Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

importing parts vs paying the inflated fees at shops

:

Newbie Tank

Old October 12th, 2012, 21:10   #1
Caelum

importing parts vs paying the inflated fees at shops

I apologize if this is in the wrong place, or if I am breaking any rules by asking about this here, but I am looking at buying a PGC slide (this one: http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/pgc-cnc-g...g17-black.html). I can either buy it in person from my local shop for 120$ plus tax, or order it in from over seas, paying 8$ or 25$ on shipping (for 10-20 day or 3-5 days), then the taxes and duty for importing.

I'm wondering what the better deal is. This is my first time possibly importing and ordering from ehobby/ overseas, so I don't know how much duty or taxes will be. Does anyone have any experience/ advice with this?

Either way I would be ordering the necessary springs and rods from ehobby or redwolf for the slide, would it be more cost efficient just to buy all at once?
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 21:21   #2
redzaku

i would say buy in country, support your local dealers and keep Canada's economy running
За Родину!
BRRRRRT!
redzaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 21:26   #3
scubasteve

I usually try and support the local retailers. But once in awhile I'll dip into the Asian market. IF you had to choose between ehobby and redwolf I'd go with ehobby.
scubasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 21:30   #4
jordan7831
will always be Mike Litoris in our hearts

Buy overseas. Im all for supporting our canadian stores but 120 + tax is highway robery if we are talking about the SAME product.

$70 + $25 3day shipping = $95 total cost. This is still 30 bucks cheaper than a local hobby store. If you got the cheap $8 shipping your cost is $78 which is 42 cheaper than the store.

Plus the slide you want is under 100 so it shouldnt come under the radar of the CBSA for tax purposes.

Last edited by jordan7831; October 12th, 2012 at 21:33..
jordan7831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 21:31   #5
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

even if you went with the cheaper shipping thats 77$ + tax and duty, 10-20 days to get to the BORDER then however long CBSA decides to sit on it for. are you sure its 120?

buy local support local get it faster
R.I.T.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 21:34   #6
Matt 'Maverick' Watts

Did you forget about duty and brokerage as well? And taxes? You'll have to pay all of that when you ship from overseas.
Plus everything RITZ said.
Matt 'Maverick' Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 21:41   #7
jordan7831

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.T.Z View Post
even if you went with the cheaper shipping thats 77$ + tax and duty, 10-20 days to get to the BORDER then however long CBSA decides to sit on it for. are you sure its 120?

buy local support local get it faster
Sorry I disagree. I've paid for the more expensive EMS shipping before on several purchases and its always been in and out of customs within an hour when I look up the tracking info.

I try to keep everything I buy under $100 so it's not worth their attention. I've never had taxes or duties or anything like that. But maybe Im lucky that way.

But thats just my experiences.
Old October 12th, 2012, 21:47   #8
XZIVR

Yeah unless it's an actual gun, stuff doesn't usually sit for long. If I'm in a huge rush to get the parts and can't afford to wait for it to come from Asia, I buy local.

Only problem is the airsoft stores near me all suck. So then my option is order it from somewhere out east and pay shipping anyway, or get it from Asia. And unless I'm in a huge huge hurry, paying $40+ more for the same thing just makes me feel like a chump.
XZIVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 22:52   #9
L473ncy

TBH Personally at that price I'd go overseas. If it was 100+tax in country then you could say there's an argument for/against in country vs overseas but at $120 vs $70+shipping+tax/brokerage I'd go overseas and wait the couple of weeks (plus personally Ive only gotten charged duties/brokerage for about 60% of my items coming stateside or overseas, YMMV).
Old October 12th, 2012, 23:04   #10
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch

If I can get it from overseas without too much of a price increase, I do. I'd even be willing to pay a little more when all is said and done (Shipping, customs, brokerage) simply to keep money out of the hands of the price jacking hyenas we label as "retailers".

I'd run around spouting the "Support community/Canadian retailers!" line, but I won't, since their prices are stupidly inflated for the most part. I've legally imported AEGs for significantly less that retailers sell them for. So at this point in time, fuck the retailers, if you can import it, you're usually better off doing so.
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 23:08   #11
Stealthee
a.k.a. cloaked

If I'm buying a whole lot of parts, I usually go overseas. But if it's just an item or two, then local.
Stealthee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 23:09   #12
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 'Maverick' Watts View Post
Did you forget about duty and brokerage as well? And taxes? You'll have to pay all of that when you ship from overseas.
Plus everything RITZ said.
Most packages going through Canada post get none of those tacked on.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 00:18   #13
disasterarea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gato View Post
If I can get it from overseas without too much of a price increase, I do. I'd even be willing to pay a little more when all is said and done (Shipping, customs, brokerage) simply to keep money out of the hands of the price jacking hyenas we label as "retailers".

I'd run around spouting the "Support community/Canadian retailers!" line, but I won't, since their prices are stupidly inflated for the most part. I've legally imported AEGs for significantly less that retailers sell them for. So at this point in time, fuck the retailers, if you can import it, you're usually better off doing so.
Yeah, that would tend to be my opinion too. Canadian retailers really, really need to adjust the hell out of their prices to stay competitive with the new import regs. One Canadian site has an A&K Mk. 43 up for $580, another for $435. Same exact gun is listed on EhobbyAsia for $289US plus shipping and fees. How in god's name do the local companies think they can still get away with charging what they do?
disasterarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 00:31   #14
jordan7831

Because there is a sucker born every minute ^

This one guy I know shops at the shitty pacific mall stores because he doesnt want to come out and meet with someone to get AV'd. So he's willing to pay for the over inflated prices because of lazyness. Weird some people eh?

FYI, we are talking like $500 for a full metal M4 that we can get on here for a fraction of the price.

I am willing (and have) supported local retailers. But only if their price is right. I want to buy Canadian but not pay more than what is fair.

Last edited by jordan7831; October 13th, 2012 at 00:33..
Old October 13th, 2012, 00:31   #15
phloudernow

Send a message via MSN to phloudernow Send a message via Skype™ to phloudernow
Buying overseas is more worth it the more stuff you buy, tbh i haven't been charged by CBSA at all from just buying mags and parts from Ehobby.

Slides are hard to obtain in country most people just import them from over seas since they are legal to import anyway
Custom SAI BLU Glock Build (Timberwolf Base)
Custom Zev Noveske Shooting Team Glock 34
Project Guns
Custom Zev Dragonfly G17 (Project) (In progress)
phloudernow is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank