Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

are airsoft sniper spring guns worth it?

:

Newbie Tank

Old July 26th, 2014, 21:18   #16
HAMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by leth1337 View Post
see bolded: depending on the game type/length (ie. 8-30h milsim games) it can take you MUCH MUCH longer and sometimes thats what you want.

there was one milsim i attended last year where i skull dragged about 200' over an hour and 45 min or so. the spikes of adrenaline as the enemy walks past is one thing i'll never get tired of!
That's exactly what I want to do!
Old July 27th, 2014, 00:34   #17
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

keep in mind, if it takes you 2 hours to shoot the enemy commander and he respawns in 10min, you are not helping your team in the least little bit.

My own style was to not use ghillie, just walk around behind enemy lines and hunt the enemy. Most often I'd be on the enemy's side of a fortification we were attacking, so I'd have bad guys front and back, but I'd have good positioning on anyone moving up or behind buildings.
Don't try to work for yourself, remember you still have to be part of a team!
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 13:34   #18
HAMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
keep in mind, if it takes you 2 hours to shoot the enemy commander and he respawns in 10min, you are not helping your team in the least little bit.

My own style was to not use ghillie, just walk around behind enemy lines and hunt the enemy. Most often I'd be on the enemy's side of a fortification we were attacking, so I'd have bad guys front and back, but I'd have good positioning on anyone moving up or behind buildings.
Don't try to work for yourself, remember you still have to be part of a team!
Absolutely, I'm getting into this to help my team, specific targets, recon, ect.
Old July 27th, 2014, 15:16   #19
HAMR

It would be fantadtic if there were a sniper specific team.
Old July 27th, 2014, 16:11   #20
ThunderCactus

hard enough to find one legit good sniper in a province at any given time, let alone a whole team of them!

The most effective "team" I've found, is just running with a "spotter". But it's not a typical hollywood or real world spotter. You don't need help determining where you hit in airsoft. The spotter's primary and pretty much only role is to save your ass when shit hits the fan.
It's also an extremely boring job. You sit there, in stealth, away from the sniper to not give away his position, and just watch him do his thing until people start attacking. Then you lay down heavy fire as he gets the hell out of there.
Unsurprisingly, many people are extremely bad at this very simple job. Either they don't know where or how to hide, move too much, or freely engage targets of opportunity.
Old July 27th, 2014, 16:20   #21
leth1337

Where in the country are you located HAMR?
Old July 27th, 2014, 18:03   #22
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

A good sniping platform will need to be upgraded and will run around 800-1000$ when done. Next, you need a good ghillie suit. Not the cheap crap sold everywhere. You need a custom one, like you see in my banner, so you can crawl with it and adapt it on the fly to your surrounding.

Then you need skills, luck patience and a good dose of endurance.

Stalking take time, effort, pain and balls. A lot of people botch the stalking part and just run in the action. They fail as a sniper, even with 2000$ worth of gear.

Noob snipers are useless. They get frustrated, want kills and make bad judgement calls with a hot rifle. That is a perfect recepy for bad injuries.

A headshot with a 450fps rifle, shooting .30g BB inside the 40ft MED will embed the BB in the skin.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 19:48   #23
ThunderCactus

I've never used a ghillie, but had a lot of success just relying on positioning, using concealment, and just avoiding people's peripheral. I also preferred the added mobility, manitoba was pretty dense underbrush, so a ghillie would get tangled and caught in everything fairly quickly. Plus there was enough deadfall and underbrush to hide without the need for extra camo.
Mind you, you really have to know how to hunt to get that right.
It's been my experience that a stationary ghillie, *in the right environment* will be very invisible, but you take it just slightly out of it's element and it stands out. Especially when you're moving faster than a cat crawl, it's a big mass that's moving.

I highly recommend trying it without the ghillie first, then getting a ghillie later on when you know what environment you want to use it in. Or not, if you're comfortable and effective at just avoiding detection on your own!
Old July 27th, 2014, 22:08   #24
HAMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by leth1337 View Post
Where in the country are you located HAMR?
Ontario near Barrie.
Old July 27th, 2014, 22:14   #25
HAMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
hard enough to find one legit good sniper in a province at any given time, let alone a whole team of them!

The most effective "team" I've found, is just running with a "spotter". But it's not a typical hollywood or real world spotter. You don't need help determining where you hit in airsoft. The spotter's primary and pretty much only role is to save your ass when shit hits the fan.
It's also an extremely boring job. You sit there, in stealth, away from the sniper to not give away his position, and just watch him do his thing until people start attacking. Then you lay down heavy fire as he gets the hell out of there.
Unsurprisingly, many people are extremely bad at this very simple job. Either they don't know where or how to hide, move too much, or freely engage targets of opportunity.
Yea thought it would be slim to none lol
Old July 27th, 2014, 22:21   #26
HAMR

Guille I see as being useful but optional, if I do use one it will be home made (got a faded bdu that's perfect).
I see it being useful for not only cammo but to stop those bugs harassing you while lining up a shot, nothing worse than a mosquito buzzing in your ear while trying to focus.
Though it would be bad for heat and tangles.
Old July 27th, 2014, 22:34   #27
Comeau-SCS

A good ghilli are some of the best camoflage you can have and sniping is all about stealth. Once made to your size and adjusted well it is a lot less cumbersome. Then you need to know your environement on where to hide.
To get back on the original question I would never advice a new player to start as a sniper because of the cost of the rifle (to be effective) and the difficulty with sniper role in a squad. However if that's exactly you want to do go ahead.
Comeau-SCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 06:03   #28
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMR View Post
Guille I see as being useful but optional, if I do use one it will be home made (got a faded bdu that's perfect).
I see it being useful for not only cammo but to stop those bugs harassing you while lining up a shot, nothing worse than a mosquito buzzing in your ear while trying to focus.
Though it would be bad for heat and tangles.
Ghillie suit sadly don't stop the moskitoes buzing and biting you.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 20:20   #29
HAMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOX_111 View Post
Ghillie suit sadly don't stop the moskitoes buzing and biting you.
Dam
Old July 28th, 2014, 22:46   #30
chaz

If anything I find my ghillie when I wear it attracts more bugs lol
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank