Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

New Barrel and Hop up Bucking

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old March 7th, 2015, 23:10   #1
Lutarez

New Barrel and Hop up Bucking

Hello. After my purchase of an Elite Force 4Crl a few months ago I wanted to replace the barrel and the hop up bucking. I decided on a 363mm Prometheus tightbore barrel and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a bucking that works well with that barrel?

Also could someone tell me what a potential increase in the range could be if I replaced the barrel and bucking?
Lutarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 00:16   #2
Shamusodoofus

If you install the new parts properly, you will likely increase your effective range. How much range? I do not know, and no one is going to be able to give you an accurate number because there are way too many factors to consider. The Elite Force 4CRL is a VFC rebrand so it's already going to shoot reasonably well.

As for what bucking you should use, it would vary with the FPS the gun is shooting. I personally like the PDI W-Hold bucking as the best multi-purpose bucking. Others will have different opinions, I'm certain. If you are handy or don't mind paying a gun doc, the absolute best "bucking" would be R-Hop, this I'm certain most would agree with. Prometheus barrels happen to be very easy to R-Hop when compared to other barrels so that's good. If you're building an indoor gun though, I would personally avoid the R-Hop and just go with the PDI W-Hold. You won't really be using your gun at far enough distances to really make use of R-Hop.

Last edited by Shamusodoofus; March 8th, 2015 at 00:19..
Shamusodoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 14:58   #3
airsoftmaniacman

If you have access to a Bridgeport mill, even the infamous slanted windows on a PDI become easy to R-hop or extend for flat hopping.

Asking for a range increase estimate is like telling a doctor, "If I eat one serving of broccoli every day for the rest of my life, how much longer will I live?"

You haven't given us enough information. We need to know what ammo you are using, both weight and brand/quality. We need to know what energy output your gun is shooting. We need to know if compression is perfect.
airsoftmaniacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 16:46   #4
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

We cant tell you because we dont know how far you shoot right now.
But assuming you have great compression and install everything properly, expect to be in the 180-220ft range with .28s at 1.48j with a good hop rubber
flat hop is also good, easy to do and gives good results
And if you need to mill a barrel to get an rhop patch to fit, you need to take a step back and re-evaluate your gunteching abilities lol
hard to tell from the pic I guess, but that's an unmodified orga 6.13 with the same \_/ shape window as the PDI

Last edited by ThunderCactus; March 8th, 2015 at 16:49..
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 17:23   #5
Lutarez

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
We cant tell you because we dont know how far you shoot right now.
But assuming you have great compression and install everything properly, expect to be in the 180-220ft range with .28s at 1.48j with a good hop rubber
flat hop is also good, easy to do and gives good results
And if you need to mill a barrel to get an rhop patch to fit, you need to take a step back and re-evaluate your gunteching abilities lol
hard to tell from the pic I guess, but that's an unmodified orga 6.13 with the same \_/ shape window as the PDI

Thanks for the help
Old March 8th, 2015, 17:24   #6
Lutarez

I meant to use a smiley face
Old March 8th, 2015, 22:34   #7
Lutarez

I am going for a outdoors gun but I don't want to send my gun to get the r hop installed so I was wondering if the Prometheus barrel with the pdi w hold and flat hop would be fine?
Old March 9th, 2015, 00:03   #8
Comeau-SCS

Both PDI W and flat hop are good. However they are 2 different things. The W have two contact point on the BB and uses normal nub. The flat hop need a flat nub or bridge type.
Comeau-SCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 10:26   #9
Lutarez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeau-SCS View Post
Both PDI W and flat hop are good. However they are 2 different things. The W have two contact point on the BB and uses normal nub. The flat hop need a flat nub or bridge type.
Would you be able to suggest something else?
Old March 9th, 2015, 10:59   #10
_Whiskey_

PDI W on a Prometheus barrel would be perfect in my opinion, My C7A2 (look a like) has one of those buckings on a stock barrel and it preforms very well
_Whiskey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 11:38   #11
Zack The Ripper

Send a message via MSN to Zack The Ripper
PDI W-Hold rubbers are good. They will cause a slight drop in your velocity, anywhere between 5-15fps depending on your overall air seal in your barrel grouping as a whole - some brands of rubbers are thinner than others, some hop up units have tighter tolerances than others. I find the W Hold rubber stiffens in cooler temperatures. This means that the first few shots will be inconsistent until the rubber "warms up" from the friction of feeding, then it's glamour shots from there. This usually only occurs in temps under 10 degrees Celsius. Overall, not a bad starting point.

RHop, IR Hop, and ER Hop are all fancier methods to create a large contact patch for the BB to grip to. These take a skilled hand to do correctly. Very accurate and most importantly consistent compared to most methods.

Flat Hop and Bridge Hop are solid. They get comparable results to the R Hop methods above, though not quite as fine tuned. Still, very accurate and consistent.

Prometheus purple rubber gave me fantastic range and accuracy using a Prometheus tight bore barrel for the better part of last year. Was getting out beyond 250 feet at 395fps on a 300mm inner barrel using 0.30g BBs. About 220feet of EFFECTIVE range. I am now using a bridge hop setup for me by pestobanana. Have only been doing indoor play with lightweight rounds, so haven't been able to max out effectiveness yet. More testing will come when the weather warms up. Hoping it will have pushed the effective range out to that 250 foot nark, but time will tell.

Start with the least expensive methods, play around with it for awhile, and then move on up the ladder to see personally what gives you better results. More fancy, more expensive methods aren't always the best solution for some guns, you'd be surprised.

Last edited by Zack The Ripper; March 9th, 2015 at 11:50..
Zack The Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 12:21   #12
Comeau-SCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutarez View Post
Would you be able to suggest something else?
Nah, unless you want to R-hop take one of these.
Comeau-SCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 23:16   #13
Lutarez

Could someone show me a site that sells a 363mm prometheus barrel and pdi w hold?
Old March 9th, 2015, 23:32   #14
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

ehobbyasia?
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 17:36   #15
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutarez View Post
Could someone show me a site that sells a 363mm prometheus barrel and pdi w hold?
I've got both at my store you want it for the weekend. I've also got what you need to do flat hop, bridge hop, or rhop.
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications