Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Will this UHF radio pass thru customs?

:

Gear Discussion

Old April 14th, 2010, 21:20   #1
philster911

Will this UHF radio pass thru customs?

I wanted to know if this UHF radio will pass thru customs, because it's a bang for the price:
http://www.shootercbgear.com/product...roducts_id=113
Thanks!

philster911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 21:31   #2
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

5Watt output. Probably not.
These types of radios are restricted and need a liscence to operate.
You could risk it, but if they find out, byebye.
You might have heard about the large group order of similar radios that got busted a few years ago. The specs where similar.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 21:54   #3
T-Hell

Mine made it from the USA though USPS no prob in the original MOTO box GP68 UHF.... no issues

was opened by customs (their tape all over it) and all fine...

Rhino Living

http://www.nordicbattlegroup.ca
T-Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 21:58   #4
theshaneler

someone can correct me if im wrong, but i do believe that a radio that can transmit between 400 and 430 is a no no.... 430-470 is ok but 400-430 are emergency channels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curo View Post
Look at all the fucks no one gives Miles, look at them. There is a lot of fucks not being given.
theshaneler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 22:05   #5
FlyGuy

You asked...

CBSA won't have a problem with it per se, but Industry Canada will not like it much since it's not certified (against any Radio Standards Specification) for use in Canada. Certification ensures that a minimum level of performance and quality control exists within the radio's design and makes the manufacturer or importer responsible for compliance. It is illegal to import, sell, install, operate or possess any radio apparatus for which certification or other authorization is required without proof that the device meets the applicable standards or proper authorization for the radio has been granted. Also, the advertising label is misleading in that the manufacturer quotes an operating frequency range which does actually include but at the same time continues well outside the designated "Amateur Radio Service" bands yet the manufacturer still says the unit is an "Amateur Radio". Clearly this not in compliance with Canadian rules because it isn't restricted to amateur frequencies only and thus cannot be just an "Amateur Radio".

The practical upshot for you however is that the radio will undoubtedly arrive safe and sound to your door just fine.

HOWEVER...

Should you decide to use it on any frequencies other than those assigned to license-exempt services such as FRS/GMRS where things tend to be more or less like the wild west anyhow, you may actually cause harmful interference to authorized users of that licensed spectrum which you had thought was free and clear, thus resulting in a complaint being lodged with IC. Such a complaint will be followed by one or more of their vehicles carrying extremely sophisticated and expensive equipment driven by inspectors wearing dark sunglasses and devoid of any real sense of humor coming to look for your transmitter. Also, if you (unwisely) choose to operate in the ham bands, the local amateur radio community would be all over you like flies on you know what if you trespass into their bands without authorization. They just love to find and expose pirate operators, and they have the necessary technical knowledge to do so. And believe me when I say this, if IC are called in to find you, they WILL do so no matter how hard you make it for them and you won't be happy about the eventual outcome.

So, purchase your radio and once you do, be smart about where and on what frequencies you choose to operate it (FRS/GMRS) and it's highly likely you will never cause a big enough issue to attract the Feds. Be dumb about it and eventually, you will hear a knocking on your front door.

'Fly

Team GHOSTS - Fides et Amicitia
G-68

"Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted Just an earth-bound misfit, I"

Learning To Fly
© 1986 Pink Floyd
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 22:53   #6
Affliction
a.k.a. Fury a.k.a. VipaMave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
You asked...

CBSA won't have a problem with it per se, but Industry Canada will not like it much since it's not certified (against any Radio Standards Specification) for use in Canada. Certification ensures that a minimum level of performance and quality control exists within the radio's design and makes the manufacturer or importer responsible for compliance. It is illegal to import, sell, install, operate or possess any radio apparatus for which certification or other authorization is required without proof that the device meets the applicable standards or proper authorization for the radio has been granted. Also, the advertising label is misleading in that the manufacturer quotes an operating frequency range which does actually include but at the same time continues well outside the designated "Amateur Radio Service" bands yet the manufacturer still says the unit is an "Amateur Radio". Clearly this not in compliance with Canadian rules because it isn't restricted to amateur frequencies only and thus cannot be just an "Amateur Radio".

The practical upshot for you however is that the radio will undoubtedly arrive safe and sound to your door just fine.

HOWEVER...

Should you decide to use it on any frequencies other than those assigned to license-exempt services such as FRS/GMRS where things tend to be more or less like the wild west anyhow, you may actually cause harmful interference to authorized users of that licensed spectrum which you had thought was free and clear, thus resulting in a complaint being lodged with IC. Such a complaint will be followed by one or more of their vehicles carrying extremely sophisticated and expensive equipment driven by inspectors wearing dark sunglasses and devoid of any real sense of humor coming to look for your transmitter. Also, if you (unwisely) choose to operate in the ham bands, the local amateur radio community would be all over you like flies on you know what if you trespass into their bands without authorization. They just love to find and expose pirate operators, and they have the necessary technical knowledge to do so. And believe me when I say this, if IC are called in to find you, they WILL do so no matter how hard you make it for them and you won't be happy about the eventual outcome.

So, purchase your radio and once you do, be smart about where and on what frequencies you choose to operate it (FRS/GMRS) and it's highly likely you will never cause a big enough issue to attract the Feds. Be dumb about it and eventually, you will hear a knocking on your front door.

'Fly
So can UHF radios be safely used on FRS/GMRS channels within city limits? or can TX'ing still cause interference due to the higher wattage?
Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 23:16   #7
DarkAngel
* Age Verifier status suspended *

Send a message via MSN to DarkAngel
There will always be harmonics transmitted by your antenna on different frequencies. Back in the day, when I had my ham license. How transmitters work is a cruicial part of getting your license. Its very easy to triangulate your signal. Use at your discretion. Any choice you make is your own, but really, unless you are a radio operator, why would you need it?

And no, if you set your frequencies to FRS/GMRS frequencies they should not have issues in city limits. Unless your transmitter is faulty and the crystal is not functioning properly.

Certified Sniper Clinic Instructor and Counter Sniper
Sentinel Arms Customs - Specializing In Unique, One of a kind guns

Last edited by DarkAngel; April 14th, 2010 at 23:20..
DarkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 01:53   #8
Wildlife

Quote:
(...) Should you decide to use it on any frequencies other than those assigned to license-exempt services such as FRS/GMRS where things tend to be more or less like the wild west anyhow, you may actually cause harmful interference to authorized users of that licensed spectrum which you had thought was free and clear, thus resulting in a complaint being lodged with IC. Such a complaint will be followed by one or more of their vehicles carrying extremely sophisticated and expensive equipment driven by inspectors wearing dark sunglasses and devoid of any real sense of humor coming to look for your transmitter. Also, if you (unwisely) choose to operate in the ham bands, the local amateur radio community would be all over you like flies on you know what if you trespass into their bands without authorization. They just love to find and expose pirate operators, and they have the necessary technical knowledge to do so. And believe me when I say this, if IC are called in to find you, they WILL do so no matter how hard you make it for them and you won't be happy about the eventual outcome.

So, purchase your radio and once you do, be smart about where and on what frequencies you choose to operate it (FRS/GMRS) and it's highly likely you will never cause a big enough issue to attract the Feds. Be dumb about it and eventually, you will hear a knocking on your front door. (...)
+1

I've participated in some hunt-the-transmitter games with amateur radio clubs; these people are very good. Most have built/modified their equipment themselves, and are extremely proficient with it. (It's a matter of pride to my hometown ham club; they often helped the local Coast Guard pinpoint stricken ships in the pre-GPS days.) Many hams regularly scan off-band frequencies as well, and are more than willing to help authorities track down unauthorized frequency usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
(...)Back in the day, when I had my ham license.(...)
I've had mine since I was 14; no expiry date, to my knowledge. So you've still got yours, though IIRC you could lose your callsign by failing to pay an annual licencing fee (can't remember to whom, or how much at the moment).

Last edited by Wildlife; April 15th, 2010 at 02:38..
Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 07:22   #9
TechSeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Hell View Post
Mine made it from the USA though USPS no prob in the original MOTO box GP68 UHF.... no issues

was opened by customs (their tape all over it) and all fine...
Likewise, I just got a shipment in from PUXing. No hassles.

North Trail Sports - Mora, Motorola, Puxing, Fogtech & More! / Our ASC Retail Thread
TechSeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 09:02   #10
chronic

I guess it also doesnt help that you dont have an amateur radio license...
Old April 15th, 2010, 09:18   #11
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackthorne
This is the best summation I have ever encountered on this board WRT using modded radios.

This should be a sticky.

Quote:
You asked...

HOWEVER...

'Fly
Old April 15th, 2010, 16:01   #12
philster911

So there should be no problems for this radio to pass thru customs? Because i'm planning on buying two of theses, and i want to be REALLY sure before buying.
EDIT: Saw that they offer 3 different models of radios on their site, which one is the best? :
http://www.shootercbgear.com/product...vcklo7ln525053
http://www.shootercbgear.com/product...vcklo7ln525053
http://www.shootercbgear.com/product...roducts_id=113
Thanks!

Last edited by philster911; April 15th, 2010 at 16:42..
philster911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 20:24   #13
FlyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackthorne View Post
This is the best summation I have ever encountered on this board WRT using modded radios.

This should be a sticky.
Thanks for your endorsment but I have two other (old) messages which elaborate on this subject in greater detail. To save you time searching the ancient archives, I will post links below:

Internal Link #1

Internal Link #2

Hope this clarifies things, and to the originator of this discussion, yes...most likely (99.999%) any of those radios you've identified will pass thru CBSA un-harmed simply because surveillance of uncertified radio equipment isn't exactly their highest priority task. Doesn't mean it can't happen but the odds are super ridiculously low. Of course IC would like to have it otherwise but they don't dictate CBSA enforcement policy...

'Fly

Team GHOSTS - Fides et Amicitia
G-68

"Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted Just an earth-bound misfit, I"

Learning To Fly
© 1986 Pink Floyd
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 19:23   #14
Crossbones

I would like to know what kind of radio you all use?
I like the Motorola GP68

I really need your feedback!
Crossbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 19:34   #15
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbones View Post
I would like to know what kind of radio you all use?
I like the Motorola GP68

I really need your feedback!
Talk to the people you play with. Personally I use a Wouxun KG-UVD-1P and a motorola talkabout.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion