Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Deep Fire Piston Question

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old May 17th, 2008, 16:18   #1
ecsinc

Deep Fire Piston Question

I'm wondering if if someone qualified would like to assist me with this which I think it would help alot of people on this subject.

Looking at the airsoftmechanics review of the deep fire pistons I would like to ask this:

When should You use a full metal tooth or just the nylon piston?

Metal Toothed:

Nylon Toothed:

M120 (400fps):
Nylon teeth
or
Metal teeth

M130 (430fps):
Nylon teeth
or
Metal teeth

M140 (450-475fpsish):
Nylon teeth
or
Metal teeth

M150 (485-510fps):
Nylon teeth
or
Metal teeth

M160-M170insane (525-deathfps)
Metal teeth duh?

Maybe someone could just copy this below and just highlight the correct piston according to the spring ratings...

Also, should this full toothed piston ever be swiss cheezed? If I understand correctly the teeth need strength to keep them in the nylon body...maybe just swiss cheesing it on the bottom below the teeth would be alright. A M150 in a gearbox with a heavy piston might not be a good idea, but maybe since its made with a nylon body there would be no need to swiss cheese it at all...

Last edited by ecsinc; May 17th, 2008 at 16:20..
ecsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:30   #2
joaz

I personally use the full nylon teeth piston for everything up to M120 for normal usage (lasts 30k - 50k rounds in average) . For rat-rat-rat players and springs above I suggest the metal teeth piston.
joaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 19:26   #3
gvanzeggelaar

Its a bit of a toss up. The metal piston will last longer with stiffer springs but also doing full auto with the metal piston is hard on your gears. Semi is fine because the cycle starts with the gears against the teeth on the piston so it doesn't slam together like it does on full auto
gvanzeggelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 21:22   #4
BIGMEDCIN

In my experience, it's R.O.F VS Spring pressure! I us 120 springs in just about all my and my son's AEG's, using Li-po's or 10.8 batteries, even the best poly pistons only last a couple/three games, using 8.4 or 9.6 and you keep your bursts to 5 or 6 rounds, you could get 8-10 games or the hole season?

but more often than not, the first tooth will break off in short order.

I now use aluminum pistons, "they" wont break but, other parts might? metal on metal dose wear faster, also the piston wearing on the gear box is not good either (this piston you show here would not wear the gear box due to the body being poly)

We have and still do use the deep fire pistons, I used one in a 120 springed CA, it worked great fro about 2 games then the steel teeth rail broke through the front of the piston (hence weak point) I understand they have a new version out now?? but I am skeptical to try an other deep fire in an AEG, my son is running this piston in his SL-9 with shooting 480FPS it has lasted many many games but again, this is semi-auto fire!

110 springs an a 9.6 battery with poly pistons seem to be the best of power and reliability, going into the 120 and higher springs with a higher rate of fire is pushing the limits of most if not all poly pistons (this in my opinion and experience with many many gear box builds and break downs, in other words learning the hard way)

hope this helps.
BIGMEDCIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 22:28   #5
txaggie08

Send a message via AIM to txaggie08 Send a message via MSN to txaggie08
I'm running the full tooth version in my M16, with an M120. Hasn't had any issue after several thousand rounds, outlasted the mechbox shells.
txaggie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 01:19   #6
T_A_N_K

Ive seen the nylon tooth fire 3-4 thousand bbs with no visible wear when we had out AEG workshop testing different products. IMO I would go with the nylon teeth. Yes it may wear out faster, but I rather replace a $15 piston than replace a $80 set of gears.
T_A_N_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 02:14   #7
Jayhad

I've put 8000bbs thru my Prowin mech box and I am shooting a M120, 18.5 BPM @ 418FPS on .20 bbs and a 9.6v 3600mah Battery. I use the metal tooth and haven't had an issue and i ONLY shot full auto.......... but it is a pro-win
Quote:
Originally Posted by kos View Post
I swear, I didn't find out about it till I got home from bangin' little miss rotten-crotch!
Jayhad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 02:47   #8
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Never had any issue with the full nylon tooth piston, but after installing two full metal teeth DF pistons in two different guns, both with bearing spring guides, found that BOTH guns had the piston sieze on the guide's washers. Seriously don't recommend that piston. Get a Modify piston instead, less problems than the DF ones have.

And it was the full metal teeth piston vs. bearing spring guide, changing back to a stock spring guide, the gun ran smoothly no issues.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 03:05   #9
Flatlander

Send a message via MSN to Flatlander
Stalker, are you using those purple, transparent modify pistons? I was not impressed with the one (and only mind you) modify piston I've come across. Set up: modify piston, piston head and I believe modify m100 spring. After about 200 rounds the piston had like a spider crack going almost the entire length of the piston. Good thing the gun was giving me grief and I caught it before it exploded inside the mechbox, haha.

EDIT: I put a deepfire nylon piston in a buddy's m249 running a 170% spring (m120 equiv. roughly) and after around 20k+ rounds it was looking in great shape. I also remember reading on airsoftmechanics that it was one of the highest hardness tested nylon pistons around.

Last edited by Flatlander; May 25th, 2008 at 03:07..
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 03:52   #10
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
I've had zero problems with any Modify piston I've installed. Haven't had any problems with the Deep Fire pistons either. The DF full titanium pistons, with bearing spring guides installed (various makes) have been 2 for 2 siezed mechbox. Stock spring guide, 100% works.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 12:37   #11
Spawn28
I am manly hear me squeek

Send a message via MSN to Spawn28
Deep Fire SUCKS ASS everything i have ever seen or used has be fucked up one way or another fitment issues and just all around shitty material
Old April 2nd, 2011, 13:30   #12
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
Stalker, are you using those purple, transparent modify pistons? I was not impressed with the one
Those are the most brittle, shittiest pistons I've seen. The strip very easily. I've replaced a few.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 21:02   #13
THe_Silencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_A_N_K View Post
t I rather replace a $15 piston than replace a $80 set of gears.
LOL! It must suck paying that much for gears only to have it break! You can't go wrong with XYT gears so stick to them if you want something cheap and strong. Some metal teeth are actually worse then plastic ones since they are so brittle they end up catastrophically shattering. stick with plastic teeth pistons unless you're looking for something specific and know what your doing.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle
-Founder of Steel City Hamilton Infantry and Tactics
-Certified level 43 Autosniper by Commander Amos
THe_Silencer is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications