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 19:21   #2
TheHappy1

Hi Deadpool! If you manage to do it, I,d really like to see what you did! i tried last year to do something similar, never found an old vhs camcorder that was alright for the project. Then, I bought a camera online that was said to be able to use night vision and a mini screen and a flashlight that was made with infrared dels. Once everything connected, I never managed to be able to see in the dark... I think that the camera must be the problem, maybe it was too cheap!? Anyway, I now reused everything to make a little camera on a fishing rod that I can use to see over obstacles. I'll have it on June 11 in Rawdon. If you find me (a taliban doing animation) I might be able to show you the different parts of the system that failed!

You can also go on instructables.com, lots of airsoft and nightvision projects there!
TheHappy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 19:54   #3
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

Only problem is that you are going to be painting yourself for all the other NV users out there.
If you are planning on using this at a game, I would suggest building 6 or more of those project boxes of JUST the LEDs and placing them around the field so that they light up areas you want to see with the NV without making yourself a target.
Cobrajr122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 20:00   #4
philster911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrajr122 View Post
Only problem is that you are going to be painting yourself for all the other NV users out there.
If you are planning on using this at a game, I would suggest building 6 or more of those project boxes of JUST the LEDs and placing them around the field so that they light up areas you want to see with the NV without making yourself a target.
Or buy a flashlight with IR cap/ illuminator, mount it on your weapon/helmet, and you're good to go.

philster911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 20:13   #5
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

Quote:
Originally Posted by philster911 View Post
Or buy a flashlight with IR cap/ illuminator, mount it on your weapon/helmet, and you're good to go.
If you are emitting IR from your person, you are still painting yourself for any op-for that have NV.
Old June 7th, 2011, 20:20   #6
Deadpool

Quote:
If you are emitting IR from your person, you are still painting yourself for any op-for that have NV.
Yes, but 200 lumens of IR right smack in the lens of an NVG will blind the device for a time and it won't paint you for the non-wearers.

Vérificateur d'age Mauricie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
So you're saying we cannot engage in a hobby once we are older?

Children these days.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 20:23   #7
philster911

Quote:
Oh, didn't get your point. Yeah, obviously if you have any illuminator you'll be like a christmas tree for the opfor if they have NVGs, but why would the OPfor have NVGs? Pretty sure the talibans do not have the access to NVGs anyway, or if they do, it's old Gen 1 russian piece-o-crap.

philster911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 20:23   #8
Amos

Not on some of the high end stuff. The high end ones can adjust for that
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 20:31   #9
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
Yes, but 200 lumens of IR right smack in the lens of an NVG will blind the device for a time and it won't paint you for the non-wearers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos View Post
Not on some of the high end stuff. The high end ones can adjust for that
Autogating fuck yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by philster911 View Post
Oh, didn't get your point. Yeah, obviously if you have any illuminator you'll be like a christmas tree for the opfor if they have NVGs, but why would the OPfor have NVGs? Pretty sure the talibans do not have the access to NVGs anyway, or if they do, it's old Gen 1 russian piece-o-crap.
TRUE, however, this is airsoft, so anybody that feels like getting NV, is going to use it.
Russian mil-spec Gen 1 tubes are better then the Gen 1 stuff you are going to find in *insert your choice in sporting goods store here* and even the crappy ones you get in said sporting goods stores are more then adequate for use with IR illumination and low ambient light.
Old June 7th, 2011, 20:32   #10
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
Yea, trust me, no matter how much light you produce, it won't wash out the good stuff. Your IR lights also produce red visible, the more expensive/advanced the LED, the less red glow is produced - but its still there.

Your best bet if you really want to get into the NVG world... just pack some money away, and pick up something decent that requires no IR light.

Its worth saving for, it holds resell value, and they're built to last.

However, if you're looking to just build this as a neat project - then kudos! It is a cool idea after all
c3sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 17:43   #11
Aedan798

Send a message via Skype™ to Aedan798
yeah but anyway NV are only usefull in Night game which are not often seen in QC (as I recall) but for any scenario like the one in Picton (I was there in june 18) and we got real difficulties with people who had NV over people who dont and we got owned on that because of it ...

I remember you Ghost team you and your freaking mentally retarded civilians shooting at us haha was a great game though :P
Aedan798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 17:49   #12
Conker

I intended to do this with a PVS14 shell and Eyeclops cheapo NVG... and unless you know how to do and to wire a custom round screen, there's no way you'll fit anything inside these dummy PVS14. But hey if you do it, props to you!
Conker is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion