Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

1-4x Optic

:

Reviews

Old March 30th, 2008, 19:57   #1
Wangstang

1-4x Optic

Charles Huang posted a forsale thread displaying a 1-4x14mm scope that was rifle worthy a few months ago. After some debate, I pulled the cord and orded one. The unit looks very much like a well known manufactures unit but this one does not have any trade marks and does not come packaged in any way that would lead the consumer to believe they might have gotten a killer deal on the real thing. This is a plus from my point of view. Taking a general design and making it affordable is ok by me so long as it's clear to the buyer that the item being sold to them is a copy losely based on an expensive deisgn but not the real thing. I think making an exact duplicate of the real thing down to the trade marks and then inserting them into the market where they could be confused for the real deal is taking things a bit too far.

Off of my soap box now and back to the scope. Charles said it was rifle worthy so I took it to the range last week and sent about 50 rounds down range with it between setting zero at 100 yards and plinking. The unit never had any problems and the adjustments appeared to be with in the 1/4" per click @ 100 yards spec listed on them. [.223 ammo]

At delivery I did encouter two issues:

The first one was the scope turent adjustment caps were really loose fitting, so much so that one would fall of with a little shaking. I added some # 61 orings to keep moisture out and Charles sent me a new set of caps. That solved the problem. I think the thread depth on the caps was just too shallow and the new caps fixed the problem. It appeared that this may have been an early production problem and I suspect that the units Charles now has are good to go. ]I was sent the first demo model he got from the factory I think.]

The second thing I encountered is the rear lens, viewing end, of the optic can be adjusted to effect focus. This is a good thing but there is no set screw. The way in which you grab the rear of the optic to transition from 1x to 4x can cause the rear lens to unscrew or screw in and impact the focus. I got it to where I wanted it, then backed it out a few turns, applied some blue lock tight and screwed it back in. Hasn't had any backing out/screwing in issues since. Looking at the real unit this is modeled after, I suspect it might have the same issue.

The optic does have eleven levels of illumination and has a black reticle when not in illumination mode. The illumination switches the reticle from black to yellow color. The turrent adjustment clicks feel consistant, not mushy. In the event that the battery dies, the reticle defaults to the black reticle design which is a plus compared to your standard red dot.

The quality of this unit is very good compared to many airsoft products on the market. While I only have it mounted on a rifle that I expect to see nothing but range time with, I do have BUIS that installed, zeroed in and ready to go in the event that I find the scope begins to have problems.

Here are some pics...note that the illuminated reticle pic I posted is at only 1/2 power:

Edit to add: I do not endorse or condone the use of this product on anything at anytime anywhere, this is mearly a post reflecting my expeince/observation of the item in question. I am in no way related to the sale, manufacture, distribution, etc of this product or any other products. Also I have no relation or agreement with Charles Huang/Dragon Red Airsoft.

Last edited by Wangstang; March 30th, 2008 at 20:01..
Wangstang is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews