Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

First post - a bit confused

:

Newbie Tank

Old December 5th, 2010, 13:43   #1
Elmaestro

Send a message via MSN to Elmaestro
First post - a bit confused

there are so many stickied posts and whatnot that it got me confused...I think I understand the basics and I've a few searches on the site to answer a few questions but I still have a few questions that I can't seem to find a specific answer since there are so many topics that match my keywords that I am getting lost.

My question is...being new..is there a weapon I should go for?

I'm sure age won't be a problem for acquiring any weapon anywhere so my only concern would be money and quality.

I have a thing for realism so electric weapons - a bit no no for me haha.

so from my understanding and research..Gas BlowBack (GBB) weapons are what is closer to realism?

I was thinking of starting off with stock weapons and upgrade as I start playing and start getting a hold of the physics of airsoft...ing?

So I wanted to go for a pistol...an M9 + a rifle (maybe an m4?) to start with.

What would you recommend for M9s and rifles? specific make? specific retailer? anything I should look for?

Thanks.
Elmaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 14:15   #2
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

Hey, you are already off to a great start by researching on your own, we like that

First things first, since you said you have been reading stickies, I hope you read all the FAQs and know about our AV system. From what you say, you are over 18, at least I hope :P
I would suggest that getting AVd be your top priority right now, this way you can get a look at our buy/sell and retailers section, where there is plenty of new and used rifles and pistols.

What you are seeking, our retailers have plenty of. I would personally recommend the KJW/TK M4 GBBR. Probably the best for the realism you are looking for, and its a GREAT performer.
Running a GBBR can very very costly to get up and running, Getting enough mags to go a good amount of time in a game will cost the same or more then the price of the rifle. Upkeep of the rifle can be a little more time consuming, but its well worth it.

Welcome to the forums, have fun!

Last edited by Cobrajr122; December 5th, 2010 at 14:18..
Cobrajr122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 14:17   #3
SniperSam

Send a message via AIM to SniperSam Send a message via MSN to SniperSam Send a message via Skype™ to SniperSam
GBB is usually for more realism since there's...wait for it: blow back. But GBB weapons tend to have more parts to take care of and maintain, it's usually recommended to start with an AEG to get a handle of the internals, and gradually work your way up upgrading those to get the understanding of upgrading GBB rifles and pistols

Whoa guy with the thumb rings, save some pussy for the rest of us

Welcome to Bed Bath and Beyoncé, if you find anything you like, put a ring on it.

What idiot called them Black Bears instead of African Abearicans
SniperSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 14:18   #4
SuperCriollo

If and only If you are over 18 I would recommend you getting a gun. Otherwise you would be stuck with a very expensive wall hanger since you wouldn't be allowed to use it in any games. with this clarified, the first thing to do is getting aged verified so you can have access to the classifieds and Av retailers in this website. If you don't like buying online like me, you can always go to a reputable army surplus store. Some of them have guns in stock, but of course is a little more pricey.

cheers

SuperCriollo
SuperCriollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 14:19   #5
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSam View Post
GBB is usually for more realism since there's...wait for it: blow back. But GBB weapons tend to have more parts to take care of and maintain, it's usually recommended to start with an AEG to get a handle of the internals, and gradually work your way up upgrading those to get the understanding of upgrading GBB rifles and pistols
GBBRs and AEGs are so unalike, learning how a mechbox works will be of no benefit when repairing a GBB.

Last edited by Cobrajr122; December 14th, 2010 at 00:59..
Old December 5th, 2010, 14:21   #6
SniperSam

Send a message via AIM to SniperSam Send a message via MSN to SniperSam Send a message via Skype™ to SniperSam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrajr122 View Post
GBBRs and AEGs are so unalike, learning how a matchbox works will be of no benefit when repairing a GBB.
My bad, i thought the hop up and such were the same principle

Welcome to Bed Bath and Beyoncé, if you find anything you like, put a ring on it.

Old December 5th, 2010, 14:24   #7
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

Quote:
My bad, i thought the hop up and such were the same principle
They generally are, but its a simple concept to grasp no matter what your using
Old December 5th, 2010, 14:27   #8
Disco_Dante

Personally I think GBBRs are a lot easier to take apart and clean. I can strip, clean, regrease and reassemble my WE m4 a hell of a lot faster than I take down an AEG and reassemble a gearbox.

Balancing that however, is the fact that you need to frequently take apart and clean a GBBR, at least every 10 mags or so I do it. With an AEG you can go tens of thousands of rounds before a problem is encountered.

Not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.
Disco_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 14:30   #9
SniperSam

oh boy...im an idiot

Old December 5th, 2010, 14:31   #10
L473ncy

Anything from the AR15 or AK families (as well as the G36 and MP5 to lesser extents) will be perfect as those are the guns with most aftermarket support and upgrades/accessories. They all run on a V2 or V3 mechbox.

If you want a GBBR you should probably plan on spending at least $1500 minimum to get it to "gameable" state. That is unless you decide to get something like the KJW/TK M4 in which case they're pretty good out of the box.

You should really just spend your money on one good primary for now then later down the road next year or maybe next paycheque but a pistol. ie. don't buy quantity, instead buy one really good gun instead of 2 not so good ones.

As for retailers I can't tell you where to go since you're not verified but it's not like it's hard to find that info if you've already seen the FAQ's. Work on getting verified it's definitely worth it, I've bought like 99% of my airsofting stuff from the classifieds.
Old December 5th, 2010, 14:42   #11
TokyoSeven
Red Wine & Adderall

Quote:
oh boy...im an idiot
You should probably start refraining from attempting to assist.

"Its only a little bit on fire"
TokyoSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 14:57   #12
Eeyore
Suburban Gun Runner

Also keep in mind where you are in the country and the time of year it is. I see you are from Montreal like me, thats good because we have the second largest group of players in the country and the best events.

Gas blow back rifles and pistols do not like the cold, so basically they are problematic from fall to the start of spring. This can be avoided by playing indoors and by using co2 mags instead of propane. AEGs and spring guns are a better choice for colder times of the year. I would suggest getting an AEG as your first gun and then branching out to gas guns after. Most of the players who game gbbrs bring an electric gun as a back up.

All this however is contingient on the fact that you are in fact an adult. If not then you will have to wait to play, but please feel free to stick around and read and learn and enjoy the community.

Tom
http://i.imgur.com/wBfBB.gif
Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 15:24   #13
Elmaestro

Send a message via MSN to Elmaestro
Thanks for all the replies (except a few...lol)

anyway...

As far as the learning curve goes, I'm a hands-on guy... I much rather buy a GBB and take it apart a hundred times to get to know the gun and be very familiar with it.

As far as AV goes,
Yes I've read up on it and yes I'll get to it when I have time or maybe at a first game?

I have no problem with telling you I'm 20 because I know I am 20 and more than able to buy a gun and get myself AV'd at a first game (if it can be done??)

anyways, I'll have to see if I have time. I'm getting into law studies so I'll most likely have a ton to do.

so back to the guns,

I'm going to be comfortable spending an initial 400-500...600$ on a rifle (enough??)
I don't want to go with AEG at first, I want to start off in GBB and learn with it.

I'm more of a Lego guy..not a playmobil guy (If you can understand such analogy ...I suppose you know what I'm talking about)

In the upcoming days, I'll go to an army surplus and buy myself a handgun.
the one I saw was 295$...If I remember correctly it was some asian (chinese, japanese? excuse me if I can't remember specifically lol) brand and it was an M9? (not sure it was an M9...can't remember)

I'm more of a pistol guy too so I think I'll just go for a pistol (less expensive than a rifle?) and work on my learning curve about GBB guns with the M9 and then buy a rifle.

I really don't mind kicking your asses only with a pistol lol (I'm good with my fingers hehe)

yeah...I think that's just what I'll do.. buy an M9 and learn everything there is to know about GBB and the maintenance etc...

by the time I'm finished with the M9, I'll be able to take it apart and back eyes shut.

so yeah... um...I have to run now (gotta proofread and correct my gf's essay)

I'll be back to read the replies later.

thanks for the warm welcome too!
Elmaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 23:10   #14
J-Man19

You may want to get your priorities in order... last time I checked post secondary wasn't cheap.

Everyone is telling you to get a rifle before a pistol, might want to listen to them. Odds are a fair number have made the same mistake you are about to make and realized too late how badly outgunned they were at a game. Pistols are classified as secondary weapons for a reason.
J-Man19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 23:31   #15
flack

9 days later...
flack is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank